Welcome to PatsFans.com

Theory (maybe dumb) on this year's defense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TX_Patriot, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX_Patriot

TX_Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Over the years we've heard the BB really likes vets on his D because of the complexity of the D, mostly the disguises and pre-snap movement.

Monday night, it appeared to me that the team was doing a lot more moving around on D than we've seen all year, trying to confuse Sanchez and the Jets' O.

So my theory (or question) is, has BB played a much more vanilla D this year because he was afraid of confusing the youth he has on that side of the ball? And if so, was Monday night BB's declaration that the D is finally ready to play his style of deception?

Again, this could all be BS, but if BB is finally comfortable enough with his D that the playbook is now fully engaged, we could see something special going forward.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +403 / 1 / -2

I think there's an element of truth in your theory, and it's what most people hoped would happen over the course of the season. With so many young players, you can't always have a ton of looks while they're still mastering the basics. Same thing with the perceived lack of adjustments during games. You can only have so many plan B's, plan C's, and plan D's in the gameplan when your youth is learning the basics, and like BB said after a game this year, "We're not in game drawing plays in the dirt." (para.)

As the young guys get more comfortable and start playing on instinct rather than having to think about every assignment, it opens the door for BB to layer in more wrinkles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.