PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There is no way --- makes the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread makes me feel old. Remember the Patten thread like it was yesterday.

What I cannot remember is who started it. Does anyone remember?

No clue, my main memory of it was the way it dominated the screen in the old forum layout!

(Hoo boy...just realized that the "new" forum software started SEVEN years ago. Have I really spent that much of my life on this board? :eek:)

Several years ago there was a thread that somebody started, stating quite emphatically that 'there is no way David Patten makes this team'. The thread elicited hundreds of responses; Patten not only went on to make the roster, he had an extremely productive career with the Pats.

Now as kind of an inside joke, there seems to be an annual 'there is no way (fill in the blank) makes the team' comment or thread during training camp.

Hope that helps, I'm sure some of the other veteran forum members can fill in some additional details from that original thread.

I remember a three or four years ago I look up the old forum and that thread and counted the replies and it really wasn't as long as remembered I thing about 20 page or so if it was on this type of forum.
There are far more members now with far larger threads now. The job that Ian has done on this site is increadable. If anyone can find that old forum that would be a hoot.

Also, I really can't see Sammy Morris actually making the team, unless the Pats really value having a fullback.

I agree, exc. that he isn't really that good a FB, either.
During Chung's botched fake punt, Morris whiffed on his block attempt,
so that even if Chung had fielded the ball cleanly, he would've had nowhere to go.

Bill really missed the boat by not signing one of LeRon McLain, Vonta Leach or Jason Snelling.

There is no way ALL of the undrafted free agents make the team. :)

Wilhite is a good one and with Dowling (unless he gets IRd) and Bodden seems like a slim to non shot.

I'll say Anderson. He's pretty mediocre -- he did all his pass rushing last year in a on a team that had absolutely no secondary, and hasn't been good in years before that (hell even his 12 sack season was about as good as TBC's big sack year). Too much depth and youth at the spot, if Anderson makes it it seems like an indictment of the other players around him, not because of what he brings to the table.

Also Morris, but that seems obvious.

My expectations are:
Anderson, Morris, Wilhite or Butler, Hoyer and Tate have noch future in this team.

Last edited:
Vereen and Ridley .

Would make it based on draft selection. They dont deserve a spot

WTF are you talking about? By all accounts Ridley has been one of, if not the best RB in camp? And Vereen will not be cut, his homerun potential will keep him around a while, even if he struggles early on.

Now onto the Patsfans.com past time:

I think Willhite and Morris are gone. And I think Faulk will have a hard time making the team, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Guyton bumped by Fletcher.

Last edited:
Vereen and Ridley .

Would make it based on draft selection. They dont deserve a spot

Funniest post I've read all day. You do know that Vereen was a 2nd round pick and Ridley was a 3rd?

Thought he was the next Walter Payton ... Lol (woodhead)

Well he does look like Walter Payton when we're playing against the Jets. :cool:
Thanks for reminding us. BTW we also recently stole Shaun Ellis off your roster.
How's it feel? :D

Wilhite is a good one and with Dowling (unless he gets IRd) and Bodden seems like a slim to non shot.

I'll say Anderson. He's pretty mediocre -- he did all his pass rushing last year in a on a team that had absolutely no secondary, and hasn't been good in years before that (hell even his 12 sack season was about as good as TBC's big sack year). Too much depth and youth at the spot, if Anderson makes it it seems like an indictment of the other players around him, not because of what he brings to the table.

Also Morris, but that seems obvious.

About how much of this is actually serious? :confused:

Last edited:
I was just thinking the same thing.

I have no idea who, but the first person that came to mind was NEM.:eek:

I also thought NEM, but something tells me that isn't correct. That was back in the days when I only stalked this board and hadn't even signed up yet. Even then I could tell that NEM was special. And there was that other lunatic, whatshisname.

It's weird that NEM is still the only Patsfan I've ever met. We should have a "do" or something.

No clue, my main memory of it was the way it dominated the screen in the old forum layout!

(Hoo boy...just realized that the "new" forum software started SEVEN years ago. Have I really spent that much of my life on this board? :eek:)

Yep, and you keep getting better and better.

It makes me sad to say this, but I don't see Kevin Faulk making the team. Barring any injuries, Vereen (hopefully he'll get healthy soon), BJGE, Ridley, and Woodhead are all ahead of him at this point IMHO, and unlike Sammy Morris he can't play fullback.

do we know vareens injury? what is it?

my guess is carson butler

I heard that TheSolderKing has been missing out on a lot of reps. Apparently he hasn't shown up for TC at all. He keeps claiming he has no contract and some other b.s. about BB not telling him to show up. I'm betting he gets cut. Book it.

I think I recall BJGE...was part of a few such threads.

My 2011 choice is Sammy Morris.

Ellis.....BB just pumps him for info :p

Thanks for the info. I HAD read about it a few years ago, but had forgotten the specifics.

Patten was a key guy. Weird that someone was so passionate about him being cut.

For 2011 : maybe Faulk - but if Vereen is hurt + short camp... Ty Warren would have been a solid choice because I didn't see that coming..

Can --- rush the passer as well as !!!! does? :p

Considering all the signings of late, I am prepared to say that NO ONE makes the 2011 New England Patriots team. I see this as the ultimate head-fake. Coach B trades EVERYONE and ends up with 75 picks in the 2012 NFL Draft, with which he buys an entire new team. The Patriots forfeit the whole season, and then outfake everyone next year and win it all. :rolleyes:

Or not.

Honestly, I am amazed at the talent on this TC Roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back