PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Wright attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct.

Good stuff. More importantly Wright gives the Pats flexibility on the DL and allows them to have the depth to play the 4-3 at times.

This year's D has the chance to be something good. But guys like Wright among others need to step it up. Seau also seems to be on the right track. As long as the Pats can stop the run and bring some nastiness to the D they will be in the hunt.

The new Klecko

borg said:
The new Klecko

Wright actually has a clear position. Klecko did not. The only thing they have in common is they are both blond.

patchick said:
Nice piece, nice player. Well deserved.

BTW, the photo accompanying the article is on the Globe's main Pats page...
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/
Holy smokes, Matt Damon has gained 100 pounds! :)

You're right, he does look like Matt Damon. And that definitely isn't a bad thing.:D

Everyone wants to extend a key player. I nominate Wright. The DL would be all signed through 2008.

Ya gotta luv this quote...
``I'll never forget Bill Polian came in one day and I was talking about him to Bill, who was with us in Carolina [as general manager], when we had guys like Jason Peter," said Gill. ``I said to Bill, `He's a lot better than him. If he comes in, he'll make somebody's club.' Mike is a guy that can really run. He's no slouch."

And effin Polian didn't get the gem, we did!

mgteich said:
Everyone wants to extend a key player. I nominate Wright. The DL would be all signed through 2008.

If he holds up, I personally would have no problem giving him the same money as Warren or Wilfork; he'd've earned it.

And, BTW, I can just imagine "The Mike Wright Story" with Matt Damon as Wright. . . . :rofl:

ctpatsfan77 said:
If he holds up, I personally would have no problem giving him the same money as Warren or Wilfork; he'd've earned it.

And, BTW, I can just imagine "The Mike Wright Story" with Matt Damon as Wright. . . . :rofl:

Someday I hope to work for a boss as generous as you and the others.

I'd cash those checks as quick as I could.

We have 3 #1 picks on the line. This guy has one tackle as a starter, he was a free agent and you want to pay him as much as Warren and Wilfork.

You might want to run that by Mr. Kraft first.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Someday I hope to work for a boss as generous as you and the others.

I'd cash those checks as quick as I could.

We have 3 #1 picks on the line. This guy has one tackle as a starter, he was a free agent and you want to pay him as much as Warren and Wilfork.

You might want to run that by Mr. Kraft first.:rolleyes:

I said he deserves that money if he holds up. I didn't say sign him now to that kind of money.

And I should have been a little clearer: I meant a cap figure around their current one (i.e., closer to $2M/year than $350K), not a deal identical to theirs.

ctpatsfan77 said:
I said he deserves that money if he holds up. I didn't say sign him now to that kind of money.

And I should have been a little clearer: I meant a cap figure around their current one (i.e., closer to $2M/year than $350K), not a deal identical to theirs.

Well, if we had 53 players under contract, (we have 59 plus 8 on the PS), the average salary would be only 1.92 milllion.

Throw those extras in and pay Brady, Seymour, Harrisom, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Dillon etc. and I doubt you talking a million average for the non star players.

And a lot of those guys are starters. You gonna take money away from Samuel, Gino, Koppen and others so a free agent backup can make 2 million a year?

Why not wait until he makes a break through as a starter before worrying about him holding up?

Of course that's not likely and that's why he'll be a good back up at back up pay.

If somebody wants to pay him a ton, we'll have to let him go. We're already paying Jarvis good dough to back up potential all pros.

By the way, I don't pretend to understand the numbers and the cap.

I just know if you over pay one, you have to cut somewhere.

I've always liked Wright. He gives us depth so when our bulls get tired, he comes in, or we slap him in the 4-3. This DL is so deep. You can never have enough depth, and we have two pretty decent guys in Sullivan and Wright :]

BionicPatriot said:
I've always liked Wright. He gives us depth so when our bulls get tired, he comes in, or we slap him in the 4-3. This DL is so deep. You can never have enough depth, and we have two pretty decent guys in Sullivan and Wright :]

And Jarvis Green. I see us rotating players to keep fresh and just trying to beat people up.

Hard to take out any of the front three, though.

It finally looks like we're going to use four linemen more than usual. Not just a an OLB with his hand down.

RayClay said:
By the way, I don't pretend to understand the numbers and the cap.

I just know if you over pay one, you have to cut somewhere.

The Pats are $10M+ under the cap, so showing Wright some love, so to speak, wouldn't require taking money away from someone else (at least not this year, and probably not next year, either).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots