theisman and jimmy johnson on BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=182271&format=text

ESPN analyst Joe Theismann was particularly irked that Belichick caught grief for not giving Peyton Manning the proper embrace following the AFC title game. (Belichick called Manning on the Friday before the Super Bowl to wish him luck and has been congenial with him at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii).
“That’s the biggest crock of baloney in the world. You just get beat in an AFC Championship Game -- what are you supposed to do, go up and hug a guy?” Theismann said. “People ought of get off of Bill’s back. This is the most important thing to him, winning the football game....
“I used to go out after losing a game and shake a guy’s hand, but I wasn’t out there making friends. I wasn’t interested in friendships. As far as Eric Mangini goes, that’s another coach. Every entity in the NFL is us against the world. I’m not going out there saying, hey, ’You beat me -- way to go!’
“Why can’t you respect for Bill Belichick for being the person he is? Just like you respect Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith or Mike McCarthy or anybody else in this game. If he doesn’t want to go out and be huggy and smoochy with somebody at the 50-yard line, that’s cool.”

“If you’re on top, people want to take shots,” Johnson said. “They don’t take shots at the guys on the bottom. It comes with the territory. But he’s a first-class individual and a great football coach.”

FWIW

Good to read.

Theismann says a lot of dumb things but every so often he says something really poignant and inciteful.

This is from coldhardfootballfacts.com.

Theismann wrote it February 3, 2002, right before Superbowl 36. It's almost spooky.

Theismann: "The New England Patriots will win Super Bowl XXXVI."
Cold, Hard Football Facts: New England beat St. Louis in Super Bowl XXXVI, in one of the great upsets in modern NFL history.

Theismann: “The Rams have been susceptible to turnovers.”
Cold, Hard Football Facts: The Rams blew Super Bowl XXXVI by committing three turnovers.

Theismann: “(New England running back) Antowain Smith may run for only 80 yards, but every yard he gains will be valuable toward their ability to control the football and keep it away from the Rams' offense.”
Cold, Hard Football Facts: Smith was the game’s leading rusher with 92 yards on 18 carries and helped keep the ball away from the Rams’ offense.

Theismann: New England has three playmakers on offense, David Patten, Troy Brown and Jermaine Wiggins.
Cold, Hard Football Facts: Patten (pictured here) scored New England’s only offensive touchdown of Super Bowl XXXVI, while Brown and Wiggins caught the last two passes on New England’s final, game-winning drive.

Theismann: "(Tom) Brady was a better choice (at quarterback) than (Drew) Bledsoe."
Cold, Hard Football Facts: Believe it or not, Brady vs. Bledsoe was actually a big debate in the days leading up to Super Bowl XXXVI and Theismann was not necessarily in the majority. Nobody doubts today that he was correct.

Theismann: “The most critical matchup is Marshall Faulk on the Patriots' linebackers.”
Cold, Hard Football Facts: Bill Belichick recently said that the key to New England’s Super Bowl XXXVI defensive game plan "was decided by two words: Marshall Faulk.” The former NFL MVP was punished all day by New England’s linebackers.

Theismann: If the Patriots “can hold Faulk to around 80 rushing yards or less, New England will have a decided advantage.”
Cold, Hard Football Facts: Faulk was held to 76 yards rushing on 17 carries.

Theismann: His final Super Bowl XXXVI analysis was almost prophetic: “I look at the score as 27-24. The game will be close and decided at the end. Adam Vinatieri really got the Patriots to where they are. There is no reason why he can't get them to the top. What's so nuts about that?”
Cold, Hard Football Facts: New England won 20-17 on a last-second Vinatieri field goal. So, there’s nothing nuts about that, Joe. Unless you believe those who say that there’s a fine line between insanity and genius.

Joe "Nostradamus" Theismann. Thanks for that post by the way.

My new sig..

Good to read.

Theismann says a lot of dumb things but every so often he says something really poignant and inciteful.

This is from coldhardfootballfacts.com.

Theismann wrote it February 3, 2002, right before Superbowl 36. It's almost spooky.

That was almost scary. Hope Joe played the lottery that week.

No surprise to me. Does anyone else remember Theismann talking about how he went to throw for the Patriots in training camp? Another not-so-publicised "friend of Bill".

I respect the guys opinion, but still dont like him in the brodcast booth.. He should move to sunday countdown, and get rid of mike irvin..

Good articles,thanks guys.

Nice one! Thanks for putting it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes