PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The word on Faulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met him in the airport a couple years ago, good guy. And as others have said it will be very difficult to replace him. He always seemed to have the knack to make that one need play in crucial situations.

Get well Kevin.

Faulk was a great 3rd down back because the defense had to take him seriously as a RB between the tackles, a blocker, and as a receiver out of the backfield. Replacing him this season is not going to happen.

You are correct and this will likely alter our gameplanning more than any other injury on offense could with the exception of that rich preppy kid.

I know the thought of Edelman as the 3rd back sounds great but scary as hell when you think of blitz pick up and would be little to no threat between the tackles. Woodhead is likely to raw and doesnt have the system knowledge. IMO the best person to replace this role would be Fred Taylor he is not the same recieving threat as Faulk but I would trust him in this role especially after seeing that blitz pick up from the bengals game. Someone would have to fill his role as lead back and we also would be asking Taylor to increase his reps which is where Woodhead could get used (to keep Taylors 3rd down reps down).

Last edited:
Saw this via rotoworld.com

Kevin Faulk - RB Sep. 21 - 8:17 am et

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said only that the Patriots' medical staff was "still doing tests" on Kevin Faulk (knee).
Faulk didn't talk to the media after the game and was seen with his eyes red from tears, so it certainly seems possible that the injury is serious. Given the Patriots' disclosure regarding injuries, we won't know the severity until they absolutely have to tell us.
Source: Boston Globe

Damn! It didn't look good Sunday but I was hoping it looked worse than it was :( Kevin would've had a banger season too I think, he's got so much heart. Crap.

Get well soon Kevin, you'll be missed!

If Kevin is out, wouldn't Sammy Morris be the best remaining back at blitz pickup? He's not the receiver that Kevin is, and nowhere near as elusive in tight spaces, but I'd trust him more than Woodhead or Edelman in the role of protecting Tom from getting clobbered by a free blitzer.

The nature of the beast

At least it is not

Brady
Welker
Tate
Moss
Hernandez
Gronkowski
McCourty
Chung
Merriweather
Mayo

need I go on???

we are so thin on DB's 1 more injury their would have been devastating:rolleyes::eek:

I'll throw TBC in the mix..... he is our best rusher:eek:

**** Woodhead, wasn't Edelman practicing at RB this offseason. There's your fix at 3rd down back. :rocker:

**** Woodhead, wasn't Edelman practicing at RB this offseason. There's your fix at 3rd down back. :rocker:

I suggested this earlier, but now I'm thinking he's not stout enough to pick up the blitz, which leads me to believe he won't be a good fit.

most importantly, who is going to pick up the blitz?

the RB situation is similar to ILB a couple of years ago. maybe the pats can get corey dillon or antowain smith to come back like seau did.

anoth questionable personnel situation

Potential Faulk fill-ins:

WOODHEAD - Fits the mold, but has no NFL experience to back it up. Can he pass protect?

EDELMAN - Unconventional thought, but they've experimented with him at the position already. Simply, it gets the best offensive players on the field by putting him in this position. Blitz pickup is the key here. Can the former QB suffice in that role?

HERNANDEZ - You hate to take a guy who is succeeding in one role and put him in another, but it would be an added dimension to the offense. He'd be lethal catching balls coming out of the backfield, but maybe its a waste of his speed to not have him spread out. Pass protection: his size and speed and experience blocking at TE would point to him being a solid blitz pickup guy. Unfortunately, you'd rather have him out catching balls.

I wouldn't bank on this but who knows maybe they feel Edelman could get it done. Crazier things have happened Troy playing CB :D. But to me the question should revolve around what was he doing when he was in the backfield and did he ever try to blitz pick up. If it was a gimmick than likely this is not an option if they did it with the thought of finding a legit passing option and blitz pick up where they felt any other back would not be enough of a pass option.

EDELMAN - Unconventional thought, but they've experimented with him at the position already. Simply, it gets the best offensive players on the field by putting him in this position. Blitz pickup is the key here. Can the former QB suffice in that role?

I just made this point in my previous thread and I am not saying they didnt but just because he has been in the backfield on some plays does not mean he was experimented as a 3rd down back (sort of like Ronnie Brown running the wildcat doesnt make him a QB it may have just been a gimmick)

I just made this point in my previous thread and I am not saying they didnt but just because he has been in the backfield on some plays does not mean he was experimented as a 3rd down back (sort of like Ronnie Brown running the wildcat doesnt make him a QB it may have just been a gimmick)

Very true, good point and an important distinction.

I suggested this earlier, but now I'm thinking he's not stout enough to pick up the blitz, which leads me to believe he won't be a good fit.

Well, I guess on those downs you could bring someone else in. I know that's tipping our cap, but it can be a temporary fix.

Somebody has to do it....BJGE, Edleman, Woodhead, Morris.............somebody needs to step up.

Blitz pick is indeed VERY important.....size may not matter as much as good leverage and intelligence to react and find the right rusher.

Do we keep Faulk around next season?

Daaaaaaaaaamn.

So is that for his career? I guess he retires a Pat now?

This is a huge huge loss, before anyone says we shouldn't of traded Maroney, let me point out 2 things.
1. Nobody can foretell injuries.
2. Faulk played a complete different role on this team than Maroney, faulk was a blocker great at picking up the blitz, incredible third down receiver and seemed to be able to gain yards on draws when Maroney and others would fail.

Now it seems it's time to see James and Woodhead or trade for a back such as a Choice, or Mcgahee.

This is a huge huge loss, before anyone says we shouldn't of traded Maroney, let me point out 2 things.
1. Nobody can foretell injuries.
2. Faulk played a complete different role on this team than Maroney, faulk was a blocker great at picking up the blitz, incredible third down receiver and seemed to be able to gain yards on draws when Maroney and others would fail.

Now it seems it's time to see James and Woodhead or trade for a back such as a Choice, or Mcgahee.

omg shut up!!!

wtf do you mention Lomo..... he is a POS. I am glad he is gone Faulk or no Faulk. :):):)

you worm

how dear you mention Maroney in this thread:bricks:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back