Welcome to PatsFans.com

These are your tax dollars at work

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

This crap happens everyday. I manage subsidized units, 25 of them, and fraud, or manipulation of benefits, is the norm. Here's a woman who's living on my dime, and she's driving an ML350 Benz. Ha! Where do I sign up?

:mad:

[​IMG]

Published: February 15, 2007 12:00 am

After pleading guilty to welfare fraud, woman now faces larceny charges

By Jim Patten , Staff Writer
    Eagle-Tribune

METHUEN - She was convicted of stealing $117,555 in welfare benefits from the state last year but was allowed to keep her 2005 Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle.

Police said it was the same luxury vehicle Jennifer Stevanovich and two friends used recently to heist some $8,000 worth of merchandise from the Mall of New Hampshire in Manchester, N.H., and the Mall at Rockingham Park in Salem, N.H.

They were caught by employees of Big Lots in Methuen later that day trying to lift another $230 from the store before fleeing, leaving the Mercedes and stolen stuff behind, police said.

Court officials yesterday ordered Stevanovich, 32, formerly of Andover and now of Lawrence, to remain jailed while officials determine whether she violated her probation for a 2005 conviction on two counts of larceny.

In 2005, the mother of three was caught at her subsidized apartment in Andover with $75,000 to $100,000 worth of lingerie stolen from area Victoria's Secret stores which she was pawning on an online auction site. In her driveway was a 2005 Mercedes-Benz ML350 - the same car Methuen police said she used on her alleged December stealing spree.

Massachusetts authorities went after Stevanovich for welfare fraud, saying she pocketed some $117,000 in benefits. She pleaded guilty and in November 2006, a Salem Superior Court judge ordered her to make restitution - $100 a month and she would be allowed to keep her Mercedes-Benz until the lease was up.

As a result of the Big Lots incident in December, Stevanovich was summonsed into court yesterday on charges of larceny over $250 and larceny under $250, Lawrence District Court Clerk Magistrate Keith McDonough said.

Stevanovich told police she had allowed three of her friends to use her car to run errands after they dropped her off at her job in Burlington about 9 a.m. on Dec. 22.

She told police they picked her up in Burlington about 2 p.m. and after dropping someone off in Lawrence, went to the Big Lots store, where she said she was looking for a 50-inch television that was on sale.

She told police she did not know the other two women were going to steal from the Big Lots store or that they would use her Mercedes-Benz SUV to drive to New Hampshire and steal clothing from stores at the two malls.

Methuen Officer Stephen Hatem investigated the case with assistance from Lawrence Detective Brian Burokas.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_046120307

Well, what a surprise, this piece of trash has three kids. She was originally arrested in May, before being caught this time. I guess before she leased her Benz, she had bought a Range Rover. Talk about trash. Yup, we need more low income, subsifized housing in this state.

Lingerie thief pleads guilty

Ran lucrative shoplifting ring

By Julie Manganis
    THE SALEM NEWS (SALEM, Mass.)

SALEM, Mass. — To the Department of Transitional Assistance’s Lawrence office, Jennifer Stevanovich was a struggling single mom trying to raise three children on just a few thousand dollars a year.

Her lawyer, Allison Bloomquist, said Stevanovich is worried that wearing the ankle bracelet will cost her some clients at Supercuts in Burlington where she works as a hairdresser. She fears that some customers with pacemakers might stop visiting out of concern that the bracelet’s signals will interfere with the medical device — a suggestion the judge rejected.

http://reporter.net/cnhi/reporter/features/cnhinstalkers_story_144042659.html?keyword=secondarystory
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

Well, I hope this kind of fraud isn't the norm. From what I've known about people on welfare, they are too unambitious to commit fraud or are mostly honest and hope to get off welfare.
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

You've heard terribley wrong my friend. It is the complete opposite. Sorry to ruin your day. People on welfare don't get off, they pass it on down like inheritance. Ever heard of generational welfare? Most of my tenants have 50" HDTV's. It's quite sad really.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Speaking as someone who's family had to collect welfare for a short time (after my father passed away 5 years after we came to America with nothing), and who knew many other Russian immigrants bad situations, I know that's utter bullcrap. I'm sure there are lots of people like that on welfare, but your implication that most of them, or all of them, are like that is a complete fabrication. There are bad people who milk the system, and there are hardworking people who fall on hard times.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I know there are honest, hardworking people out there who sometimes need help, but giving people lots of free money they did not earn over long periods of time is immoral, in my opinion. It is a necessary evil, but it's stories like this that drive me up the wall.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree completely. There are families who are on their fifth generation of welfare and have no hope of getting out. It's destroying families and wasting human lives. It also adds to the cycle of single-parent teenage women "households" where jobless boys (who pretend they're men) drift in and out. The children use this as a model and become it themselves. No good can come from this type of welfare. Welfare was meant to be a temporary safety net, not a way of life.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Unfortunately, many of them have it because of preditory lenders and places that allow you to rent to own(Aaron's), you never really own it, just keep paying on it until you die. Did you ever see an Aaron's in a middle class neighborhood?? Every Aaron I have seen is on the fringes of poor communities or neighborhoods.. So who makes out, not the poor folks, but the lenders with their high rates. The same is true for many of the vets coming back from Iraq, if there was a true concern for these folks then there would be something done about the lending practices.

As far as the handing down of welfare from generation to generation, there is an effort to stop this as there are now 5 year limits on receiving cash benefits, this was initiated during the Clinton years.
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 4 / -6

Well, I've only known a few people on welfare, and this was at least 10 years ago: (1) a mom whose husband left her, and she went on welfare for a few months while she figured out how to take care of her child and work. (2) a Vietnam vet who hosted the creepiest party I've ever been to, in the Southie projects. I think he was too messed up to land a job. (3) an alcoholic and drug-addicted actress who was on welfare for a few years, before finally landing a job, putting on 100 pounds, and going on disability! (4) A neighbor who had to quit his job (teaching music at a private school) in order to become eligible for Medicare, after he was severely injured in a hit and run accident. I don't deny there's some generational welfare, but the system is probably too cheap to support them and help them off welfare at the same time, and if they have kids, there's no good choice without raising social welfare spending.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

First off, it's not "bullcrap". I don't lie, as I have no need to. I do agree that there are people who do fall on hard times, do need it, and do aim to move off it. However, those are few and far between. I've had one tenant in the last 8 years move to independance. That's 1 out of 25 units. I've got tenants who've been on welfare for well over a decade, with zero intention of ever getting off. I've got mother and daughter living side by side. I was baited and switched just last year by a generational welfare family, and sadly, through personal experience, think that the system is at least 50% waste. Remember, I have no problems with a system to help those in need. I have no problem in having a portion of my income going to a program such as welfare. Where I have a problem, is with the gross mismanagement, size, and waste that welfare has become. I could tell you individual stories of how awful the system is, or how disgustingly the state gives away your hard earned tax dollars. Does that mean that all or most of my tenants are undeserving, or don't need assistance? Not at all. It simply means that there is massive abuse, and gross negligence involved.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Wistah, I see it all the time. I was baited and switched by a generational welfare scheme just last year. Mom on welfare, 18 year old daughter gets pregnant. Daughter living with father, moves in with mom, they now require a 2 bedroom, not a 1, and so they find one, move in together, and then guess what? Daughter was pregnant at move in, no one knows, so she gives birth, now the 2 bedroom is too small, so the mom files a request for her own 1 bedroom, and the 18 year old single mom keeps the two. You and I pay. Everyday the "daddy" seems to be there. Does he live there? They say no, I think yes, but how do I prove it? They won't say he lives there cuz then they have to add him to the lease, and I have to configure his income against the rent. Now, ask yourself, what do you think will happen with her kids when they hit 18?
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Really, there is? How about subsidized housing? No limits there. That's where the costs are. When you have tenants paying $7 a month for a 2 bedroom for life, what does that add up to? After that, compute the beurocracy that's needed to run such a fleecing. Big $$.
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I have to defer to you on this since you obviously deal with it more than I do. A hard limit (you can collect for so long, and after that you're cut off) would certainly help.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

You are truly dillusional. We don't spend enough? :rofl:

Seriously dude, you need a healthy dose of reality. I'd get into it more, but most of you would call me a bigot. Lets just say the amount of foreign born in the welfare system is alarming. My personal favorite is a foreign born 30 soemthing, (this guy is white actually) who petitioned to get his elderly parents to america. Fine right? Well, when they got here, they went on welfare. Niether worked a single day in thsi country, yet they got a free apartment $1083 per month, a utilities credit, and a check from SSI for $500 a month. Top that off with medicare, or mass health if you will, too boot. Why? Why are we paying for these people? My barber, poor sap, had an emergency quad bypass last year, and almost died. $115,000 later, (he's 62 I think), he went to see if he could get some help financially. Want to know what they told him? You've got a house, sell it. So these elderly red inkers from Albania get a free meal ticket though. It's lunacy.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Absolutely. See, I think the elderly, disabled, or combat vets should seriously recieve aide. I think the able bodied should get aid in dire situations, but at a limit. I'd put caps on it, and make job training mandatory at the same time. Learn a trade, or get and education, but then when you're contract limit is up, you're on your own. Sadly, that doesn't happen.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It is not a "complete fabrication" when he has seen evidence to support his claim, and more than once. It's anecdotal proof, at the least.

//
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Who do you think subsidized housing really benefits the tenant, it insures that the landlord gets paid. I am sure if there is a search there are a few milllioinaires who get huge bucks from that program, with little effort except for bookeeping. Did you ever think about how the food stamp program is run by the Dept. of Agriculture, bottom line it is not to feed the poor, but to keep the cash flowing to support this industry. Very few entitlement programs directly benefit the intended beneficiary, instead they benefit that others get paid.

The issue is who gets paid what is more of a concern, as this is where the fleecing comes in. To say someone is disabled and entitled to funds, because they cannot read is wrong. There is a need to enable people to make things better for themselves, not create a dependency. When I worked for the Welfare Dept. and then Corrections, it would drive me absolutely crazy as to how people became entitled, and then would do nothing. The worse program are the disability programs, as there is no incentive to do something better for yourselves.

Compounding this is the way we legitimize state welfare for public employees, know folks who are considered permanent disabled from some hard to prove back injury, collect long term disability payments and work another job. No one cares, this is where the greatest fraud comes in as the state is self insured.. not reimbursed from the feds as is the case in most welfare programs.

As much as it drives us all crazy, the welfare stuff is getting better, while the state run welfare programs i.e. the permanent disability, me is the greatest sham that we are party to. When I worked corrections this was a huge part of our budget, that no one cared to be controlled. No one cares about it, just accept this fraud as a collateral issue.
  17. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When my family moved to the States in, we were about a month on welfare. My mother's first priority was to get off welfare, because to her it was an insult. The problem nowadays I think is that most people on welfare think it's perfectly acceptable. Most of them are like ****roaches.:mad:
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +547 / 2 / -9

America is now in the process of going Insane, the Muslims love it.
  19. PatFanInChina

PatFanInChina Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually NEM, this year of the “Pig” is supposedly be very lucky and it’s a very good year to have kids. The pig means prosperity, “go figure” and good health. Man I wish that everybody could of experienced last night. About 11:30pm every city block in my city “Shijiazhuang” lit up fireworks. And I don’t mean the little sissy fireworks we have in the States. These fringing things were pretty much flying bombs. That’s the best way I can describe it and it went non-stop till about 6 to 7 o’clock in the morning. I was way too wasted by then on Bijou. Anyway it was AWESOME:D . And when I woke up, I still had ten fingers left, which is a plus.
  20. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yes. I sure did... Upper middle class neighborhood for a matter of fact.