PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's reasons to be concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

40yrpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm usually not very negative, and the last to say the sky is falling. But at this point in the season I'm seeing the half-empty, and it stems from the lack of reliable offense against good defenses.

Everyone knows we're gonna win the AFC East, especially with the schedule we have. And 4-1 is a great place to be. But there's a lot of good teams in the AFC this year, and there will be no gimme's in the playoffs. We'll be facing a San Diego or a Baltimore or a Denver or an Indy or a Pittsburgh. Right now our offense would be shut down against any of those teams.

I'd like to think our talent level is sufficient, and that we'll improve into the team we need to be. But yesterday did nothing to encourage that feeling, for the second time in 3 weeks. Nothing out of the running game. Nothing out of Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell, or the TE's. Brady not impressive. It seems to be even more than just the absense of Branch and Givens.

Luckily it's early. But for us to get the SB this year, our offense has to get a LOT better somehow.

Last edited:
Considering our history against the Fins, a 10-point win and Brady throwing ZERO picks is actually encouraging.

Call me a mega-optimist but I feel a hell of a lot better about this team after 5 games this year than last. We were throwing all over the place in 2005 and we barely won games. Now we actually have some relief for Brady and the team is better off. We're not going to be the 2004 Pats but this team is resembling the 2003 edition and I don't mind a bit.

richpats said:
Call me a mega-optimist but I feel a hell of a lot better about this team after 5 games this year than last. We were throwing all over the place in 2005 and we barely won games. Now we actually have some relief for Brady and the team is better off. We're not going to be the 2004 Pats but this team is resembling the 2003 edition and I don't mind a bit.

Mega-optimist? No way, I'm with you. Last year we would win one, lose one, win one lose one until deep into the season. And our losses were horrible...the San Diego blowout was an early example. I feel MUCH better about the team this year than last.

40yrpatsfan said:
I'm usually not very negative, and the last to say the sky is falling. But at this point in the season I'm seeing the half-empty, and it stems from the lack of reliable offense against good defenses.

Everyone knows we're gonna win the AFC East, especially with the schedule we have. And 4-1 is a great place to be. But there's a lot of good teams in the AFC this year, and there will be no gimme's in the playoffs. We'll be facing a San Diego or a Baltimore or a Denver or an Indy or a Pittsburgh. Right now our offense would be shut down against any of those teams.

I'd like to think our talent level is sufficient, and that we'll improve into the team we need to be. But yesterday did nothing to encourage that feeling, for the second time in 3 weeks. Nothing out of the running game. Nothing out of Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell, or the TE's. Brady not impressive. It seems to be even more than just the absense of Branch and Givens.

Luckily it's early. But for us to get the SB this year, our offense has to get a LOT better somehow.

Show me a team that doesn't struggle offensively against good defenses.

And I hope you were kidding when you referred to Indy as a good defense.

This team is getting better. Much like the 2003 team, it will win a lot of games. Indy is not the biggest worry. San Diego and Denver are. They have strong defenses and can match up well against us.

The only thing I don't understand is why we don't play Cory more. He ran really well yesterday and is much better at pounding the ball against a stingy defense. If he is not hurt, I wonder if he is really being saved for the second half of the season?

richpats said:
Considering our history against the Fins, a 10-point win and Brady throwing ZERO picks is actually encouraging.

People must have forgotten how we normally play against the Dolphins, this game had a GOOD outcome, not a bad one.

Willie55 said:
Show me a team that doesn't struggle offensively against good defenses.

And I hope you were kidding when you referred to Indy as a good defense.

You're right about Indy's D, but any of the others I mentioned would give us fits.

Yes, most teams struggle against good defenses, but Denver and Miami each moved the ball pretty well against the Pats D, and I think we have a great defense.

There's something about the way our O has struggled against Denver and Miami that's very troubling. No rythm, no bread and butter they can depend on.

40yrpatsfan said:
Yes, most teams struggle against good defenses, but Denver and Miami each moved the ball pretty well against the Pats D, and I think we have a great defense.

There's something about the way our O has struggled against Denver and Miami that's very troubling. No rythm, no bread and butter they can depend on.

Our D actually is improving against the Broncos. They only put up 17 on us and 7 was on a fluke play. The D is becoming more bend-don't break, lots of yards, few points. Last year it was lotsa yards, lotsa points.

Our O never does well against Denver or Miami, they have the speed to match up against us.

NEM said:
The problem with the O in both of those games was the failure of the OC to make early adjustments. It was obvious in both of those games that we were running into brick walls, and yet the play calling didnt change until way too late.

If it isnt working, stop doing it, plain and simple.
The one thing people miss is the fact you have to have faith in your game plan. In the Cincy game Maroney didn't start busting runs till the second half. And what appears to be the same play could have 12 didn't variations of runs and routes in it. They might be trying plays to see how the defense reacts and then change it up next time expecting that reaction. So if the reaction doesn't come that is expected do you throw your entire game plan away?

I don't think McDaniels is creating a game plan on his own. I'm sure Belichick tells him he wants to attack the team this way. So if you think McDaniels is doing such an awful job with a 4-1 record you might as well say Belichick is doing a terrible job.

mosi said:
This team is getting better. Much like the 2003 team, it will win a lot of games. Indy is not the biggest worry. San Diego and Denver are. They have strong defenses and can match up well against us.

The only thing I don't understand is why we don't play Cory more. He ran really well yesterday and is much better at pounding the ball against a stingy defense. If he is not hurt, I wonder if he is really being saved for the second half of the season?

Why did Cory need to play more yesterday? Why did we need more than 11 points? Why do we need to run up the score like Indi? Didn't we win? I thinks there is this obsession with blowouts over wins.

Digger44 said:
Why did Cory need to play more yesterday? Why did we need more than 11 points? Why do we need to run up the score like Indi? Didn't we win? I thinks there is this obsession with blowouts over wins.

Yeah, I thought winning was winning but I guess some people think it's about the way you win (like there was some poll that needed influencing).

They seem to ignore history.....

Clonamery said:
Yeah, I thought winning was winning but I guess some people think it's about the way you win (like there was some poll that needed influencing).

They seem to ignore history.....

Well there are polls. To some the power rankings are more important than gameplans and the Wins.

40yrpatsfan said:

San Diego and Denver have to battle each other twice yet, and San Diego has yet to face a tough defense and win themselves. Oakland, Tennessee and a reeling Pittsburgh they handled with ease. Their lone loss was to Baltimore and there was talk of Marty losing his job all last week. But thankfully he didn't which makes them a longshot to even make the playoffs.

Baltimore remains undefeated as does Denver, but that will change after tonight. Baltimore barely mustered the offense to beat the Browns and Chargers. Denver, who faces Baltimore tonight, lost their opener to the Rams and barely got by KC in a single digit scoring game.

Denver, San Diego and Baltimore are all in tough divisions where they will have to battle just to make the playoffs. Indy is in tatters offensively and cannot run the ball on decent D or stop the run against anyone. Luckily they will probably win a weak division. Pittsburgh is floundering with the bionic man at the helm and we can only hope they even make the playoffs.

Our toughest opponent remaining on the schedule is Chicago. They are a young team who still struggle on the road, have not faced tough opponents yet and may be peaking waaaaay early.

We are a team who always finish strong due to exceptional coaching. This year we are featuring an offense in transition that got a late start on that transition and is still waiting for a rookie WR to earn consistent playing time and three new receivers to get comfortable in a sight adjusted offense. We have not nearly hit our stride and we are 4-1 at the bye with two of the toughest opponents on our schedule in the rear ciew mirror.

We need some perspective as a fan base. Seriously. This is a team that has never won pretty, but the Lombardi isn't awarded for style points or Indy and those other teams you are so concerned about in week 5 would have multiple Lombardi's in their trophy cases. But they don't. We are 10-1 when we even get to the playoffs in the last 6 seasons and you'd never have guessed it in week 5 of any of those seasons either. We've become a knee jerk fan base who expects this team to go undefeated or crush the opposition on the road to Miami when that has never been the case. Spoiled, demanding and insufferable. A dynasty deserves better from it's fortunate fans.

40yrpatsfan said:
You're right about Indy's D, but any of the others I mentioned would give us fits.

Yeah. Miami an Denver moved at will; one scored 17 and the other 10...

I was very hard on our team after the Denver loss. But we bounced back nicely against Cinci. While our win against Miami wasn't a work of art we did win by 10. I think we are improving and heading in the right direction with several areas of improvement that need to be addressed. If you said before the season we would be 4-1 and Miami 1-4 going into the bye I would have been estatic.

Is it time yet to concede that we still need some help at

wide receiver?

There's quite a bit to be concerned about. No doubt about it. All of it detailed here, and I won't repeat it.

But it's week five. We're four and one, and I believe we're headed to the playsoff. That gives at least 12 weeks before we need to be ready to play those games. 12 weeks buys a lot of time for Gabriel, Jackson Caldwell etc to tune in to Brady and vice versa. 12 weeks for the secondaary to bed further in. Ellis Hobbs, for example, will have almost doubled his NFL experience. 12 weeks for the owner of Wendys and Garrett Mills to emerge as weapons. etc etc

40yrpatsfan said:

I wouldn't bother answering, but your post seems sincere and not panicky so I'll give you an honest answer.

I disagree with you completely, not that our offense looks great now, but that we won't improve because I think we will.

Let's compare to last year. We had three running backs, all injured. We were starting to lean on Patrick Pass more when he got hurt.

He'll be back soon. He probably won't make the team.

Corey Dillon is back. He is the active rushing leader in the NFL and is running tough. Maroney is new. The Pats are still figuring out how to use both these guys effectively. Good problem. Evans and Mills are good receivers. Again, they have to be worked in. Better than lacking talent, though.

We have three good to excellent TEs. Too many weapons for Brady to bein sync with? I trust Tom.;)

We lost two receivers that had 4 years to work with Brady. I'm sorry, were you looking for a can of 4 year rapport? Look at Brown yesterday. you can't bottle that, you need repitition and practice, (bye week?).

Did we pick up some over the hill no talent hacks in our desperation to replace whasisname? Look with your own eyes, not what the panickers write. Gabriel and Jackson have looked pretty good to me. The only way they'll get better is by repitition. There's no shortcut for the difference between them and Troy Brown, sorry.

I see three young strong fast tough, (Reche!) receivers.
They could have brought in a name has been to satisfy the critics. I'm glad theydon't care about the critics, myself.

Evaluate some of the teams that look great early. How many have overworked starter and no depth? How many look great because they hag on to players too long and don't replace them until injuries?

Offense is about rhythm. We have lot's of new talent and it will take a while.

Don't you think judging guys with a few practices under their belts against 4 year starters is unfair?

Digger44 said:

Well, we were only up by 3 and Cory's style of running is more suited to a team like Miami than is LM. That is why. Who the hell is talking about running up the score. Why the hell is everybody so defensive on these boards? No pun intended! :)

I don't think the thread starter said anything about the O.C. We do have about 15 of those threads.

I believe the topic is reasons to be concerned, that is lack of talent, on the team.

Could we stay on topic on one decent thread today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots