Theisman would choose Brady as the Best player he'd start a franchise with

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Another offseason thread under ESPN, they asked a couple of their guys to pick what player they would choose to start a franchise with, Theisman choose #12, they have Jeffri Chadiha picks LaDainian Tomlinson RB, San Diego;John Clayton picks Peyton Manning, QB, Colts;Matt Mosley picks Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals; Len Pasquarelli picks Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884722

Joe Theismann: Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
The guy I'd start my franchise with is Tom Brady for a number of reasons. The first reason is because he's still fairly young at 29 years old so he can lead a team for seven or eight years. Two, he has no baggage in terms of off-field issues. The third reason is because he's one of the best leaders in football. He's a guy who leads his team on and off the field. He's one of the first people in the morning meetings, always gives his all in the offseason and makes sure to put in the practice time with both the veterans and the younger players.

The final reason is probably the biggest. Brady is the type of guy you want to be the face of an organization. He's handsome, smart, talented and easily marketable.

Re: Theisman would choose Brady as the Best player I'd start a franchise with

Pasquarelli picks Steroid Boy to start a franchise. Did he watch Merriman's only playoff performance? The one where he was a total non-factor? Too much baggage and too inexperienced. I would be pissed off if my franchise began with Merriman.

I'll take the guy's opinion that accually played the position in Thiesmen vs. The Little Worm....that most likely never played a sport in his life.

I've thought about this as well, and if I were picking a quarterback as the franchise player it would most definately be Brady. He is, by all accounts, one of the two best at his position, is younger than Manning and has proven in the past that he can and will make the players around him better than they actually are. That last part is important if you have to be a well balanced team with some limitations on spending.

I've thought about this as well, and if I were picking a quarterback as the franchise player it would most definately be Brady. He is, by all accounts, one of the two best at his position, is younger than Manning and has proven in the past that he can and will make the players around him better than they actually are. That last part is important if you have to be a well balanced team with some limitations on spending.

Bingo....Spend money so you have a top notch defense, and have Brady as your QB. Unlike Manning, he has shown to be able to win without all world talent at the receiver position. My opinion of Manning hasn't changed. His performance still drops of alot come playoff time.

Another offseason thread under ESPN, they asked a couple of their guys to pick what player they would choose to start a franchise with, Theisman choose #12, they have Jeffri Chadiha picks LaDainian Tomlinson RB, San Diego;John Clayton picks Peyton Manning, QB, Colts;Matt Mosley picks Carson Palmer, QB, Bengals; Len Pasquarelli picks Shawne Merriman, LB, San Diego

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884722

Joe Theismann: Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
The guy I'd start my franchise with is Tom Brady for a number of reasons. The first reason is because he's still fairly young at 29 years old so he can lead a team for seven or eight years. Two, he has no baggage in terms of off-field issues. The third reason is because he's one of the best leaders in football. He's a guy who leads his team on and off the field. He's one of the first people in the morning meetings, always gives his all in the offseason and makes sure to put in the practice time with both the veterans and the younger players.

The final reason is probably the biggest. Brady is the type of guy you want to be the face of an organization. He's handsome, smart, talented and easily marketable.

Good god, are these sportswriters idiots?

- A running back with a probable shelf life of a couple years?
- A ******* linebacker? Who may not even be the best linebacker in the game, who has a tarnished reputation and a history of getting pwned by Matt Light in important games?

At least I can respect Claton and Mosley's picks.

what you all fail to realize, is that some editor assigned them to do that writing. He picked the subject, and the players to be included. He then assigned each writer one player.

I'm not buying that - Clayton would have picked Manning even if his name didn't appear on the list!

- A ******* linebacker? Who may not even be the best linebacker in the game, who has a tarnished reputation and a history of getting pwned by Matt Light in important games?

Let it be know that I HATE Shawne Merriman with a passion and would love nothing more than to watch him get his knees blown out and back broken in the same play. That said, Matt Light does not have a "history" of pwning him in big games. He wrecked havoc on him in one game... a game in which he was injured.

Pasquarelli picks Steroid Boy to start a franchise. Did he watch Merriman's only playoff performance? The one where he was a total non-factor? Too much baggage and too inexperienced. I would be pissed off if my franchise began with Merriman.

Len Pasquarelli: Shawne Merriman ?????

What a tard. Like someone else said, I personally think TB is the obvious choice, but you can at LEAST see how Manning (specially by Clayton :rolleyes: ) and LT would get a few mentions. Even Carson (sorta), if not just for the age factor alone.

But Merrimen. Yeah great way to start a franchise, with your star player sitting for 3 months for "sipping" a little to hard on the "juice box". What a joke.

now doubt...the colts org had to surround manning with talent, and went into the 07 offseason with 200k of cap room....and that was when, 10 years later?, he won his first superbowl after coming into the league...and had harrison/wayne has his top two guys for countless years...i say this again, let the pats spend nearly all the salary cap, give brady a solid oline, and 2 great receivers and see how many superbowl's he could win

manning, 31, has 2-3 years of serious superbowl contention left in him, then he'll start going into his "favre" years....all due respect for favre i love himm lol....but he'll just keep trying to hang onto the colts to make a playoff run after his prime and he wont get there

manning in his early years lost a LOT in the playoffs, and was even pounded 41-0 by the jets....

up until the 06 bronco's division game...brady was a perfect 10-0

i'll take brady

and to take LT, when he's just about to go over the hill...that is stupid, almost as stupid as given shaun alexander an extention 7 year 56 million deal, when he turned 28...

i dotn even have to mention roid boy in SD...his body will break down at age 26 b/c of all the steroids he took....and oh...its easy to get 17 sacks in a year if pretty much the only thing the def. coordinator uses you for is an outside pass rusher....what did he do in the pats vs chargers game? he did nothing, b/c the def. coor. actually thought..."lets actually try seeing if he has anycoverage skills"....

Last edited:
I can understand how you might pick Brady, Manning, and Palmer. All of those QB's are great quarterbacks. But in the end, I would rather choose between Manning or Brady, because Palmer has never had an amazing season. And that is with Chad Johnson, and T.J Houshmanzada (sp?). But he is definitely an above average QB.

But the reason i would pick Brady is that you can build your team starting with him, and still get a great defense, because you don't need to spend a lot on Brady, and you don't need to spend too much on the offense. Manning would want a lot of money, and would require some great receivers.

And what kind of idiot would pick Merriroids? He is and he will crash in a year or so, and he is already starting to look like Jason Giambi. (using steroids makes you look weird).

Spelling T.J. is harder than it looks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes