PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There are no must picks nor must positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone drafted in the first four rounds would be expected to become a contributer and to better the team. Later picks are always long shots.

A month ago WR was a must position. It's not now. We have brought in three free agents. But what if bb knew he was signing these free agents after the draft. Would that then make WR a mus Day One pick. Nope!

We now see the key needs as LB and DB. Fair enough. That doesn't meet that the draft has to be the mechanism of filling those needs. And also, it is not clear at all that the FO agrees with our assessment of needs. I am certain that we need to address the needs at these positions. The question is how and when.

CORNERBACK
I would like to see a first round corner. However, I would not be upset if we signed a long-term deal with Samuel, extended Scott and signed Mickens. I would not be disappointed going into TC with Samuel, Hobbs, Scott, Mickens, Gay and Spann. We will likely keep four corners, plus perhaps one more as one of the last on the roster at ST's or as a developmental player.

STRONG SAFETY
I suspect that Harrison is expected to play through 2008, with Sanders as his backup. That's fine with me.

SPECIAL TEAM SAFETIES
We have Mitchell and Andrews. These could be upgraded, but this is fine for the season.

FREE SAFETY
It is here that we have no solutions as yet. We have two players who are in their contracts years: Wilson and Hawkins. The emergency free safeties are Scott and Gay. UNLESS WE SIGN (OR KNOW WE WILL SIGN) A VETERAN FREE SAFETY, we should probaly draft a couple of free safeties.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
We need no help here. We are more than fine with Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas and Woods. I suppose, we could upgrade Woods, but I wouldn't. Give the kid another year! He looks as good as TBC did at this point, or Alexander. He'll be an inexpensive backup for another three years.

INSIDE LINEBACKER
Obviously we need serious help here at the moment. Bruschi, Alexander, Mays and Izzo are exactly a star group at ILB. But how would you fee if we were to sign Hartwell, Seau and Gardner. Me, I would be fine with Bruschi, Seau and Hartwell in the rotation, and with Izzo and Gardner as the STers, with Gardner as the #4 ILB, in the same role as Woods at OLB.

BOTTOM LINE
I think wqe expect to sign at least two ILB free agents and a corner. GIVEN THAT, there are no critical needs for the draft, except at free safety.

The one position I would like to see us solidify before the draft

is inside linebacker. Maybe the Hartwell thing (if there is one)

will surface this week when the FO returns from Florida.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey