PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "What player will get cut and shock others" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go out on a big big limb here and say Neal will be cut. I'm serious ... I think injuries have gotten the best of him.

Wouldn't it, if anything, increase the likelihood that Harrison would stay?

Not really. Players age and become no longer an asset. We've seen it from this coaching staff. Bledsoe, Coates, Law, Milloy, Vinatiei, Johnson and alot more 2nd tier guys I don't feel like naming.

Point is this team doesn't hold on to players with big salaries that are way past their prime. Ask Rosie Colvin. Do you think he signed with the Texans thinking he has a legitimate shot at a title or did he sign for the most money he could get?

I hate to say it, but Rodney is expendable.

I'll go out on a big big limb here and say Neal will be cut. I'm serious ... I think injuries have gotten the best of him.

No way of knowing......hopefully, his leg is fine, shoulder fixed and he is back to his good old dominating self.

Could go either way.....I going with he'll be back and ready, based on the draft and only Ross acquisition.

Not really. Players age and become no longer an asset. We've seen it from this coaching staff. Bledsoe, Coates, Law, Milloy, Vinatiei, Johnson and alot more 2nd tier guys I don't feel like naming.

Point is this team doesn't hold on to players with big salaries that are way past their prime. Ask Rosie Colvin. Do you think he signed with the Texans thinking he has a legitimate shot at a title or did he sign for the most money he could get?

That's not quite my point. You wrote:

And while I'm on the subject of Rodney I think the likelyhood increases if Junior doesn't come back (or isn't wanted.

My question is simply, "Why does cutting Seau make Rodney more likely to be cut?"

He gets my vote. Not even because of injuries, but because when I look at the team's cap hits, his stands out as being not nearly commensurate with his performance. I think there's a downward renegotiation in his future. Barring that, Yates or Kaczur will be playing RG this year with Britt or O'C taking over at RT.

After the SB disaster I don't see them cutting Neal to create two unknowns on the right side of the line. At least when he plays he's solid and only RT is a question.

The Pats didn't cut or trade any of those guys during camp with the exception of Milloy and that was a very long time ago.

If Rodney Harrison or another big veteran was going to be cut, he would have been cut in the spring when Colvin was cut.

The Pats didn't cut or trade any of those guys during camp with the exception of Milloy and that was a very long time ago.

If Rodney Harrison or another big veteran was going to be cut, he would have been cut in the spring when Colvin was cut.
I agree...but what was a LARGE surprise that hit the team was TJ...and that happened a day before camp opened. Retired...gone and with Bruschi out with a stroke...it made ILB incredibly weaker. THAT was a shock!!! HAd a larger impact than Milloy...as they already had a player in place..Harrison..but with TJ, a day before camp, they had to scramble. Maybe the Milloy cutting had an emotional impact more so...but playing wise..far more impact.

Bledsoe wasn't cut, he was traded - and it had nothing to do with age. Ditto Law and Milloy who were released because they were in the back end of deals (and in Lawyer's case not making the consistent effort a leader should) and wouldn't renegotiate. They were willing to guarantee Law $16M as part of a restructure... They were willing to pay Adam as much as Indy did - just not up front, they wanted to keep him the highest paid kicker on a year to year basis and he wanted a committment. Johnson retired because he was scared of himself in the aftermath of Tedy's stroke. Bill had no plan to cut him or his salary and was stunned by the aftermath.

Rodney isn't going anywhere. He may be asked to take a pay cut, or he may not. He'll do whatever it takes 'cause he ain't going anywhere else. Bill appreciates that Rodney is instinctive and can play multiple roles and like Tom and Tedy has NEVER lost his hunger inspite of multiple rings. The fact that Rodney was in the exact right place to make a play to thwart the Giants and it took a freak act that could likely never be replicated for him not to is also not lost on the HC as it is on some fans. He may not be Ed Reed at this juncture, but he's already only making half as much...at a third as much he'd remain a bargain for his situational versatility and unit leadership. Remember, a lot of inexperienced or minimally experienced youngsters and veterans unfamiliar with this system may be staring or rotating in that secondary.

I don't think there will be a really shocking camp cut this season. We had holes to fill and mostly focused on those in the draft. A few players may emerge from behind the starters they backup and a few starters may receded into backups, but that will likely transpire over the course of the season and not in camp. I think it's far more likely the shocking non cut of this camp ends up being the cavalierly predicted demise of Cassel...not to mention absent competition Hansen. Let's face it, who'd have predicted he'd be coming to camp in 2008 let alone unchallenged...

My question is simply, "Why does cutting Seau make Rodney more likely to be cut?"

I think it would be just another indicator that the team is moving towards getting younger and faster with the back 8 of the defense.

I honestly don't think Rodney will get cut nor do I want him to. I was just answering the original sentiment of the thread and after thinking about it that's what I came up with.

If it is an injury issue wouldn't it make sense to put him on the pup or IR him rather than just walking away????

You would hope that's always the case but the point is you never know for sure.

You would hope that's always the case but the point is you never know for sure.

What does that even mean? You can say that about anything. You always hope Tom Brady will make the team out of camp but you never know for sure.

The Pats have not cut a big time veteran player in or after camp since Milloy and you can bet it was as a direct result of that move that BB and SP made the decision to not drag out a cut like that again.

Last edited:
What does that even mean? You can say that about anything. You always hope Tom Brady will make the team out of camp but you never know for sure.

The Pats have not cut a big time veteran player in or after camp since Milloy and you can bet it is a direct result of that move that BB and SP have made the decision to not drag out a move like that again.

Tom Brady is the reigning MVP.

Rodney Harrison is a 36 year old Safety in the last year of his contract which is mostly non-garunteed.

The whole point of the thread is to guess as to who could potentially get cut that would shock people. My guess was Rodney. Read the original title. I don't think it will happen and it would shock me, but of all the guys on the roster that could be considered locks his name was one I kept coming back to.

I love Rodney and hope he gets back to his hard-hitting ways but he should have hammered Tyree enough where he couldn't hang on to that ball.

HAHAHAHA! I wish I was as consistent as you.

Thank you. You know one thing about James Sanders, even though he can't cover nor tackle, he is slow and a void out there. That's two, sorry.

Every year he excites me more. This year he won the "If only S.I. would give me a camera" award for being the closest without actually touching nor wanting to, Tyree as he made the SB winning miracle catch.

DW Toys

This thread was a guarenteed argument.

What player will get cut and shock people???

Well if you said some guys you were not shocking some people and if yuo said someone who shocked it just wasnt realistic. There were maybe 5 guys on the team that could have fit into this and even still someone was going to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back