These aren't October's Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.reformer.com/Stories/0,1413,102~8865~3196999,00.html

New England trailed the Broncos 28-3 midway through the third quarter of that game after allowing completions of 72 and 55 yards and a run of 68 yards. They led to three touchdowns.

But in their 11 games since then, they've allowed just four plays longer than 50 yards.

Last Saturday night, the Patriots (11-6) came up with big plays of their own and beat Jacksonville 28-3. They scored on a 63-yard pass play from Brady to Benjamin Watson and a 73-yard interception return by Asante Samuel.

Wide receiver Troy Brown, sidelined for the Denver game, also scored a touchdown against the Jaguars.

"There are things we need to improve on and get better by next week," Brown said, "because it doesn't get any easier from here."
-----
"It is playoff time and we had to take it to another level," Samuel said

That's what makes the Patriots scary to the other three teams left in the AFC playoffs.

That approach helped them win three of the last four Super Bowls. A win in Denver would leave them two victories shy of becoming the first team to win three consecutive Super Bowls.
-----
"We are jelling at the right time," safety Eugene Wilson said.

I'm so glad that this turnaround was as possible as Andy predicted. I was firmly entrenched in my doubts, and rightly so I still believe. It's a rare thing for a team to pull their backsides out of the collective fire after the 10 week mark, but this team did it. We'll see if they can maintain it this week and beyond.

Brownfan80 said:
I'm so glad that this turnaround was as possible as Andy predicted. I was firmly entrenched in my doubts, and rightly so I still believe. It's a rare thing for a team to pull their backsides out of the collective fire after the 10 week mark, but this team did it. We'll see if they can maintain it this week and beyond.
There you go again, "Always with the negative waves Moriarity" [Oddball, Kelly's Hero's]. :rolleyes: :D

Brownfan80 said:
I'm so glad that this turnaround was as possible as Andy predicted.

Ahem. ;)

Anyone remember my pats1 the optimist says thread...?

:)

pats1 said:
Ahem. ;)

Anyone remember my pats1 the optimist says thread...?

:)
:confused: Who are you? :p

I remember arguing with several different Pats... named posters, but I couldn't be sure if it was PatsNutMe or Pats1 or any of the other numerous Pat.... guys. Sorry for the oversight. I should post more often so that the screen names stand out.

And to BOR - yeah yeah yeah, haha, I'm really not setting up an "I told you so." Really, I'm not. I just still have a little sceptic in me after the hardships of the season. A convincing win over the Broncos would go a long way towards giving me massive confidence for the AFCC. Hell I'll take whatever kind of win, convincing or close. To make four of five AFCC's would be an accomplishment in and of itself, win or lose.

Brownfan80 said:
I remember arguing with several different Pats... named posters, but I couldn't be sure if it was PatsNutMe or Pats1 or any of the other numerous Pat.... guys. Sorry for the oversight. I should post more often so that the screen names stand out.

And to BOR - yeah yeah yeah, haha, I'm really not setting up an "I told you so." Really, I'm not. I just still have a little sceptic in me after the hardships of the season. A convincing win over the Broncos would go a long way towards giving me massive confidence for the AFCC. Hell I'll take whatever kind of win, convincing or close. To make four of five AFCC's would be an accomplishment in and of itself, win or lose.
That's the ticket, unbridled optimism! :singing:

New England trailed the Broncos 28-3 midway through the third quarter of that game after allowing completions of 72 and 55 yards and a run of 68 yards. They led to three touchdowns.

But in their 11 games since then, they've allowed just four plays longer than 50 yards.

You know, that's not that great... in 2003, IIRC, we had no runs allowed of 40 or more yards against us all season, and no pass plays longer than 40 yards allowed either... until Carolina torched us twice in the Super Bowl.

4 50+ plays in 11 games... shows that the Pats defense has definitely dropped a notch or three.

oldrover said:
You know, that's not that great... in 2003, IIRC, we had no runs allowed of 40 or more yards against us all season, and no pass plays longer than 40 yards allowed either... until Carolina torched us twice in the Super Bowl.

4 50+ plays in 11 games... shows that the Pats defense has definitely dropped a notch or three.

Without question we've come down a notch. But amazingly after all the injuries and retirements and OC/DCs leaving, we're now -much- higher up on the notch ladder than we were at mid-season. Most teams wouldn't come out of that tailspin. Not only did we come out of it, we are playing nearly as well as in back-to-back SB seasons again. It's incredible to me. And I'm a friggin' nay-sayer.

Last edited:
I also believe after half-time we put many of our second stringers in...except for the guys like Lynch, Champ, Wilson, Plummer and Anderson.

LiquidBlue said:
I also believe after half-time we put many of our second stringers in...except for the guys like Lynch, Champ, Wilson, Plummer and Anderson.

Hahaha, I can't wait to see how you'll feel when halftime actually arrives.

LiquidBlue said:

Is this complete exhibition of primative football knowledge typical for all Broncos fans, or should I except to find better fans to discuss the matchup with?

During the last game thats what we did. Idiots.

LiquidBlue said:
During the last game thats what we did. Idiots.

Junior, before you go calling anyone an IDIOT, you should make sure you don't contradict yourself. You went from not being sure that you put subs in (which you didn't other than for Champ) to being positively sure that is what happened.

DaBruinz said:
Junior, before you go calling anyone an IDIOT, you should make sure you don't contradict yourself. You went from not being sure that you put subs in (which you didn't other than for Champ) to being positively sure that is what happened.

The point is that they thought thats what I thought was going to happen Saturday.

LiquidBlue said:
The point is that they thought thats what I thought was going to happen Saturday.

You still contradicted yourself junior. No matter how you look at it.

I don't think the last half of the first game matters for much. We were blown out 28-3 and Denver let up. They could have scored 50. The good news is that first half doesn't matter much either. If Denver fans want to dwell on the first game, that's fine. If their team does, they can dwell on it as they watch us in the Championship game.

BTW, I don't think our stats against weak teams in the second half matters much either.

------------------------------------------------------------

This is the new season. We are healthy. Our newbies are contributing and know the system (Beisel, Hobbs, Hawkins and Brown). Our new team just took apart JAX. Seymour, Dillon and Fauk (and hopefully Bruschi) are back. That makes a HUGE difference in containing Denver's rushing game. This should come down to a battle of quarterbacks and yes, game plans. I am amused that the Denver fans think that Shanny game plans better than bb. bb is the best in the history of the game.

Will Brady and Belichick do better than Plummer and Shanny? I think the answer is yes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back