PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The word 'Finesse' team vs. Physical Team has once again been brought up this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I am getting a bit irritated by the media,in particular ESPN Radio and whoever is doing commentary on there as referring to the Pats as a 'finesse' team,they say the way to beat the Pats is simply punch them in the mouth and they show vulnerability when it happens as the Giants,49ers they give for examples.

Nate Solder in particular was pointed out as being a 'finesse' LT and they say he will have his hands full with a very physical Terrell Suggs this weekend.

Do any of these guys ever watch the Pats games and see the defense laying a whipping out there on the opponent?,its not like they are playing flag football and the secondary is pummeling a lot of these receivers lately and making them pay.

I know,some will say don't listen to ESPN radio,but in my area this is all the football talk we get on air while I am driving since the Steelers and Eagles have gone golfing :rolleyes:.

Re: The word 'Finesse' team vs. Physical Team has once again been brought up this wee

As much as it gets thrown around, I don't even know what 'finesse team' means other than it is supposed to be derogatory. Is it supposed to imply that winning by having an effective passing offense is somehow not legitimate? Does it imply that it takes zero physical effort or talent to pass block? Is a team that runs a lot and is 2-14 more 'physical' than a team with a good passing game that wins 12 or 13 games?

To me the whole finesse/physical terms are just another example of lazy journalism. Why the implication that linemen on a team with a proficient pass offense are not 'physical'? I'd love for one of these reporters make one of those comments to Logan Mankins, with no cameras or microphones rolling.

Re: The word 'Finesse' team vs. Physical Team has once again been brought up this wee

"Finesse" = "teams see their end zone celebrations at an abnormal rate."

People who refer to the Patriots as a finesse team haven't been watching the Patriots, specifically their rushing attack this season.

A physical team is a team noted for beingshort on talent.

According to another thread on this board, BB disagrees with that notion but more than anything I think the mediots who say this are basing their claim on the Patriots' past reputation. Back in 2007 the Pats didn't have a consistent running game and since they were killing teams with Moss and their spread offense they kind of got away from it even more. For that, the Patriots got a reputation of being 'Finesse and Soft' as opposed to a being 'ground and pound physical' team.

But that was then and this is now. Even though our passing game is our strength, we can also beat teams on the ground if we have to, which makes this offense even more dangerous. The mediots aren't out there on the field playing defense trying to stop the Patriots. I would love to hear what teams who have played the Pats this year have to say about this. I doubt we would get an honest answer out of them but I bet their opinion would be a little different from what these mediots are saying. The image of a gassed JJ Watt desperately trying to catch his breath in the 4th qtr of that first game comes to mind.

I'll never get that Ladanian cheer before The Jets got blown tha fug out 45-3.

"We physee-cawl... dey finesse! We physee-cawl... dey finesse!"

Wat a genius. 3 trips to the AFC Championship Game... 3 losses. heh heh heh. Bub-bye now. No Supe for you!

It reminds me of the term "system QB". It's BS.

So in ESPN land MAnkins and B Spikes are finesse players?

Typical ESPN.

Brandon Spikes, Jerod Mayo, Vince Wilfork, Dont'a Hightower, and Devin McCourty *have* always struck me as finesse players. Mankins, Ridley and Bolden too.

Last edited:

Not to mention, the Patriots have been a better running football team than the Ravens. Let the mediots do the talking. The Patriots will prove it on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back