PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There will be no Super Bowl loss hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Period. Even the best writer in town, Reiss, has mentioned it a few times. There simply will not be a Super Bowl loss hangover for this team.

The loss to the Colts in the AFCCG in 06 was just about as demoralizing a loss. Look how they came back from that.

Not to mention, this team got more talented this offseason.

Definitely agree with you!?!?

:agree:

OK, list how we got more talented this off season. Draft picks?

Yeah, I wouldn't say we got more talented as much as I would say that we got younger and quicker this offseason. That was definitely something we needed considering our guys on the other side of the ball showed their age and looked completely gassed by the end of the Super Bowl.

OK, list how we got more talented this off season. Draft picks?

Jerod Mayo
Terrence Wheatley
Fernando Bryant
Tank Williams
Victor Hobson
Shawn Crable

A HEALTHY...
Chad Jackson
Richard Seymour
Dave Thomas
Sammy Morris

And Adalius Thomas playing in his proper position

Deeper and more versatile may be the correct wording instead of more talented.

We're going to need career years from our front seven because as much as we want to downplay Samuel's impact, we simply did not replace his contribution. The secondary worries me. I also worry (to a lesser degree) about the O-Line.

Super Bowl hangover is right up there with Madden curse.

Let's examine:

2001 Rams 14-2
2002 Rams 7-9
That year that were -19 TO differential, worst in the league. That might have had something to do with it, not a mythical hangover.

2002 Raiders 11-5
2003 Raiders 4-12
I think everyone would agree that team was running on Gruden's fumes and Callahan was in over his head. That showed in 2003.

2003 Panther 11-5
2004 Panthers 7-9
Lost Steve Smith at the start of the season and all their RBs. Nick Goings was their top rusher with 821 yards. This team was ravaged by injuries. Again, no hangover.

2004 Eagles 13-3
2005 Eagles 6-10
McNabb was injured this year and they were dealing with the TO fiasco in full effect.

2005 Seahawks 13-3
2006 Seahawks 9-7
Made the playoffs.

2006 Bears 13-3
2007 Bears 7-9
This team caught a ton of breaks in 2006 not to mention Devin Hester and 13-3 was an inflated record.

Basically, the only team that is somewhat remotely comparable is the Rams who were pretty dominant in 2001. But again, I think their regression in 2002 has to do more with their #32 TO differential than anything else.

We're going to need career years from our front seven because as much as we want to downplay Samuel's impact, we simply did not replace his contribution. The secondary worries me. I also worry (to a lesser degree) about the O-Line.

I don't worry about the O-Line but as the days go on toward the start of the season, I start to worry more and more about our secondary as well.

I think regardless of the rookies we're all going to be very pleasantly surprised by the contributions of Bryant and the overall tutelage of Capers. My gut tells me our secondary is actually stronger this year than last. Time will tell, it's just a hunch, but I think we're faster, deeper, and our starters will both have more experience than last year. Not to mention Hobbs should (god I hope) be healthy and could be quite a contributor.

Dom Capers and the Defense. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve and how they are going to modify the scheme and become more aggresive.

Jerod Mayo
Terrence Wheatley
Fernando Bryant
Tank Williams
Victor Hobson
Shawn Crable

A HEALTHY...
Chad Jackson
Richard Seymour
Dave Thomas
Sammy Morris

And Adalius Thomas playing in his proper position

Minus a corner. In my mind draft picks do not make you more talented. If
that was so San Diego would have been supremely talented with Ryan Leaf.
Healthy players with talent is good. Unhealthy players with talent is bad,
hopefully we will get these players back on the field ready to play. RS, I
am worried about as I am not sure his tank isn't running dry and CJ is still
an unknown, just like the draft picks (and Thomas). Morris was good last
year and was lost with an injury. More talented team? I'll wait and see.

Deeper and more versatile may be the correct wording instead of more talented.

So very true, now it will be put to the test and mouths will drop wide open!

God this year is so ours!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey