PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's Still A Month Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When free agency started less than three weeks ago, many here were panicking. We now have all but solved our wide receiver "problem". We also have the beginnings of a solution to 2008 defensive back issues. Finally, we have re-signed some of our own, who might have caused holes had they not been re-signed.

And the off-season has hardly begun. We still will have more free agent signings to come. We might have a trade or two. And we will have the draft.

As of now, all has been addressed with the exception of linebacker. To put our situation another way, the existing team is a playoff team right now except for one giant hole at ILB. We will draft defensive backs and maybe an OL, but these are luxuries or future needs.
We still have a 2008 ILB need. I believe that this will be addressed before the draft, so that we have much more draft flexibility than we do now. bb tries not to go into the draft with a current need.

Sat. Apr 26th 3p. Only 2 rounds on Sat. Pushed time back. Cut minutes between picks down to 10. First hour should be very interesting for us.

I thought it was Friday night into Saturday so they could do it in prime time? Maybe that was just talked about.

Talked about but not done... just 2 rounds first day. Changes the whole terminology of "first day pick".

As of now, all has been addressed with the exception of linebacker. To put our situation another way, the existing team is a playoff team right now except for one giant hole at ILB. We still have a 2008 ILB need. I believe that this will be addressed before the draft, so that we have much more draft flexibility than we do now. bb tries not to go into the draft with a current need.

So what are they waiting for?

I was extremely pissed that our Opening-Day backup LBs were, after Seau:
Izzo, Alexander, Woods, Mays and Herron.

I really, really hope that our backup LBs on Opening Day 2008 will not be:
Izzo, Alexander, Woods and Slaughter. And that's ass-u-ming that Seau re-signs.

Talked about but not done... just 2 rounds first day. Changes the whole terminology of "first day pick".

Until I become used to the new format, I will still refer to anyone drafted in the top-100, or ranked in the top-100, as "first-day".

I thought it was Friday night into Saturday so they could do it in prime time? Maybe that was just talked about.

They talked about that. But, didn't do it. I like the idea of limiting to the picks in the 1st round to 10 minutes. Not sure why they didn't just do that and keep 3 rounds on Sat.

Especially since we have 2 3rd rounders. Board should be fun after Rd 2. Debating whom to take.

Last edited:
It is only the fans that feel the need to meet all the off-season needs in the first three weeks of a six month off-season. I believe that there have been over a dozen re-signings and new signings in the past three weeks, primarily concerning WR's, DB's and ST's. The choice yours, but I suggest relaxing a bit.

So what are they waiting for?

I was extremely pissed that our Opening-Day backup LBs were, after Seau:
Izzo, Alexander, Woods, Mays and Herron.

I really, really hope that our backup LBs on Opening Day 2008 will not be:
Izzo, Alexander, Woods and Slaughter. And that's ass-u-ming that Seau re-signs.

Until I become used to the new format, I will still refer to anyone drafted in the top-100, or ranked in the top-100, as "first-day".
I think you're not alone on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye