Welcome to PatsFans.com

There are noble protesters, and then there are scumbag protesters

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I think everyone knows about the recent anti-war protest in Washington. Where I totally support an individuals right to protest, peacefully of course, I also believe that there is a right way, and a wrong way, to express one's feelings. As awful as war is, sometimes, the manner with which some protest, is worse. This is a banner that some scumbag POS's were carrying with a smile on their face.

[​IMG]
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A small percent of the population is completely nuts (as the people holding that poster show). Communists, neo-nazis, pacifists, Earth Liberation Front members, ulta-nationalists, Klansmen, Black Panthers, Fred Phelps's, etc.

They don't deserve to be taken seriously. They're entitled to their opinions, but we should feel more than entitled to ignore their opinions.

That's why I won't let myself be associated with any movements or groups - I don't let anyone speak for me.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The larger the party, the more extremes you get. Whether it's these nuts, or David Duke in the Republican Party, Fred Phelps in the Democratic Party (at least he once was), or what have you, that's the price of a big umbrella. Fortunately, the idiots in that photo represent a tiny, tiny minority of people.
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Why the mention of parties? You always find a way to make thing party driven.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I thought that, too. Some things are more fundamental than Democrat or Republican.
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I'm surprised I need to explain the reason for my simple analogy, but here goes: I don't want others to think the idiots in the photo are representative of the anti-war movement, so I chose to draw a parallel to other umbrella groups.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

These are the same type of "Filthy Smelly Mother F-ckers" I saw in Harvard Sq during the Viet Nam War WHEN HANOI HANNAH FONDA WAS SCREAMING AND YELLING ABOUT HOW GREAT THE VIET CONG WERE.

As I said in another post, "HOSE THEM DOWN AND LET THE POLICE DOGS CHEW ON THEM"
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:enranged:

Gotta love your juice, Harry, but we're going to have to enroll you in some kind of "sensitivity training" seminar or something. Or maybe "anger management".

:D :D
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Not for Patters. He views the world in terms of Democrats, and Republicans. It's really kinda sad.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Nah, they're not indicative. Afterall, they were carrying the sign at the Rally where the head speaker, or one of the head speakers, was Hanoi Jane.

:rofl:
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

I am definitely Anti war, wear it on my sleeve proudly, a couple of years went to NYC to march in a protest there. When I got there I found a mishmash of a bunch of wacko causes, free Mamula, Environmental and a bunch of other crap that was very loosely related to the antiwar movement. Needless to say I did something else.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

Nuke The Whales
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Someday we will whale the nukes.

I hope it is soon. Saw a story on TV last night about Chernobyl. Affected some 2 million people. Effects still today. I live 250 miles from the edge of the danger zone.

Good nukes - YES

Bad nukes - NO
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I lived 40 miles away in Kiev at the time, you ain't kidding.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Is that right? Were you a citizen or visiting?

How long did you stay after the meltdown?
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My family and I are from Kiev, we lived there until we came to the US in 1988. The meltdown happened on my birthday (April 26), and we found out about it from relatives in the US (the government kept it quiet for a few days, even as they were evacuating Pripyat (the town closest to the power plant). We were personally lucky in that the wind in the days following the meltdown was blowing north towards Belarus instead of south into Ukraine, but later that summer I distinctly remember seeing heads of cabbage over 2 feet accross (obviously we tried to avoid the mutant produce).

Interestingly enough, I'm still a strong supporter of (safe) nuclear energy.
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Amazing. Small world. I'm in Vilnius. Been here ten years +. Came the week before the Pats's SB vs. GB.

The program I saw last night was via the National Geographic channel, and it talked about the folks from Pripyat. About the fire fighting team, in particular. One young guy was married, his wife was almost due.

He was the one who went onto the roof of the blow-out reactor. Said he felt his face "tingling" after he came down. Wife said she felt similar when she went to the window to look out and see what was happening. He died within a few weeks; his unborn child died, too.

We've got four Chernobyl-style reactors about 55 miles from where I live, up in Ignalina. After Chernobyl the surrounding countries, especially Finland, Sweden, and Norway, gave several billion usd to upgrade the safety systems, but the European Union still said the reactors all have to go by 2009 (approx.). They're talking about building a safe western-style reactor afterwards. I hope they do. Better than burning oil or gas or coal.

//
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

That is why the "Aliens In The Flying Saucers" keep checking on us, they will only let the "Crazy Humans" go so far with their Nukes then they will destroy earth, they don't want the "Crazy Humans" f-cking up the universe throwing nukes at each other.
    :bricks:
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The last part makes sense.

But I don't think they want to destroy earth. I think they're looking for a parking place. Just like in Boston. :eek:

//
  20. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mike Mamula is in prison?