PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "What player will get cut and shock others" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Who ever said he would be cut? In fact, I clearly stated that Belichick would never cut Bruschi and rather go the Troy Brown route last year.

Ummm - this is the "What player will get cut and shock others" thread and you named Bruschi in your first post.

2. You better not offer that. It could happen as soon as this year. I personally wouldn't bet on it, but it isn't impossible especially if Seau is resigned and Hobson and Mayo live up to expectations.

It's a sincere offer. I don't think he'll retire after being a healthy scratch OR will become a coach. I'll pay if both happen as you describe. (Did I mention that you'll owe me $1000 worth of beer if it doesn't happen?:D)

Last edited:
But Chad looks like a perfect football physical specimen. Bethel doesn't. I think that may have something to do with it. Just speculation.

(Bethel had his moments.)

I have to admit I was totally excited when we drafted him but I am no longer enamoured with him, a spot on the roster is way too valueable to waste. I hope I'm wrong

I have to admit I was totally excited when we drafted him but I am no longer enamoured with him, a spot on the roster is way too valueable to waste. I hope I'm wrong

A big difference between Chad and Bethel was that Bethel got plenty of time on the field and proved to be a speedy deep threat but no more and Chad has not gotten his chance on the field so we are still excited about the potential. I for one was as excited about Bethel as I am about Chad.

Ummm - this is the "What player will get cut and shock others" thread and you named Bruschi in your first post.

And I clearly stated he would retire and not get cut. I threw that in after my actual prediction of either Faulk or Morris as my shock cut. I don't see a scenario where Belichick would actually cut Bruschi. I could see him sitting him down and saying before the season that they are going in a different direction for his starters and that he would have limited role and give him the option to retire rather than accept that role.

Bruschi like Troy Brown are exceptions to Belichick's rule of harsh decisions without emotions. He sees value in Bruschi as a teacher to Mayo and other young players and would happily keep him around even if he doesn't get activated on gameday. I just don't know if Bruschi would be happy to try to get another ring if he isn't playing on gameday or at a very limited role.

It's a sincere offer. I don't think he'll retire after being a healthy scratch OR will become a coach. I'll pay if both happen as you describe. (Did I mention that you'll owe me $1000 worth of beer if it doesn't happen?:D)

Do you accept cyberbeer? We may never know who is right.

Last edited:
IMO this is one of the bigger battles in camp. Evans vs Eckel. I doubt we Carry five RBs and the extra FB is the easy one out. Both are good STers and both hold onto the ball pretty good for FBs.

Evans is better than Eckel, why would we cut Evans for this reason?

You are right that Evans would appear to have the leg up especially as a recieving option. But don't forget that Eckel is someone BB persumably is high on. He wasn't happy to lose him a few years ago and brought him back once he was available. Remember when we lost Eckel the first time we didn't think any would claim him because he was only cleared by the navy to play in the boston area where he was close to his base.

Also I don't think Eckel was ever really given a chance to be the true FB last year as we got him back a few weeks into the season. This training camp he will get a fair chance to show who is the better FB.

Didn't we get Evans off waivers in the middle of the season a few years back???

Evans wasn't on a practice squad, he gets picked up immediately if he's cut.

Evans was a third round pick and fbs aren't drafted high. The problem with Eckels making it over Evans is that Evans has more ability and/or experience at every job that needs doing. That includes having an experienced special teamer-we'll have lots of inexperienced ones.

Evans is three years older and has 6 years more experience, he's bigger and he has a great attitude, while Eckel is kind of a screwup.

Last edited:
Evans wasn't on a practice squad, he gets picked up immediately if he's cut.

Evans was a third round pick and fbs aren't drafted high. The problem with Eckels making it over Evans is that Evans has more ability and/or experience at every job that needs doing. That includes having an experienced special teamer-we'll have lots of inexperienced ones.

I have no problems with Evans but what gives you this idea that he is someone every team in the NFL wants. He was cast off from the dolphins and on the street when we got him (thought we got him from a PS but I was wrong). Again I am not advicating we release him just saying that Eckel may prove to be the better of the two and that this is a Camp compitition.

Also while we have some potential new STers I think there is plenty of experience to go around when it comes to STs. Izzo, Washington, the Starters that play STs, Paxton, Wright, and many more. And I think Eckel was an ace at STs last year and IMO is definitely the better STer of the two (though that doesn't help be the FB).

I've got nothing... I'd be shocked if there were any really surprising cuts. I'll say Victor Hobson though, he didn't get much interest on the FA market and there must've been a reason, so maybe he just won't be able to make the cut on a deep defense. Evans is almost a lock, and although Izzo is probably more vulnerable this year than in years past, I still don't see him being cut.

Last edited:
I've got nothing...

Yeah it doesn't seem as though there are any real heated battles for starting spots or for roster spots. Which probably means more just the opposite.

I've got nothing... I'd be shocked if there were any really surprising cuts.

That is the most likely scenario, but we are just playing a game. I said either Faulk or Morris and Bruschi as a long shot to retire, but if I was a betting man I would bet the farm that they all return.

I think that there will be two players

Eckel and Izzo

Yeah it doesn't seem as though there are any real heated battles for starting spots or for roster spots. Which probably means more just the opposite.

I disagree about the roster spots. I think there is plenty of competition for the last 12-15 spots on the roster. It just won't be a surprise if any of the 30 guys fighting for those spots are cut.

Part of being a SB contender/favorite is having those first 35-40 spots set.

Last edited:
I disagree about the roster spots. I think there is plenty of competition for the last 12-15 spots on the roster. It just won't be a surprise if any of the 30 guys fighting for those spots are cut.

Part of being a SB contender/favorite is having those first 35-40 spots set.

wasnt saying there wasn't compitition just saying there were no real heated battles. Even the one I have been pointing to (Eckel vs Evans) isnt a heated battle.

I think that there will be two players

Eckel and Izzo

would either shock anyone???

David Thomas - has potential but injury prone.

Flash back to last year...

Reports of Moss being cut...

there was almost a meltdown!!!

BTW . . . quick trivia question for those who think Faulk might be a surprise cut based on age: how many carries has Faulk had in his career, and how many has LaDainian Tomlinson had?

KYLE ECKEL? People are actually throwing HIS name out as the big shock? Holy, we're really stretching this thing if he makes the shock list. I'd be more surprised that he MADE the team!

O.K. Training camp is very close by and my annual "What player will surprise everyone by getting cut" thread is back.

You are guarandamnteed best be sure at least one player getting cut will be a shocker,so who will it be?

I will vote for shocker cut player to be ..... Heath Evans

Yours??? (BTW: No Tom Brady or Richard Seymour or other top player ****** smartass answers O.K.?)

Reche Caldwell... OOPS! That already happened last year. :p Sorry, I couldn't help making the dig!

Hrrrm, hard to pick one. Probably will be a veteran that has gone over the hill a bit. BB seems especially likely to cut the ones that fail the yearly conditioning test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes