PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Theory: Pass blocking is more important than run blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakadave

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This has been my theory for awhile, but let me now make it explicit. Great pass blocking is much more important than great run blocking.

When you're great at run blocking, you can average 4.4 yards per carry instead of 3.6. Over the course of a game, this gets you a few extra first downs, and maybe 3 to 10 extra points. It also raises your time of possession.

When you're great at pass blocking, your quarterback can play as Brady played yesterday against the Jets. You can march down the field for many TDs a game, instead of just one or two TDs. Over the course of a game, this gets you an extra 14 to 24 points.

A good defense can stop the run if they really want to. Running attacks force defenses to adjust, but they are not unstoppable.

A good defense can't usually stop a great passing attack, even if they want to. The Colts realize this: protect Manning and not too much else matters too much. The Patriots have been geared this way for years in terms of the type of O-linemen they draft.

How many teams have won Super Bowls without a great running attack? (e.g. 2001 Patriots, 2003 Patriots)

How many teams have won Super Bowls when their quarterback was under seige, getting sacked all day? (None?)

We're about to think more highly of the Patriots O-line this year than we used to, and it's not because of their run blocking (which yesterday paved the way for Maroney to average like 3.1 per carry after his first touch).

Last edited:
I think it is important to have a balance. Also offensive lineman don't like to pass protect all day, they like run blocking because they become the aggressors.

The most important reason pass blocking may be a little bit more important is that the QB is usually the most important player on the team (Bears are excluded from this example). A missed assignment pass blocking can get your QB killed and end your season. A missed run block results in a 1 yard loss or no gain.

BB seems to think that establishing the run and stopping the run are the cornerstones to winning. I will defer to him.

Against the Jets the early running success opened up the passing game, once the passing game clicked the run was opened back up (ebb and flow). I may have read it wrong but did the Patriots really have a 10 minute drive? that is one of the longest drives I can remember.

If you can't run the ball, see how long your great pass blocking holds up.

Great pass blocking by Indy or Chiefs includes running game by Edgerrin, Addai, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson.

while it is important for success to have balance this statement is true for one simple and undeniable fact TOM BRADY

This has been my theory for awhile, but let me now make it explicit. Great pass blocking is much more important than great run blocking.

When you're great at run blocking, you can average 4.4 yards per carry instead of 3.6. Over the course of a game, this gets you a few extra first downs, and maybe 3 to 10 extra points. It also raises your time of possession.

When you're great at pass blocking, your quarterback can play as Brady played yesterday against the Jets. You can march down the field for many TDs a game, instead of just one or two TDs. Over the course of a game, this gets you an extra 14 to 24 points.

A good defense can stop the run if they really want to. Running attacks force defenses to adjust, but they are not unstoppable.

A good defense can't usually stop a great passing attack, even if they want to. The Colts realize this: protect Manning and not too much else matters too much. The Patriots have been geared this way for years in terms of the type of O-linemen they draft.

How many teams have won Super Bowls without a great running attack? (e.g. 2001 Patriots, 2003 Patriots)

How many teams have won Super Bowls when their quarterback was under seige, getting sacked all day? (None?)

We're about to think more highly of the Patriots O-line this year than we used to, and it's not because of their run blocking (which yesterday paved the way for Maroney to average like 3.1 per carry after his first touch).

Decent theory, but it's wrong. The very essence of the game of football is the ability to run the ball. Very few champions have EVER lacked good run blocking. Ask anyone who played offensive line in college or even high school which is more important.

Of course we all know, any championship team needs balance...you have to be able to run AND pass block and do both at the highest levels.

The funny thing about the game of football is that there really isn't much ground-breaking theory to uncover until you get down to play calling and system development. The good teams are very unpredictible...the great teams don't care if they're predictible because they're going to do whatever they want and no one can stop them!

Last edited:
Agree that balance is very important; yet, there is something that seemed to be a hallmark of BBs' and Parcells' teams until this season with the Pats and last season with the Cowboys:
Parcells and BB tended not to draft WRs & TEs in the early rounds or sign high-priced WRs, as they employed a strategy that by having a sound QB with good protection, they could win with mid-level salaried WRs and TEs. This was proven by Parcells with the NYGs, NEPs, NYJs, and Cowboys until Glenn was drafted by NEPs despite Parcells' protests and TO was signed by the Cowboys against Parcells' wishes.

BBs' philosophy changed this season with the additions of Moss, Welker, and Stallworth; however, the big difference is that BB was part of the decision to go this route and signed all to cap-friendly terms.

The point is that if a reasonably talented WR or TE can get open, a QB who is protected can get him the ball. While both also favor a running capability, the O-lines they had on those teams were decent run blockers, but excelled at pass blocking. So, I believe your post has some validity in that pass blocking is paramount, but not to favor the passing game over the running game. It's to keep a very talented QB healthy to distribute the ball and play another day.

If you can't run the ball, see how long your great pass blocking holds up.

Great pass blocking by Indy or Chiefs includes running game by Edgerrin, Addai, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson.

This is exactly my point of view too. Did the Patriots' OL suddenly become pass-blocking gods overnight? Or were the Jets' heads spinning from the combo one-two punch they received on the first series. Maroney up the gut WHAM for 11 yards. Welker and Moss slashing across the field. What do you defend first?

Well, the Jets kept their safeties back, no one blitzed, and our OL (which played great, don't get me wrong) looked like Gods. Were it not for Randy Moss and the threat of Maroney breaking a big one, you would have seen people blitzing Brady.

Kudos for our O-line for sustaining blocks one-on-one for a hecukva long time, but the run of play made them look better than any OL in the league could possibly hope to be. They looked like the best OL in the history of the NFL. They're not.

Your theory is wrong. You must be able to run and pass block. And if you can do one better than the other you want to be able to run block better. You control the game and the clock by running the ball.

Forget blocking, what you're saying is "passing is more important than running" because passing gets you way more yards. That's like saying jelly is better than peanut butter; in fact you need one to set up the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back