PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

THEARCHIVES IS RIGHT AGAIN: MARONEY MORE CARRIES=Success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You guys always think I'm full s@#$ when I make suggestions about the Pats but when the Pats include Maroney more, their offense is more effective. Sorry Corey Dillon lovers but Maroney gives the Pats a "burst" that Dillon no longer is capable of. However, Corey is still effective on short yardage and gives the Pats a great backup. I told you guys that Pats would draft Maroney and you guys laughed at me. I recently wrote a post saying the Pats should include Maroney more and most people thought it was a useless post. THEARCHIVES prevails....again!

Yes, it was you and you alone who suggested that Lawrence Maroney should get more touches in this offense. From where did you conjure such canny insight?

patsox23 said:
Yes, it was you and you alone who suggested that Lawrence Maroney should get more touches in this offense. From where did you conjure such canny insight?

I don't know smartass, ask the rest of the forum. They always think they know what they are talking about.

ARCHIVES, I'm just messing with you, but do you really think people haven't been clamoring for Maroney to play a more active role in the offensive gameplan???

i agree i think maroney is incredibly explosive and can really add too the offense / ST ....but to be honest...putting maroney in more could hardly be considered an epiphany considering he was our 1st pick and everyone has seen what he can do...
by all means though...i agree;)

Sorry to burst your bubble archives, Maroney must be tight with you. I cant recall Laurence having a burst this season against a relatively good run defense. He has gotten a few yards then taken down against good defenses. He isnt the superstar yet like you want him to be. More carries for LoMo is NOT good. In the future sure because he will do great but I remember games like Denver when Maroney tried to run and run but couldnt do a thing. Since Dillon was injured, they went to him a lot and eventually they had to give up. Do some TOUGH research and see Laurence's stats against good run defenses. They arent anything near amazing, buddy. It'll take a little more than ten games for him to become Marshall Faulk or whoever you think he resembles.

Corey had a bad game, no doubt. But he has also had good games and is putting points on the board. He is about the most reliable guy in the redzone that the Patriots have to get it into the Endzone. You clearly appaear to lack the common sense, that with two good running backs you split the carries not just send one of them to the sidelines as a cast away. Jee, glad you arent coaching the team.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble archives, Maroney must be tight with you. I cant recall Laurence having a burst this season against a relatively good run defense. He has gotten a few yards then taken down against good defenses. He isnt the superstar yet like you want him to be. More carries for LoMo is NOT good. In the future sure because he will do great but I remember games like Denver when Maroney tried to run and run but couldnt do a thing. Since Dillon was injured, they went to him a lot and eventually they had to give up. Do some TOUGH research and see Laurence's stats against good run defenses. They arent anything near amazing, buddy. It'll take a little more than ten games for him to become Marshall Faulk or whoever you think he resembles.

Corey had a bad game, no doubt. But he has also had good games and is putting points on the board. He is about the most reliable guy in the redzone that the Patriots have to get it into the Endzone. You clearly appaear to lack the common sense, that with two good running backs you split the carries not just send one of them to the sidelines as a cast away. Jee, glad you arent coaching the team.

Another poor sport pissed because I'm right again. I'm fully aware of Maroney's game against Denver. THEY ONLY GAVE HIM 12 CARRIES! Most runners need more carries to finally break one. I agree that Dillon should be a redzone back but to give Corey more carries than Maroney is stupid. I'm not saying that the Pats should tell Dillon to sit on the bench which most of you guys are missunderstanding or just plain skipping it in my posts. I clearly say that the Pats should use him on goal line and come on so Maroney has a breather. That is a lack of reading on your part. All I'm saying is that the Pats need to find ways to involve Maroney a lot more like they did on Sunday. Granted, they played against Green Bay defense but Chicago will be a very stiff challenge for the entire Pats team.

Kdo5 said:

I agree with you. I hope Maroney becomes a beast and pro-bowl back, but how they are using him now is just right. they are both keeping each other fresh and that will continue to be very important come playoff time (when we may not have a bye). Its not like he had a 100+ yard game either, archives is acting like he was the sole reason we won the game and gave up less than 150 total yards on defense....

THEARCHIVES said:
Another poor sport pissed because I'm right again. I'm fully aware of Maroney's game against Denver. THEY ONLY GAVE HIM 12 CARRIES! Most runners need more carries to finally break one. I agree that Dillon should be a redzone back but to give Corey more carries than Maroney is stupid. I'm not saying that the Pats should tell Dillon to sit on the bench which most of you guys are missunderstanding or just plain skipping it in my posts. I clearly say that the Pats should use him on goal line and come on so Maroney has a breather. That is a lack of reading on your part. All I'm saying is that the Pats need to find ways to involve Maroney a lot more like they did on Sunday. Granted, they played against Green Bay defense but Chicago will be a very stiff challenge for the entire Pats team.
ARCHIVES, I know you may be illiterate, but in my post I said nothing of giving Dillon more carries. I said you were flat out wrong about basically stripping Dillon of 75% of his carries. I said splitting the carries is perfect and it is what should be done.

Maroney had a bad game vs Miami as well he was constantly stuffed by a good defense. His greatest game came against the Bengals, and they are pretty damn close to the Colts in terms of stopping the run. Miami and Denver, both games Maroney struggled, and both games Corey got injured and didnt return into the game.

I'm certainly not a poor sport, just sick of you being an idiot boasting about something that you are completely wrong about and do not understand. I'm not a Maroney hater, I think he is going to be a top NFL running back someday but you speak of him like Marshall Faulk, your all over his you know what.

Oh and you also say Dillon has no burst. He doesnt have a lot of bursts but if I remember only a little more than a week ago he broke the longest run in the Belichick-Pats era. Plus, occasional bursts arent nearly what it takes to be a good NFL running back. There are a number of things you have to be able to do, not just break a 30 yarder.

Maroney had more carries when we were clearly winning. I think you're reading too much into all of this archives. Rookies earn their keep on this team even when they perform well.

If you were right...Maroney would have had more carries early in the game...but he didn't, Faulk did...your post means nothing. In fact, no players playing time should be analyzed with yeaterdays game...it was a throwaway easy win.

Burst speed is wonderfull .... but I like the 2-headed monster a bit better this year...especially now that the monster's 3rd head is roaring.

BTW: we beat the Rams in the SB with a RB with negative burst speed...Pokey Smith with his power was perfect for those playoffs. I'll take an all around back all day long.

F.B.N. said:
BTW: we beat the Rams in the SB with a RB with negative burst speed...Pokey Smith with his power was perfect for those playoffs.

My milk almost came out of my nose I laughed so hard when I read that.... thanks for the good analogy... "negative burt" I really like that one

THEARCHIVES said:
You guys always think I'm full s@#$ when I make suggestions about the Pats but when the Pats include Maroney more, their offense is more effective. Sorry Corey Dillon lovers but Maroney gives the Pats a "burst" that Dillon no longer is capable of. However, Corey is still effective on short yardage and gives the Pats a great backup. I told you guys that Pats would draft Maroney and you guys laughed at me. I recently wrote a post saying the Pats should include Maroney more and most people thought it was a useless post. THEARCHIVES prevails....again!

Actually, many mock drafts had us taking Maroney early on--
Jan-4
Feb-7
Mar-5
(from the composite draft site of the Wash Redskins)
Interest slacked off when it appeared we wouldn't sign a free agent LB.

IMO, Maroney is getting a little OJT on running between the tackles against NFL defenses so far, with mixed success. He is much more successful when Tom gets him the ball in space, ala his TD last Sun. I expect we will see more attempts to do so as the season winds down, but it is a testament to the patience of the coaching staff that they are trying to mold him into a complete back and not just one-dimensional.

Kdo5 said:
ARCHIVES, I know you may be illiterate, but in my post I said nothing of giving Dillon more carries. I said you were flat out wrong about basically stripping Dillon of 75% of his carries. I said splitting the carries is perfect and it is what should be done.

Maroney had a bad game vs Miami as well he was constantly stuffed by a good defense. His greatest game came against the Bengals, and they are pretty damn close to the Colts in terms of stopping the run. Miami and Denver, both games Maroney struggled, and both games Corey got injured and didnt return into the game.

I'm certainly not a poor sport, just sick of you being an idiot boasting about something that you are completely wrong about and do not understand. I'm not a Maroney hater, I think he is going to be a top NFL running back someday but you speak of him like Marshall Faulk, your all over his you know what.

Oh and you also say Dillon has no burst. He doesnt have a lot of bursts but if I remember only a little more than a week ago he broke the longest run in the Belichick-Pats era. Plus, occasional bursts arent nearly what it takes to be a good NFL running back. There are a number of things you have to be able to do, not just break a 30 yarder.

Idiot boasting? That's a good one. I'm wrong about Maroney? I understand football more than you think. I'm also a former football player, so spare me on how much you think I may know about the game of football. I'm sure if you were running the team, you probably wouldn't play Maroney. Your those types of kool-aid drinkers that would run Dillon until his legs fell off. Wait, I don't think you would have even traded for Dillon back in '04, you would have kept things status quo with Antowain Smith because he "knows the system". Right? Please, I'm not comparing Maroney to anybody but with the talent level of his, he needs to be on the field more. What do you think the Chargers did with the talent level of Tomlinson? Did they just bring him along slowly? No, they started him from day one. Remember, I'm using Tomlinson as an example, so don't try to say that I'm comparing Maroney to Tomlinson. Do you think everyone that is drafted by the Patriots is a complete ****** or illiterate? These guys have been playing football their entire lives. I do understand that Maroney hasn't done well against elite defenses but I when he hardly gets any carries it's hard to get going against any team. Sorry bro, any other coaching staff, football expert and pro scout would agree with me and use Maroney a lot more. End of story! Nice debating with you.

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
Sorry bro, any other coaching staff, football expert and pro scout would agree with me and use Maroney a lot more. End of story! Nice debating with you.

Archives you bring up many good points. But you are forgetting that Belichick uses a system where players earn their playing time...talent is just 1 part of that as well as need of course.

Regardless of talent, Belichick has never let a talented draft pick leapfrog over a veteran who is playing well. Richard Seymour's rookie season is a great example of this.

There is no doubt that Maroney is the best back...the back that gives us the best chance to win...and all the rest.

However, if Belichick changes his system it affects the entire structure of the team....Belichick won't do it. I'd bet Belichick would love to feature Maroney...but it won't happen this regular season. Playoffs would be a better bet for it but it won't happen this regular season.

You need to factor that into the argument...it's the most relevant of all factors here. To think that Troy Brown is better than Chad Jackson at WR is crazy at this point. But even though Chad could affect a game a whole lot more...it won't happen until he earns it....

Maroney is still earning...all the guys interviewed mention this...it's no secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back