PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "What player will get cut and shock others" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commitment can only take you so far, though. A reduced role would not prompt Bruschi to retire, but I honestly think that if Bruschi felt that for some reason the team would be better off without him--unlikely, but theoretically possible--then he might.

In any case, I put the odds of that happening at <<10%.

OK I might agree with that to some extent but that is what goes thru his mind when he made the decision a few weeks after the season. I highly doubt anything within himself would change that much to make him re-evaluate during training camp. I would put this at < or = to 1%.

Didn't we get Evans off waivers in the middle of the season a few years back???

Evans will not be waived he will be cut and become a free agent (assuming that's the course the Pats take).

Bizarro post of the month. Did the universe just fold over on itself?

The universe of reality of a 35 year old LB clearly on the decline. I said it is unlikely, but not impossible. He won't get cut because Belichick would do what he did with Troy Brown and just not activate him during games if his skill clearly eroded to the point where he can't be effective, but would Bruschi want to end his career like that.

Have you people ever watched football? It isn't exactly a stretch to think a 35 year old LB would hit the age wall really hard especially since there were signs of him hitting it last year. Bruschi was a marginal starter last year. And Bruschi is my favorite player.

Stop living in the past, Bruschi isn't 30 anymore.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY KEVIN FAULK GETS CUT.

This is a meme that floats out at least once the last few years. He is one of our BEST weapons on offense. He is, on a play-by-play basis, one of the Patriots most productive players. I understand this thread is about "shocking" cuts, but this goes beyond that, making a beeline toward impossible.

Another age issue. The guy is 32 year old RB. That age wall makes many RBs go splat overnight. Look at Corey Dillon. He went from one the best RBs in the league to a JAG in one offseason. The worst thing teams do is move on from a player after he has become a JAG. The Pats have always been against that philosophy.

I would agree that Morris is the more likely cut, but Faulk is still a possibilty especially if they get a younger guy who can fill the role. Remember when people said no way they would cut Lawyer Milloy or Roosevelt Colvin or Willie McGinest etc. I don't think there are many guys who are a total shock if they are cut other than Brady, Moss, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, and a handful of others.

I said it was doubtful, but not a total shocker. Sometimes a player when he starts to decline which Bruschi clearly has, they quickly decline into a marginal back up type of player. If that happens to Bruschi, his pride could come into effect and not want to embarrass himself rather than coming back. Many players do choose to come back and make a mockery of their career eventhough they really don't have anything left and many decide to hang up the cleats. Hopefully, Bruschi never gets to the point where he is forced to make that decision, but it could come as soon as this year. The guy is 35 years old and on the decline. We aren't talking about a guy who is 30.

You obviously don't understand the meaning of "off the wall wild card". Since you didn't grasp the meaning, let me education you. Of the wall means crazy, unlikely to happen.

People told me I didn't know what I was talking about this past February when I said Colvin was a likely cut either.

Colvin was at the end of a contract. Bruschi just signed a new one this offseason.

Educate. how about the word Shock.
shock 1
n.
C. Something that jars the mind or emotions

If Bruschi retiring before the regular season starts doesn't totally jar your mind or emotion than I don't know what would (major injury aside).

OK so I can say what ever I want without argumant so long as I say it is a "off the wall wild card". My "off the wall wild card" is that Brady decides he has everything he needs at home in Giselle and decides to never leave his house again.

The universe of reality of a 35 year old LB clearly on the decline. I said it is unlikely, but not impossible. He won't get cut because Belichick would do what he did with Troy Brown and just not activate him during games if his skill clearly eroded to the point where he can't be effective, but would Bruschi want to end his career like that.

Have you people ever watched football? It isn't exactly a stretch to think a 35 year old LB would hit the age wall really hard especially since there were signs of him hitting it last year. Bruschi was a marginal starter last year. And Bruschi is my favorite player.

Marginal starter, the guy lead the team in tackels. He may not be the same guy he was 5 years ago but with the way this team uses older LBers one would think BB would want to hang onto him. Hey maybe I am wrong maybe we cut him and we look for say Chad Brown to replace him. I mean are you forgetting that Brown was on the roster last year and his skills were way more deteriated than Bruschi's compared to their primes. The old LB while maybe being a little slow offers more to BBs de than anyone realizes.

Commitment can only take you so far, though. A reduced role would not prompt Bruschi to retire, but I honestly think that if Bruschi felt that for some reason the team would be better off without him--unlikely, but theoretically possible--then he might.

In any case, I put the odds of that happening at <<10%.

Exactly. I never said it was a likely scenario. I said it was doubtful. But the harsh reality is Bruschi and Faulk (to point to my other guy who people think is unthinkable to happen) are at the age where their skills could potentially drop to the levels of a scrub at their position. If that scenario happens to either guy, I can see them either walk away from the game (like Troy Brown should have before last season) or get cut (I don't see Belichick cutting Bruschi though).

People need to get over their emotional attachments to players and look at the reality of their situation. Bruschi really struggled towards the end of last year especially in coverage. He won't be getting better this year. Faulk is two years beyond the point where RBs tend to decline and has a decent amount of cap space tied to him. Either one leaving the team is not the most likely situation, but it isn't exactly crazy, impossible at this point in time of their career especially with Belichick and his lack of emotions in his roster moves.

Rob, this is the 'The "What player will get cut and shock others" thread'.

Unless you think Bruschi will get cut, stop answering and defending your answer "Bruschi".

Last edited:

This isn't the "Surprise Retirement" thread. Bruschi is almost guaranteed not to be cut (as you, yourself, have said).

To you or I, Bruschi is just as likely to ride the pine, inactive, in hopes for a fourth ring as he is to retire.

Even so, let me know if this is different than what you are proposing: Tedy Bruschi, a man who has risked his life to play for the New England Patriots, taken considerably less money to play here, and given his heart and body to the team for a dozen years, will retire because his role in the defense has been relegated to a situational backup.

Do you see how absurd that is?

Another age issue. The guy is 32 year old RB. That age wall makes many RBs go splat overnight. Look at Corey Dillon. He went from one the best RBs in the league to a JAG in one offseason. The worst thing teams do is move on from a player after he has become a JAG. The Pats have always been against that philosophy.

I would agree that Morris is the more likely cut, but Faulk is still a possibilty especially if they get a younger guy who can fill the role. Remember when people said no way they would cut Lawyer Milloy or Roosevelt Colvin or Willie McGinest etc. I don't think there are many guys who are a total shock if they are cut other than Brady, Moss, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, and a handful of others.

N O P E

O

P

E

If he gets cut, this forum will want BB and SP fired immediately. That is how popular he is here.

I am still trying to grasp why he is so popular... he's done nothing since he was drafted but make the IR list

Marginal starter, the guy lead the team in tackels. He may not be the same guy he was 5 years ago but with the way this team uses older LBers one would think BB would want to hang onto him. Hey maybe I am wrong maybe we cut him and we look for say Chad Brown to replace him. I mean are you forgetting that Brown was on the roster last year and his skills were way more deteriated than Bruschi's compared to their primes. The old LB while maybe being a little slow offers more to BBs de than anyone realizes.

Towards the end of last year he was pretty mediocre. He was a liabilty in coverage. He should lead the team in tackles as the only guy who started every game at ILB. In the 3-4, the ILB typically has the most tackles. Maybe marginal starter is harsh. He was an average starter.

Chad Brown is one of those guys who choose to continue their career when it is clearly over. Brown was basically a scout team guy who was rarely if ever activated for games. I can't see Bruschi ever putting himself in a Chad Brown situation. I think the first game that Bruschi is a healthy scratch, he hangs it up and starts his coaching career.

I am still trying to grasp why he is so popular... he's done nothing since he was drafted but make the IR list

I think it's because he LOOKS like he has so much potential. The guy is a freak and it's easy to drool over him. Plus WR is a glitzy position.

If he gets cut, this forum will want BB and SP fired immediately. That is how popular he is here.

for pretty much no real reason at all.

I think it's because he LOOKS like he has so much potential. The guy is a freak and it's easy to drool over him. Plus WR is a glitzy position.

Bethel Johnson was a freak also(speed), but he sucked in pretty much every other regard

I think the first game that Bruschi is a healthy scratch, he hangs it up and starts his coaching career.

1. That is not the same as being cut.

2. The day that happens I will donate $1000 to the charity of your choice.

Colvin was at the end of a contract. Bruschi just signed a new one this offseason.

Educate. how about the word Shock.
shock 1
n.
C. Something that jars the mind or emotions

If Bruschi retiring before the regular season starts doesn't totally jar your mind or emotion than I don't know what would (major injury aside).

OK so I can say what ever I want without argumant so long as I say it is a "off the wall wild card". My "off the wall wild card" is that Brady decides he has everything he needs at home in Giselle and decides to never leave his house again.

Except Bruschi's age and declining skills makes him retiring before the season starts at least a remote possibility. Add to the fact that the guy plays with a lot of pride. There is no signs whatsoever that Brady is ready to hang it up.

Again, Bruschi is 35 years old and declining in skills. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that his skills have slid off the cliff and are virtually gone. It has happened to a lot of Hall of Fame players. Why couldn't it happen to Bruschi?

Bethel Johnson was a freak also(speed), but he sucked in pretty much every other regard

But Chad looks like a perfect football physical specimen. Bethel doesn't. I think that may have something to do with it. Just speculation.

(Bethel had his moments.)

1. That is not the same as being cut.

2. The day that happens I will donate $1000 to the charity of your choice.

1. Who ever said he would be cut? In fact, I clearly stated that Belichick would never cut Bruschi and rather go the Troy Brown route he used last year. If Bruschi leaves the team this year, he will retire. If he leaves the team after this season, he will probably retire rather than be cut even if Belichick wants to cut him. Belichick will allow Bruschi to leave this team with his dignity in tact. He would never cut him outright and give him the opportunity to retire.

2. You better not offer that. It could happen as soon as this year. I personally wouldn't bet on it, but it isn't impossible especially if Seau is resigned and Hobson and Mayo live up to expectations.

Last edited:
Except Bruschi's age and declining skills makes him retiring before the season starts at least a remote possibility. Add to the fact that the guy plays with a lot of pride. There is no signs whatsoever that Brady is ready to hang it up.

Again, Bruschi is 35 years old and declining in skills. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that his skills have slid off the cliff and are virtually gone. It has happened to a lot of Hall of Fame players. Why couldn't it happen to Bruschi?

I think they will keep Bruschi if only to mentor the new linebackers, he is one of the smartest players on the team and his charactor, work ethic and other intangibles are more than enough reasons to eliminate him from the list of cuts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back