PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Theismann down on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon on 98.5 the Sports Hub, Joe Theismann said that he saw a different Tom Brady this year. Theismann described Brady as "aloof" , and claimed that Brady had a hard time getting excited and motivated to play football from week one this season.

Felger furthered the story on Sportstonight last night, with his usual negative spin. Felger stated that Brady's career was built from February through May in the offseason workout program in which Brady no longer participates with the same work ethic, that he had showed previously in his career.

Kinda hard to argue. For whatever reason(s) whether it be injuries, being side-tracked with family issues,etc. I don't think anyone is going to argue with the fact that Brady was not himself this year. If that IS true about the off season workouts, hopefully, it will light a fire under his ass.

I love TB as much as the next guy, but sometimes people speak the truth. Some of Brady's decisions this season were just not Brady-like, and I'm talking about later in the year. Locking in on receivers, throwing some absurdly horrible interceptions (vs. Miami, vs. Houston, vs. Baltimore), failing to develop chemistry with ONE other receiver besides Moss/Welker. Brady had a huge life change. First he took one of the worst losses in the history of sports (SB42), then he blew his knee out, then he got married, rehabbed, traveled, had his second kid, etc. I have no doubt that he can rediscover his passion for football. It's not that he doesn't care.. .he cares a lot, but from my naked eye, there was something aloof about him last season. His level of intensity and preparation were not typical of the past Brady.

Theismann was not down on brady but said he used to look like "we are going to kick your az" look to trying hard. He said brady was trying too hard to make things work and letting things not come naturally.
Felger brought about the whole wife /kids angle and theismann said that is just stupid. He said he won SB and had some big season after he was 33 while have kids, 2 radio shows and running a business. felger moved away as he could not argue when joe said that.

Brady will be back...that is what joe said. felger is a funny guy he loves to be loud and make some noise. I am sure he make good $$$ acting the fool.

Last edited:
I love TB as much as the next guy, but sometimes people speak the truth. Some of Brady's decisions this season were just not Brady-like, and I'm talking about later in the year. Locking in on receivers, throwing some absurdly horrible interceptions (vs. Miami, vs. Houston, vs. Baltimore), failing to develop chemistry with ONE other receiver besides Moss/Welker. Brady had a huge life change. First he took one of the worst losses in the history of sports (SB42), then he blew his knee out, then he got married, rehabbed, traveled, had his second kid, etc. I have no doubt that he can rediscover his passion for football. It's not that he doesn't care.. .he cares a lot, but from my naked eye, there was something aloof about him last season. His level of intensity and preparation were not typical of the past Brady.

there's nothing in his contract about married, traveled, 2nd kid being acceptable reasons for being aloof

that said, its a different offense if they actually had an offensive coordinator

Felger stated that Brady's career was built from February through May in the offseason workout program in which Brady no longer participates with the same work ethic, that he had showed previously in his career.

What the hell? Did Felger follow Brady around from February to May everyday to see what Brady was doing to be able to comment on his work ethic?

Good grief. Every single one of you that are "down on Brady", go tear your ACL and take a year off of whatever it is that you compete in at a high level. Try to come back and be at the same exact level you left off. I don't understand if people think of the NFL as some fantasy world or what.

This is the same type of idiocy as 2006 where Brady was supposedly disinterested and mad at the front office. It's as if some people are never tired of looking like complete idiots, no matter how often they are wrong.

I don't agree with a word Felger says but how does he get away with such direct contradicting statements?

Felger stated that Brady's career was built from February through May in the offseason workout program in which Brady no longer participates with the same work ethic, that he had showed previously in his career.

Anyone care to remind this idiot what Brady was doing in February of 2009? Because it sure as well wasn't lounging around a pool with a healthy knee.

Yesterday afternoon on 98.5 the Sports Hub, Joe Theismann said that he saw a different Tom Brady this year. Theismann described Brady as "aloof" , and claimed that Brady had a hard time getting excited and motivated to play football from week one this season.

Felger furthered the story on Sportstonight last night, with his usual negative spin. Felger stated that Brady's career was built from February through May in the offseason workout program in which Brady no longer participates with the same work ethic, that he had showed previously in his career.

This stuff is pure BS. I don't know where people get this stuff. Pretty much every beat writer this year said Brady was there as much as anybody and his work ethic was stronger than ever.

Felger is embarrassing himself with these interviews. His interview with Marshall Faulk revealed himself to be what he is. This guy has no ties to the Patriots, and deep-down, I think he probably despises Patriots, or at least most of the people involved in the organization. Felger likes to act like a tough guy, but he was pretty cowardly in his interview with M. Faulk.

Theismann was not down on brady but said he used to look like "we are going to kick your az" look to trying hard. He said brady was trying too hard to make things work and letting things not come naturally.
Felger brought about the whole wife /kids angle and theismann said that is just stupid. He said he won SB and had some big season after he was 33 while have kids, 2 radio shows and running a business. felger moved away as he could not argue when joe said that.

Brady will be back...that is what joe said. felger is a funny guy he loves to be loud and make some noise. I am sure he make good $$$ acting the fool.

Thank you for clarifying, I figured all the stupid stuff would be coming from Felger and not Theismann. Completely different from what the OP painted coming from Theismann. Thanks

just watch the pats all access shows and see how fired up he is. guy came to work on time after his baby was delivered. show his commitment to the team.For some reason people want himto the *bleeping* parking spot every yr just to show his commitment. what the f*k does 'aloof' mean ? Guy was playing hurt .he didnt play well on occaisions but this whole body language interpretation andquestioning his ethic is typical boston media. they want to find a reason to trash someone eventually. they didnt spare ted williams and they wont spare anyone..:mad:

This is the same type of idiocy as 2006 where Brady was supposedly disinterested and mad at the front office. It's as if some people are never tired of looking like complete idiots, no matter how often they are wrong

The part that gets me the most is the whole "Giselle=Yoko" crap. Since Brady has been with Giselle, he has had his two best statistical seasons, including one in which he blew away every important scoring record and went through regular season undefeated. He gave the Patriots a lead with 2 minutes left in order to go 19-0. Fate intervened.

I'm not sure how that reflects on Brady, Giselle, his work ethic, his lifestyle, his personality, or whatever else all these yahoos like to whine about. If anything, again, 2007 was unquestionably his best season. There's a faction of our fanbase that is just kind of pathetic when you think about it.

Good grief. Every single one of you that are "down on Brady", go tear your ACL and take a year off of whatever it is that you compete in at a high level. Try to come back and be at the same exact level you left off. I don't understand if people think of the NFL as some fantasy world or what.

This is the same type of idiocy as 2006 where Brady was supposedly disinterested and mad at the front office. It's as if some people are never tired of looking like complete idiots, no matter how often they are wrong.

I don't agree with a word Felger says but how does he get away with such direct contradicting statements?

Anyone care to remind this idiot what Brady was doing in February of 2009? Because it sure as well wasn't lounging around a pool with a healthy knee.
says "no longer participates" like its happening for past 5 yrs. Last yr he was injured and this yr we have just hit feb.

just watch the pats all access shows and see how fired up he is. guy came to work on time after his baby was delivered. show his commitment to the team.For some reason people want himto the *bleeping* parking spot every yr just to show his commitment. what the f*k does 'aloof' mean ? Guy was playing hurt .he didnt play well on occaisions but this whole body language interpretation andquestioning his ethic is typical boston media. they want to find a reason to trash someone eventually. they didnt spare ted williams and they wont spare anyone..:mad:

The boston media trully is ridiculous, and it's historical. I swear they all hate their jobs.

A few things:

1.) Brady is no longer a 23 year old skinny kid who still is working on building his armstrength and mechanics. That was why it was so important for him to be here in the offseason and why he won the offseason awards. Brady just doesn't need the offseason preparation he did when he was a second or third year starter. By most accounts, he is still very active in the offseason program here.
2.) The whole Gisele and the kids thing is whooey. Is Brady the first NFL QB to ever get married, have kids, and live in another state during the offseason?!? Many very successful people, even more successful and harder working than Brady, have been able to compartmentalize their lives and still be very successful with far more distractions.
3.) I think Brady hit a perfect storm of adversity last year, many of which was beyond his control. He was returning from a season ending injury that caused him to miss the entire 2008 season. He probably had a broken finger and cracked ribs for a large chunk of the season. He had a new inexperienced signal caller. There was no depth at the receiver position. Moss was playing with a separated shoulder. The Pats went into the season with the intention of leaning on the offense while the defense went into a transition period.

I expect Brady to rebound in 2010. I could be wrong, but I thought most of the problems were fixable. Even having an off year, he did have a pretty good season. Not to Brady standards, but still above average for NFL standards.

What the hell? Did Felger follow Brady around from February to May everyday to see what Brady was doing to be able to comment on his work ethic?

No, Felger is referring to the infamous "parking space". The hardest workers in the offseason program are awarded priority parking for the upcoming season. Brady always had the best parking spot during the 3 super bowl title years. However, Brady has not had that priority parking for the last few seasons.

While it is surely possible that Brady is making up those offseason work out hours somewhere else in the country, it is definitive, he simply does not work out in Foxboro, the way he had earlier in his career.

Kinda hard to argue. For whatever reason(s) whether it be injuries, being side-tracked with family issues,etc. I don't think anyone is going to argue with the fact that Brady was not himself this year. If that IS true about the off season workouts, hopefully, it will light a fire under his ass.

Being sidetracked with family issues? Do you know anything about Kevin Faulk's family? Or Ty Warren's family? No, of course not, all these guys have lives outside of football. Besides, would you rather he be a single bachelor going out to clubs and bars every night of the week? I guarantee you Brady has more time to spend on football now than he did when he was a single, eligible bachelor living in Boston. There's a consistency that having a family provides, and he's actually spoken about this very issue on WEEI.

If Mike Reiss, Perillo, and the other beat guys that I respect say Brady's demeanor and work ethic are stronger than ever, I'm going to take their word for it.

Last edited:
what the f*k does 'aloof' mean

aloof - adj.
Distant physically or emotionally; reserved and remote.

The boston media trully is ridiculous, and it's historical. I swear they all hate their jobs.

They don't hate their jobs - they hate the talented athletes whose existence predicates the existence of their jobs. These media guys are pathetic. What does Bill Belichick owe them? What does Tom Brady owe them? Nothing. The Felgers, Mazzs of the world, these little twerps get a paycheck because Brady and Moss and Faulk go out and bust their asses off all year.

No, Felger is referring to the infamous "parking space". The hardest workers in the offseason program are awarded priority parking for the upcoming season. Brady always had the best parking spot during the 3 super bowl title years. However, Brady has not had that priority parking for the last few seasons.

While it is surely possible that Brady is making up those offseason work out hours somewhere else in the country, it is definitive, he simply does not work out in Foxboro, the way he had earlier in his career.

The coverage of the parking lot is so ridiculous. If wilhite wins the parking space next yr and gets burnt then what do we say ? Does every good QB in in every team win a parking space to justify his work ethic ? They are just using a non pats SB to trash the team. heck they trashed the team even before their own SB with the rams taping BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes