PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's reasons to be concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team is third in the conference in scoring. would have been second if the Jets hadn't completely rolled over yesterday. I don't see a single 'great' team in the AFC. Everyone has their problems.

NEM said:
He didnt say they moved at "will", but in fact, they both DID move the ball well.....the scoreboard doesnt tell the entire story. Miami moved the ball very well, but three key mistakes aided our cause and probably cost Miami the game as our offense never adjusted to what Miami was doing on defense. ANd, if you recall, a pass interference call in the end zone ALSO aided our cause, making it FOUR Miami errors, not three.

Yes, my point was that those 2 teams, Denver & Miami, moved the ball much better than we did against them. So you can't say that every team has difficulty against a good D, which was what someone had said.

I expected a lot more yesterday in terms of offensive production and just looking comfortable out there. Even just a few good drives that ended in FG's or no points. But the lack of drives, together with no big plays, was very disappointing and a little alarming.

Maybe we'll look back in a couple of months and say that Denver & Miami were the two best D's in the league, and that we were a work in progress. But right now it appears like it's going to take a long time to get this offense right.

The Bills in 2 weeks will be a good test. If we have another game like these two against Denver and Miami, then we've got real problems I think.

Jimke said:
Is it time yet to concede that we still need some help at

wide receiver?

Wrong. We have three potential areas of concern.

#1 kicking game: I don't see this as a long term problem, I think the protection needs to be solid so that the rookie can learn to kick consistently. This will improve, and I feel that Ghost has the personality to be 'clutch', once he learns the field and plays for a while.

#2 secondary: Early injuries again, and a little too much 'bending' in my opinion. You can point to whatever you want, but we will need to have consistent secondary play as the season goes on. We will face better QBs than Harrington.

#3 Brady: Like it or not, he has a great run game, plenty of weapons, and a average to decent O-Line, depending on how well coached up they are that week. He doesn't need more recievers, he needs to make his reads better, and stop underthrowing 50% of his passes. And if he can't get the long ball done, then they need to call more short passes until he can complete the long ball.

I think Brady will come around, and the WRs and TEs will also get into the rythym better after this bi-week.

The last thing we need is more new guys at WR to confuse the situation. Maybe another back-up, like Kevin Johnson, but they have enough starters.

I offer no 'psycho' analysis or 'behind the scenes' opinions on why Brady is somewhat struggling, because I don't know. I also believe that he will turn it around soon enough. But you can go back and watch all his throws this year, and he has had guys open, and guys in position to make plays. But he has missed a bunch of those chances for whatever reaason. I'm not worried about him turning it around, I think the bi-week comes at a good time this year.

Last edited:
Jimke said:
Is it time yet to concede that we still need some help at

wide receiver?

I don't think so. Yesterday against a defense that has given him fits, (like Denver so he's faced his two toughest teams in the last three weeks), Brady went to the guy he has rapport with for the big 3rd down conversions.

Does that mean we need more 35 year old 8th round picks? I don't think so.

There is no substitute for time and practice, both of which we have with the bye week. Gabriel has looked great at times and Jackson has looked good in limited duty, IMO.

Reche looks like a fine number three and he's a gamer coming backafter that hit.

Getting another guy now will mean 4 guys who need more work with Brady. Why would that be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back