PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

These guys have families. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I'd love to be an athlete, many on this board would feel the same way. But do not forget for one minute, that most of them pay the price. Forget about the damage from hitting your head all day, just try to get out of the bed in the morning and walk down a flight of stairs. Like I said, I'd like to be an athlete, maybe the kicker.
Football players often pay the price for the rest of their lives. Dan Dierdorf - a guy who was playing not all that long ago - has been using a cane for quite a while. Earl Campbell practically needs a wheelchair. And Mike Webster got so concussed it led to dementia and eventually a death which was far too premature.

Yeah and these days you can't even get some players to wear safer helmets.

Which I hate to say is led primarily by Tom Brady. His helmet is ridiculous. He barely straps the thing on (yes, I know there are others but name a player not named Peyton Manning these days who commands as much attention), wears a facemask with no chin protection and apparently refuses to wear the Revo style helmet.

Ty Warren has a family

Tom Brady has a family

Ryan Wendell, Rich Ohrnberger, Isaiah Stanback, Thomas Williams - families ... what is a family :confused2:

Was it really? I don't remember it being like this. The closest to these levels of hysteria I remember was during the 08 preseason games, which I believe is where "Blow It Up" came from.

Playing devil's advocate:It's possible that things could be sliding away. Just possible.

2007: Historic season that was as close to a blitzkreig as as ever been seen in the history of the NFL. But for a fluke play, the greatest team and season in history. No worries--same team next year, we'll finish the job.

2008: Unthinkable happens in 1st quarter of game one. Season lost, but team still did surprisingly well without Brady, ALMOST got it done and could have done damage in playoffs. If we can do this w/o Brady, think about what the team will do when he comes back.

2009: Sure, Brady may not be fully healed, and may need another year, but still not the same Brady by any stretch of the imagination. Welker misses a few games, then goes down right before playoffs and may be lost for all of 2010. Moss plays hurt and may be breaking down. Defense not getting it done--no leadership, lockerroom dissention with cancer AD leading the way. Brady seemingly uninterested (for Brady) at times. Coaching/coordinator problems, BB's decisions being questioned repeadedly, both on the field and personell-wise. Loss of coaches/FO personell. Bad drafts prior to 2009 catching up to us. Some players appear to be taking it easy in the offseason so far.

In other words, nothing but a boatload of ?'s going into 2010 compared to previous last two off-seasons.

Totally understandable that some people are freaking out, or at least trying to look at the situation objectively. Personally, I'm optimistic about next season and think we've made pretty much all the right moves so far with our signings. Ironically, I'm the most worried about where Brady and Moss's heads are at. I have no way of knowing the answer, and I trust in BB, so I'm going to try to enjoy the ride. :)

Last year got pretty brutal at times. Remember the trade Brady thread(s), for example?

Before the draft you get all the Chicken Littles wondering why the hell the Patriots didn't sign 42 All-Pro players within the first 15 minutes. After the draft, you get all the homers wondering how the hell Belichick managed to draft a future Hall Of Fame player with every single pick he used.

This year will be interesting, because it's the first time since 2003 that the team's actually coming off of a truly disheartening season where there are no excuses for the way the year played out. That has made the haters more aggressive and the homers more rigid in their defenses. That should ratchet up the intensity more and more as the offseason goes on. Hell, we're all still just wondering if Brady is angry and why Thomas didn't know when offseason workouts began. Just wait until the Patriots pass on a top notch defensive end, or linebacker, in the upcoming draft, in favor of a tight end, wide receiver or running back. The Chicken Littles will have a fit, and the homers will pop a circuit trying to defend an almost indefensible decision.

This. But I also think the question about Brady is a legitimate one. One poster talked about the leadership ultimately needing to come from him. This is his team. So far, haven't seen much. What goes on behind the scenes is anybody's guess.

Actually, going just by pictures I think there are a lot of at least somewhat hotter women.

But I take Tom's word for it when he says she's also a very special person. ;)

That's fine, I can respect that. But I still think it's utterly moronic when a reasonably attractive woman is shown/discussed and these internet heroes start teeing off on how ugly she is while they're desperate for whatever they can get or have a partner they wouldn't dare show off to the world.

Actually players here have two families, each of whom demand or deserve attention. I have no problem with a player who has a legitimate reason to miss voluntary OTA's. Adalius isn't claiming one, he says he didn't know they had started. Of course that is BS since they send every player home with an off season plan and program to follow unless, of course, that player never showed up for his exit interview (like Bledsoe in 2002 who also failed to respond to numerous attempts by the team to contact him thereafter) because he assumes he is gone...

Ty admits he could have done his school work towards his degree here. He simply chose not to. And as a result he will not participate in any of the off season workouts aside from the mandatory ones. Perhaps when he made that decision he was assuming Vince wouldn't be here due to his contract situation... Guys like Pryor and Brace would probably benefit from his presence, but whatever... As for Tom, according to Felger's sources he has a custodial obligation that requires him to remain in California for a certain length of time in the off season. I'm sure he will be along once that has been fulfilled.

While Tom was not medically cleared to participate in some of the organized OTA's last season because of his rehab, he was here and did put in his hours in the weight room (and likely the film room as well). I recall Jonathan Kraft making it known that on the eve of the conditioning program opening last season he happened on the QB in the midst of a workout as he was leaving the facility for the evening...

The program does not run 24/7, but rather 4 days a week for about 13 weeks including the mandatory OTA's. Some players commute for much of the offseason. Their bonus money often reflects that, as well as the significance the team places on their attendance. Ty has attended the program for 8 seasons, commuting to and from Houston midweek like a dad who works out of town might. Ty's workout bonus of $250K would appear to be the most significant on the team.

I have yet to hear why Randy is MIA although I don't doubt he has a reason and emoney will likely expound on it if he reads this and his randydar goes off. I'm sure he is working out since he always has, although being in shape is only part of the reason teams strive for higher attendance in their off season programs. Another is because that is where teams begin the process of building chemistry and rapore and committment to each other within units and across the roster.

Saw this article posted on the planet yesterday. Thought I'd post it since everyone here is so caught up lambasting or defending roster moves or lack thereof they likely missed it. Just a little glimpse of how the rock star and his uber-model's lifestyle.

Gisele Bundchen Talks to Vogue's Joan Juliet Buck on Having a Baby, Tom Brady, and Sejaa

Ty Warren has a family

Tom Brady has a family

Ryan Wendell, Rich Ohrnberger, Isaiah Stanback, Thomas Williams - families ... what is a family :confused2:

according to WEEI (D&C)

brady has a pit bull, now, too.......

turn the lights on and your dog is eating one of your kids

Actually players here have two families, each of whom demand or deserve attention. I have no problem with a player who has a legitimate reason to miss voluntary OTA's. Adalius isn't claiming one, he says he didn't know they had started. Of course that is BS since they send every player home with an off season plan and program to follow unless, of course, that player never showed up for his exit interview (like Bledsoe in 2002 who also failed to respond to numerous attempts by the team to contact him thereafter) because he assumes he is gone...

Ty admits he could have done his school work towards his degree here. He simply chose not to. And as a result he will not participate in any of the off season workouts aside from the mandatory ones. Perhaps when he made that decision he was assuming Vince wouldn't be here due to his contract situation... Guys like Pryor and Brace would probably benefit from his presence, but whatever... As for Tom, according to Felger's sources he has a custodial obligation that requires him to remain in California for a certain length of time in the off season. I'm sure he will be along once that has been fulfilled.

While Tom was not medically cleared to participate in some of the organized OTA's last season because of his rehab, he was here and did put in his hours in the weight room (and likely the film room as well). I recall Jonathan Kraft making it known that on the eve of the conditioning program opening last season he happened on the QB in the midst of a workout as he was leaving the facility for the evening...

The program does not run 24/7, but rather 4 days a week for about 13 weeks including the mandatory OTA's. Some players commute for much of the offseason. Their bonus money often reflects that, as well as the significance the team places on their attendance. Ty has attended the program for 8 seasons, commuting to and from Houston midweek like a dad who works out of town might. Ty's workout bonus of $250K would appear to be the most significant on the team.

I have yet to hear why Randy is MIA although I don't doubt he has a reason and emoney will likely expound on it if he reads this and his randydar goes off. I'm sure he is working out since he always has, although being in shape is only part of the reason teams strive for higher attendance in their off season programs. Another is because that is where teams begin the process of building chemistry and rapore and committment to each other within units and across the roster.

Saw this article posted on the planet yesterday. Thought I'd post it since everyone here is so caught up lambasting or defending roster moves or lack thereof they likely missed it. Just a little glimpse of how the rock star and his uber-model's lifestyle.

Gisele Bundchen Talks to Vogue's Joan Juliet Buck on Having a Baby, Tom Brady, and Sejaa

What a shock to find that the tune being sung has changed now that Brady is known to be out in California.....

What a shock to find that the tune being sung has changed now that Brady is known to be out in California.....

Mine hasn't changed. I said earlier that he should be here, they all should, unless they had some legitimate reason medical reason or pre existing committment that wouldn't allow them to. I'm sure if he could relocate his son he'd be here. But he can't because he's working within the parameters of a custody agreement with the child's mother. AD isn't here because he can't be bothered and he knows (and hopes) he won't be playing here come September. Ty CHOSE to undertake the completion of his degree this off season rather than after his football career is over, and he CHOSE to do so in Texas although he admits he could have done it here. He didn't want to.

If Brady were in California because he simply decided he'd rather be there all off season or because he claimed he forgot when the program started after a season of making excuses and blaming his own short comings on every one and every thing else, I would have the same issue with him as I do with either Ty or AD.

You on the other hand tend to only have issues with Belichick and never with players, and largely since he traded Seymour, no matter what he does or doesn't do... They had sufficient talent to win this season had it perform as it should have. It didn't. Much of that is on the players. And they know that, or at least the one's worth paying do. The scheme was fine, their execution and focus was lacking. Some of that had to do with injuries to key personnel, but we've always faced that as every team does, and we usually overcome it. This season we didn't because of youth and inexperience and lack of core leadership to maintain focus. Seymour wasn't part of that leadership, hard as it is for you to accept that. He was more inclined to make excuses. Three guys who are gone by choice or design because they couldn't play defense at a high level anymore were the core leaders of this defense. Bill felt he had sufficient leadership developing who had come up under those guys and would step up. He was mis...mis...wrong. One of the guys who didn't step up is getting his agricultural degee this Spring though so maybe that will help...

Mine hasn't changed. I said earlier that he should be here, they all should, unless they had some legitimate reason medical reason or pre existing committment that wouldn't allow them to. I'm sure if he could relocate his son he'd be here. But he can't because he's working within the parameters of a custody agreement with the child's mother. AD isn't here because he can't be bothered and he knows (and hopes) he won't be playing here come September. Ty CHOSE to undertake the completion of his degree this off season rather than after his football career is over, and he CHOSE to do so in Texas although he admits he could have done it here. He didn't want to.

Your position has clearly changed since the revelation that Brady isn't at the workouts came out. Frankly, I find it extremely amusing watching you trying to pretend otherwise. Brady could have fought for a different custodial arrangement, after all. You know, until his career as an NFL player is over.

You on the other hand tend to only have issues with Belichick and never with players, and largely since he traded Seymour, no matter what he does or doesn't do... They had sufficient talent to win this season had it perform as it should have. It didn't. Much of that is on the players. And they know that, or at least the one's worth paying do. The scheme was fine, their execution and focus was lacking. Some of that had to do with injuries to key personnel, but we've always faced that as every team does, and we usually overcome it. This season we didn't because of youth and inexperience and lack of core leadership to maintain focus. Seymour wasn't part of that leadership, hard as it is for you to accept that. He was more inclined to make excuses. Three guys who are gone by choice or design because they couldn't play defense at a high level anymore were the core leaders of this defense. Bill felt he had sufficient leadership developing who had come up under those guys and would step up. He was mis...mis...wrong. One of the guys who didn't step up is getting his agricultural degee this Spring though so maybe that will help...

As usual during the past year plus, you're getting it all wrong. Feel free to go back and see my posts about Moss after the Carolina game, just for one example. Your comment about talent is absurd, particularly since it was Belichick himself that decided that Seymour's talent was not needed in a year where the team was fielding perhaps its weakest linebacking corps since Belichick's arrival.

As a final note, I see that you're continuing to pretend that you can read these people's minds.

Last edited:
Belichick would and has told you differently. This is when teambuilding begins and team identities are forged and players commit to each other and the organization and youngsters and new additions learn what the patriot way is all about. Unless of course there isn't really a core committed to showing them what that entails in which case you end up with the 2009 season redux and the coaches and coordinators get lambasted for not doing enough with the talent assembled or not assembling enough talent...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/328306-reiss-warren-skipping-offseason-program-finish-degree.html#post1761335

Then maybe he should retire from football and complete his education and find a job where he can stay at home more with his kids... And that is his right if that's what matters to him now. He's certainly already earned enough playing the game that he could easily reorder his priorities. And for the record, these guys are all paid enough to afford homes in NE and many of them do live here year round while their career's warrant it. Or they accept the simple fact that in order to earn millions playing the game they and their families may have to make some sacrifices just like regular folks have to... I recall Pioli saying that his wife Dallas attended 4 different highschools while Tuna was advancing his football career. He and Dallas chose stability for a long time as a result, but eventually they did what was best for him career wise and moved to a place where he could make more money and run his own show. Nobody holds a gun to their heads and says you must be a football player....it's a career choice they all make and committment to and focus on it is part of the trade off for having a shot at making millions...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-program-finish-degree-page2.html#post1761343

How is that on a team desperate for leadership?? He is setting the example that it doesn't really matter, just do what you think is best for yourself...and show up when you have to. I don't think you know what a core leader represents. Not that that surprises me.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/328306-reiss-warren-skipping-offseason-program-finish-degree-page2.html#post1761349

You're so far down into the pockets of Brady and Belichick that you can't even see it.

Oh wait.. BB is in Florida. We have to bash him too.

Your position has clearly changed since the revelation that Brady isn't at the workouts came out. Frankly, I find it extremely amusing watching you trying to pretend otherwise. Brady could have fought for a different custodial arrangement, after all. You know, until his career as an NFL player is over.

No, it hasn't. I said on the 16th in the AD thread that they all should be here unless they had a medical reason or some scheduling conflict they couldn't get out of that precluded their being here.

As usual during the past year plus, you're getting it all wrong. Feel free to go back and see my posts about Moss after the Carolina game, just for one example. Your comment about talent is absurd, particularly since it was Belichick himself that decided that Seymour's talent was not needed in a year where the team was fielding perhaps its weakest linebacking corps since Belichick's arrival.

As a final note, I see that you're continuing to pretend that you can read these people's minds.

Just like you can read mine, and those of all the other dolts...I mean homers here who don't share your world vision oh enlightened one... wrath of god my ass... ungodly ego is more like it.

When Kevin Faulk's mom was ill a while back Bill excused him from pre season and told him to do what he had to do for his mom and take whatever time he needed. He was gone for a while. When a player has a family crisis to deal with they always tell them to take care of that first. Where Richard screwed up was he failed to report back when he had agreed to after they excused him to attend his grandfather's funeral, and didn't clear it with them. And for that, for not being accountable, he got benched for a quarter and developed a chip on his shoulder he never shook off. Belichick and lots of coaches have missed births and deaths due to the travel demands of their jobs and the number of people counting on them, often while making a fraction of what these players make. I never hear anyone crying for them.

AD did what he did for one reason, and you know that whether you want to admit it or not. Ty is doing what he's doing by choice when he could by his own admission do it here if he felt like it. Tom is apparently in California because he's required to be unless he wants to lose visitation rights with his oldest son. Vince wasn't here this time last season because he was mad about his contract. He was here however thereafter so i have no lingering issue with what he did. Only a handful of players complete 100% attendance at off season activities for a variety of reasons. If they make the majority of them and Bill is fine with that then so am I. I just know that they have an issue in general with players persuing their degree at the expense of time spent on football activities BECAUSE PIOLI HAS SAID SO IN THE PAST. And they are looking for leaders to step up, particularly on defense.

I don't read their minds so much as listen when they actually say something. You should try listening some time. You might learn something you don't already know, although that would probably come as a shock to all mankind.

You're so far down in your own...that's your problem...

Warren is not here BY CHOICE. AD is not here BY DESIGN. Tom is not here because he has a family matter to attend to that can't be attended to here.

You're so far down in your own...that's your problem...

Warren is not here BY CHOICE. AD is not here BY DESIGN. Tom is not here because he has a family matter to attend to that can't be attended to here.

Warren's stated reason that he's not 'here' is the same alleged reason that Brady is not 'here'. Family. You can try to pretend it's different, but it's not.

Or are you seriously trying to assert that the only justification for a man to stay with his family is a court order?

Last edited:
Warren's stated reason that he's not 'here' is the same alleged reason that Brady is not 'here'. Family. You can try to pretend it's different, but it's not.

Or are you seriously trying to assert that the only justification for a man to stay with his family is a court order?

His reason for finishing his degree is family. His reason for finishing it in Texas is just a matter of choice. He said so himself, so quit trying to read his mind.

Just like you can read mine, and those of all the other dolts...I mean homers here who don't share your world vision oh enlightened one... wrath of god my ass... ungodly ego is more like it.

Ahh... the irony of a homer with MoLewisrocks as a screen name bagging on me for my screen name. You really have become the gift that keeps giving.

When Kevin Faulk's mom was ill a while back Bill excused him from pre season and told him to do what he had to do for his mom and take whatever time he needed. He was gone for a while. When a player has a family crisis to deal with they always tell them to take care of that first. Where Richard screwed up was he failed to report back when he had agreed to after they excused him to attend his grandfather's funeral, and didn't clear it with them. And for that, for not being accountable, he got benched for a quarter and developed a chip on his shoulder he never shook off. Belichick and lots of coaches have missed births and deaths due to the travel demands of their jobs and the number of people counting on them, often while making a fraction of what these players make. I never hear anyone crying for them.

Richard didn't "screw up", Belichick did. A player's father died and BB was silly/petty enough not to cut some slack over something of that magnitude. He then benches the player, but only for part of a game. That's just stupid.

As for what coaches, or anyone else, in the same position might do, who gives a damn? We all react to extreme grief and extreme joy in our own personal way, regardless of our career choice. It's only the fool who begrudges that.

AD did what he did for one reason, and you know that whether you want to admit it or not. Ty is doing what he's doing by choice when he could by his own admission do it here if he felt like it. Tom is apparently in California because he's required to be unless he wants to lose visitation rights with his oldest son. Vince wasn't here this time last season because he was mad about his contract. He was here however thereafter so i have no lingering issue with what he did. Only a handful of players complete 100% attendance at off season activities for a variety of reasons. If they make the majority of them and Bill is fine with that then so am I. I just know that they have an issue in general with players persuing their degree at the expense of time spent on football activities BECAUSE PIOLI HAS SAID SO IN THE PAST. And they are looking for leaders to step up, particularly on defense.

Leaders? Brady is leading from the west coast. As for AD, I assume you spoke to him, off the record, and he gave you his every reason and/or motivation for his actions.

I don't read their minds so much as listen when they actually say something. You should try listening some time. You might learn something you don't already know, although that would probably come as a shock to all mankind.

I know that you don't read their minds. That's why your posts telling us all what you KNOW that they all think are so amusing. When you toss on the irony of you giving me the "you don't already know" nonsense, it becomes a full blown carnival of laughter. I'm not the one pretending to know the every thought of all members of the Patriots organization past and present. That would be......... you. You're the one pointing to a vast well of (false) knowledge that others don't claim, not I.

You've become a caricature of a homer, and you've become worse than almost any of the Chicken Littles. Your posts attacking Warren were stupid, childish and petty, yet the moment we have Brady doing the same thing, you bend over backwards trying to differentiate the two, all the while dropping to your knees in supplication to your god BB.

Where's BB been during this, by the way, and where are his comments about all the differences?

His reason for finishing his degree is family. His reason for finishing it in Texas is just a matter of choice. He said so himself, so quit trying to read his mind.

"I try to put the kids in the best educational system possible and I think there is something to be said for their father, who has been blessed to play in the NFL and do something he's loved to do, going back and finishing what he started," Warren said from the campus of Texas A&M. "In the big picture, I think it's important for me to do what I'm doing. I can sacrifice that bonus for that."

New England Patriots' Ty Warren skips bonus to work on degree - ESPN Boston

Nowhere did I comment on location. Nowhere did I even insinuate about it, never mind make any claim as to what Warren was thinking. In fact, my post you're responding to begins with "Warren's stated reason...", yet you're making that idiotic comment about reading his mind. Furthermore, you are now trying to split hairs over where someone chooses to attend school, even when that person is "going back and finishing what he started" at the very same school where he, you know..... started. The going back and finishing stuff is his quote, by the way, not me trying to read his mind.

You are now officially Christmas in March.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back