PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There's no way Lonie Paxton makes this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

see dan drive

Rookie
Reaction score
Reading articles about Mills made me think we'll see a lot of players long snapping in pre-season games. How many guys do we now have that can long snap? Several years of Belioli scouting and drafting has yielded too much talent to waste a roster spot on a guy who plays one position and is in the game for 8 plays a game. It was once worth keeping Paxton because the 54th best player at the end of training camp wasn't as seriously challenging for a roster spot. This year final decisions are going to be something like:

Keep one......Pass, Paxton, Bethel

Preaching to the choir my friend. There was a big thread about this right after the draft, probably fallen back, but search for "Paxton" and you'll find it.

Beware though: There are posters on this board who will warn you that The Immortal Lonnie Paxton is the only person born on this earth capable of properly longsnapping and that the Patriots will retain him for eternity.

(Just don't tell them we won a SB with him on IR...)

No way Belichick drops Paxton who is a proven commodity in favor of a newbie...it simply will not happen. Long snapper is very high on Belichicks list...right behind TE's. :D

Why make two positions worse?

Just for the sake of having a more efficient roster, you'd purge one of the best, most reliable longer snappers in the league for a rookie? Not only would you be severely downgrading the long snapper position, but also taking some of the focus of a developing rookie away from learning the Patriots' system.

I don't know why so many fans are so eager to indulge in some more rookie hype and continually throw out names of versatile, effective veterans that supposedly should be expurgated in favor of unproven potential.

"buT d00d! cHAd jaaKsOn OWNzors! hEs dA neXXT jrery riiCEE!"

I'd give an extra $200k to have one of the best at his position to maintain the quality of an overlooked unit on my team anyday.

Last edited:
tombonneau said:
Preaching to the choir my friend. There was a big thread about this right after the draft, probably fallen back, but search for "Paxton" and you'll find it.

Beware though: There are posters on this board who will warn you that The Immortal Lonnie Paxton is the only person born on this earth capable of properly longsnapping and that the Patriots will retain him for eternity.

(Just don't tell them we won a SB with him on IR...)

DAM IT!
I thought it was a moment of brilliance to come up with such insight into the mind of Belioli. I read that thread it turns out....and only subconciously absorbed it....

pats1 said:

Just for the sake of having a more efficient roster, you'd purge one of the best, most reliable longer snappers in the league for a rookie? Not only would you be severely downgrading the long snapper position, but also taking some of the focus of a developing rookie away from learning the Patriots' system.

I don't know why so many fans are so eager to indulge in some more rookie hype and continually throw out names of versatile, effective veterans that supposedly should be expurgated in favor of unproven potential.

"buT d00d! cHAd jaaKsOn OWNzors!"

I told you to choose from Pass, Paxton, and Behtel. Who's the rookie?

Mills is one of many candidates to snap....

pats1 said:

All potential is unproven. WHen it is proven it changes from potential to accomplishment.

And every time a rookie is added to the roster he takes the place of someone who was there last year, so every team every year picks potential over accomplishment in 5 to 10 cases.

Anyway, Hochstein can long snap.

The question is whether long snapper deserves a roster spot, because I've read many times that we are doomed without AV and no kicker can replace him, why bother to have a long snapper? No one can kick FGs except AV.

pats1 said:

"buT d00d! cHAd jaaKsOn OWNzors! hEs dA neXXT jrery riiCEE!"

How is Lonnie Paxton a VERSATILE veteran? He only FRIGGIN LONG SNAPS.

That is the opposite of versatile. It's unitile, or monotile or whatever.

If there is a player--anyone--not just newfangled rookie who can longsnap as well as actually add value to the team in some other capacity, how could people not be for this?

Honestly, it baffles me.

spacecrime said:
All potential is unproven. WHen it is proven it changes from potential to accomplishment.

And every time a rookie is added to the roster he takes the place of someone who was there last year, so every team every year picks potential over accomplishment in 5 to 10 cases.

Anyway, Hochstein can long snap.

The question is whether long snapper deserves a roster spot, because I've read many times that we are doomed without AV and no kicker can replace him, why bother to have a long snapper? No one can kick FGs except AV.

Randel El can play wide receiver and quarterback! Let's just dump Brady, who can only play QB! He's wasting a roster spot! Get the Redskins on the phone! Anything to clear a roster spot for these deities ..er.. hyped rookies!

Last edited:
spacecrime said:

Ha. Brilliant.

tombonneau said:
How is Lonnie Paxton a VERSATILE veteran? He only FRIGGIN LONG SNAPS.

That is the opposite of versatile. It's unitile, or monotile or whatever.

If there is a player--anyone--not just newfangled rookie who can longsnap as well as actually add value to the team in some other capacity, how could people not be for this?

Honestly, it baffles me.

I was referring to Pass (RB, FB) and Bethel (WR, KR, PR).

We must have been spoiled recently with Paxton and forgotten what a botched snap can do.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Randel El can play wide receiver and quarterback! Let's just dump Brady, who can only play QB! He's wasting a roster spot! Get the Redskins on the phone! Anything to clear a roster spot for these deities ..er... rookies!

Horrendous analogy. Brady is in for 60-90 snaps a game and does many things. Paxton is in for 4-8 snaps a game and does one thing (two, if you count the Snow Angel schtick).

The fact remains, that with AV gone, the "timing and comfort level" deal with Paxton is not as important as it was before. AV was compulsive obsessive of the timing and comfort (which was why he was so successful). A new guy won't have that obsessiveness for Paxton.

Thanks for everything Lonie! (not sarcastic, but heartfelt).

pats1 said:
I was referring to Pass (RB, FB) and Bethel (WR, KR, PR).

We must have been spoiled recently with Paxton and forgotten what a botched snap can do.

How many botched snaps were there the season we won the SB with him on IR?

Yes, the Patriots are going to cut the best long snapper in the league to give the spot to a TE who has NEVER, not ONCE, made a long snap in a game. That's right. David Thomas has never actually long-snapped during a game.

John Condo is another who can long snap, but he's a line backer.

As for Mills. I understand he was the "back-up" long snapper, but how many long snaps did he actually make?

shmessy said:
Horrendous analogy. Brady is in for 60-90 snaps a game and does many things. Paxton is in for 4-8 snaps a game and does one thing (two, if you count the Snow Angel schtick).

The fact remains, that with AV gone, the "timing and comfort level" deal with Paxton is not as important as it was before. AV was compulsive obsessive of the timing and comfort (which was why he was so successful). A new guy won't have that obsessiveness for Paxton.

Thanks for everything Lonie! (not sarcastic, but heartfelt).

Hell, all Josh Miller does is kick a few balls a few times a game. Let's get rid of him while we're at it. Worthless, I say! Nate Lawrie from Yale can punt and play TE - let's pick him up!

In the 6 games McDermott and Kinchen snapped? None that I can remember. But everyone knows the nature of the game: all it takes is one mistake at the wrong time to screw a season and for a fanbase to damn a player for eternity. Paxton, as the quality player he is, has less of a chance for that play to occur.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Yes, the Patriots are going to cut the best long snapper in the league to give the spot to a TE who has NEVER, not ONCE, made a long snap in a game. That's right. David Thomas has never actually long-snapped during a game.

As for Mills. I understand he was the "back-up" long snapper, but how many long snaps did he actually make?

No, maybe they'll have Hochstein or someone else snap. Maybe it will be Mills. If everyone else fails, they'll have to settle for the fallback plan and keep Lonie. But you've gotta be kidding if you think BB wouldn't love a real player to step up and win that job to save the spot.

BTW, this "best long snapper in the NFL" stuff I keep seeing here - - Question: How many Pro Bowls has this "best at his position" player been to? After you give the answer, perhaps you should ask "why" the answer is what it is.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=18977&pcid=41

The term versatility gets thrown around a lot when describing a football player but in Garrett Mills’ case, it’s a deserving label. At Tulsa, Mills was a jack-of-all-trades. He played tight end, H-Back, fullback, special teams and even filled in as the deep snapper for three games when the starting long snapper was injured.

“The guy is amazing,” Tulsa’s tight end coach Matt Wells said. “Garrett never long snapped in his life and when we needed someone, he stepped right in and did it for three games. He did everything for us at Tulsa. Heck, he even returned punts in the Oklahoma game. No lie, a tight end returning punts. That’s the kind of kid he is. He’ll do anything to help his team win.”

Don't know how you make that equation. (long snapped and was your typical H-Back = suddenly an amazing player.)

And damn, he can return punts too! That waste-of-space Troy Brown needs to pack up his limited WR role and let Garrett Mills take over things. Hell, it's only for 3-5 snaps a game, anyways!

Last edited:
tombonneau said:

Hmm.. Lets see, I can remember, specifically, 2 missed field goals in the SB that year. Can you honestly say that neither was the fault of the long-snapper Brian Kinchen?

Belichick loves Paxton because he snaps quickly. I remember him talking about how they time the long snappers from how long it takes them to deliver the ball to the holder/punter from the start of the snap, and Belichick said Paxton is one of the quickest at getting the ball back there accurately.

Also, teams are hesitant to have a regular player long-snap, because if there is an injury they are screwed. That is one reason why so many teams set aside a roster spot specifically for a long-snapper, and why that player usually doesn't play a big role on other units. Granted, Mills has yet to earn any role, but nonetheless the long-snap role is more important than you think.

shmessy said:
BTW, this "best long snapper in the NFL" stuff I keep seeing here - - Question: How many Pro Bowls has this "best at his position" player been to? After you give the answer, perhaps you should ask "why" the answer is what it is.

So now how many Pro Bowls a player goes to determines how good he is?

Peyton's been to 6 Pro Bowls since Brady was in the league. Brady's been to 4. Therefore, Peyton is the better player at his position...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey