PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's no way Lonie Paxton makes this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it seems everyone else has posted on this thread...

I'll add my two cents.

I seem to recall BB saying in an interview that ST's is one third of the game, and in his opinion, one third of the game is pretty damn important. (or something very similar)

I think it has been apparent in a LOT of the offseason moves that BB is intent on IMPROVING special teams play....

I translate that to mean that BB is going to field that absolute best ST players he can ( Budget concerns allowing of course.. sorry AV) and I translate THAT to mean Lonnie has the job until they find someone who can do it BETTER, not "as good" or "90%" since this position does not seem to have "budget concern" he is not looking for someone to do it cheaper. He is however, looking for someone who can do it better or has the potential to do so, since Lonnie is gonna have to hang 'em up sooner or later... it would be counter productive to improving ST's and one third of the game to throw unproven longsnappers into the mix come gameday. They might however, keep a borderline player on the roster or PS in order to groom him to be the next Lonnie.. if the player can play/backup other positons.. OL/TE/FB whatever.

That's my two cents... give or take a few bucks.. :)

Joe_n99 said:
I'll add my two cents.

I seem to recall BB saying in an interview that ST's is one third of the game, and in his opinion, one third of the game is pretty damn important. (or something very similar)

I think it has been apparent in a LOT of the offseason moves that BB is intent on IMPROVING special teams play....

I translate that to mean that BB is going to field that absolute best ST players he can ( Budget concerns allowing of course.. sorry AV) and I translate THAT to mean Lonnie has the job until they find someone who can do it BETTER, not "as good" or "90%" since this position does not seem to have "budget concern" he is not looking for someone to do it cheaper. He is however, looking for someone who can do it better or has the potential to do so, since Lonnie is gonna have to hang 'em up sooner or later... it would be counter productive to improving ST's and one third of the game to throw unproven longsnappers into the mix come gameday. They might however, keep a borderline player on the roster or PS in order to groom him to be the next Lonnie.. if the player can play/backup other positons.. OL/TE/FB whatever.

That's my two cents... give or take a few bucks.. :)

Special Teams consist of more than just a Long Snapper. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mills known as an excellent ST'er - - someone who'll do just about everything on the field?

Yes...

shmessy said:
Special Teams consist of more than just a Long Snapper. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mills known as an excellent ST'er - - someone who'll do just about everything on the field?

I know Special teams consist of more than one player, but the point is you don't improve special teams by replacing KNOWN good players with UNKNOWNS. Especially, the LS. What point is it to have great coverage guys if the LS snaps the ball over the punters head... not intentionally. I don't care how rarely it happens, because I do remember it happening to the pats in the past and how sick it made me feel. Much like Bledsoe muffing the snap.. every once in a while to remind us it could happen. UGH!

I think Mills/Thomas/other OL/whoever will make this team as our 3rd/4th TE and a FB options and etc. and that they MIGHT be one of the borderline players that makes it because they improve special teams and back up a couple of positions... but not because the are an improvement at LS. IMO Lonnie will be the LS until someone is better or he calls it quits. I don't think he will be replaced by an inexperienced unknown at LS because that player excels elsewhere. I think that player replaces someone else... Pass.. Charles... Condo... Yates... etc...

BB has said in the past about veterans the job is theirs to LOSE. Not we are taken a shot/flyer on someone that might/may/could someday be better. Dillon and Maroney.. same thing applies.. do you think the phone call to Dillon before they drafted Maroney was to tell him they just drafted his replacement and not to worry about getting in shape... or do you think he was calling to say "Corey the job is yours to lose.... so don't screw me and lose it to a rookie!"? BB value and respects veterans and their knowledge and experience. He as proven time and time again... he will go with wiley, wise, athletic veterans over unproven hyped rookies or draft picks. I don't always agree.... but how can you argue. The evil genius knows best.

I hope you all forgive me for running on an the lack of clarity in my thoughts here... I keep getting interupted.. sorry. Will edit later if I can

This is a long .........

Mills and Gost (the rookies) v Paxon and Gramatica (the vets). Would be a good competition, if it were to happen.?

If this has been said already my bad, sorry.

Joe_n99 said:
I know Special teams consist of more than one player, but the point is you don't improve special teams by replacing KNOWN good players with UNKNOWNS.
I don't know what this means? That draftees are UNKOWNS? So we can't get better by replacing a known good player like Dwight with an unknown like Jackson?

No player is an unknown anyway. Even draftees were scrutinized before being drafted and will get plenty of training camp time by September when the 53-man roster is made.

At the same time, there are no KNOWN players, either. We know how they did last year. We don't know what they will do this year.

And remember, BB said to beileve it is better to cut a layer a year too soon, rather than a year to late.

Teams are built from the draft. Oldsters out and youngsters in. Especially on STs, where speed is even more important.

:cool:
F.B.N. said:
No way Belichick drops Paxton who is a proven commodity in favor of a newbie...it simply will not happen. Long snapper is very high on Belichicks list...right behind TE's. :D
Sometimes newbies can be a wonderful thing

spacecrime said:
I don't know what this means? That draftees are UNKOWNS? So we can't get better by replacing a known good player like Dwight with an unknown like Jackson?

No player is an unknown anyway. Even draftees were scrutinized before being drafted and will get plenty of training camp time by September when the 53-man roster is made.

At the same time, there are no KNOWN players, either. We know how they did last year. We don't know what they will do this year.

And remember, BB said to beileve it is better to cut a layer a year too soon, rather than a year to late.

Teams are built from the draft. Oldsters out and youngsters in. Especially on STs, where speed is even more important.

I was referring to longsnapper, since the thread says there is no way Lonnie Paxton makes the team... I don't think it is known to BB that there is a better longsnapper on this team yet... maybe he does know. I am not against newbies or rookies on ST, maybe I wasn't clear about that... but I think some of them are KNOWN(not like famous, but skill sets/levels) good players at certain positions and some of them are UNKOWNS(as far as skills/levels) at certain positions. Mini-camps, Training Camps, Preseason will all go a long way to sorting out what is KNOWN and UNKNOWN about players skills at different positions/levels/etc.. BUT to the point about Lonnie and Longsnapping... are you all saying they are gonna cut a KNOWN quality LS for an UNKNOWN. Show me stats or something. Gostowski was a kicker... you can say we know something about his kicking... Mills LS for a couple of games... that doesn't tell you anything. What were Thomas' stats for LS? Who else are we thinking? Condo? Who else? What do we KNOW about thier LS skill? That's what I mean by KNOWN.

I didn't mean to imply we can't replace players with young players, just that we shouldn't be talking about replacing a players known skillset with that of a players whose skillset is unkown at the particular position. Apples to apples is basically what I am saying... again in a long drawn out convoluted way..

Hey, sleep deprivation makes it very difficult to function, what can I say.
I also love the fact the a thread about our LONGSNAPPER is one of the longest... us PATS fans are freakin' wierd man, especially in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back