Welcome to PatsFans.com

The War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by fleabassist1, Oct 22, 2007.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

"The war on drugs". Thoughts about how to deal/what to do about whats going on with the drug problem in america?

THE FOLLOWING LINK CAN BE DISTURBING TO SOME VIEWERS. PROLLY' NOT APPROPRIATE FOR WORK.

You can go to this link or also on the left hand side click on full episodes and then coley. That one is intense.
    http://www.aetv.com/videos/display.jsp?id=Intervention_fullep_Jill1
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

yeah stop throwing people in jail who need treatment, not punishment. It's the reason why other civilized nations don't have the drug problem we have.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 11 / -27

seen similar stuff on HBO, meth scares the crap out of me.. cheap to make, can be made anywhere(although it can cause problems) and highly addictive, otoh if M was legalized the taxes might reduce the deficit..
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

1 The people want drugs
    2 The government won't enforce the laws
    3 A line has to be drawn in the sand 0n Freedom
    4 The entertainment industry constantly "glorifys" drug use
    5 ILLEGAL AND LEGAL DRUGS ARE BIG BUSINESS $$$$$$$$$$

If all drug users stopped using tomorrow thousands and thousands of jobs would be lost in Law Enforcement and much of the Legal World, the "payoff" the "white envelope" under the table would stop, I have come to believe that this corrupt phony political government doesn't want the "Silly War On Drugs" won.

The Solution:
    LIVE WITH IT

My twisted f-cked up brain found that video to be a little "racist" with all those pretty snow white blondes falling all over the floor, whoever made that video should get out into the Real World, they should visit a housing project "In The Hood"
    :bricks:
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Legalization of drugs might not be the best thing overall, but we have to de-criminalize them. We do it with alcohol, ritalin, tobacco, etc. Why the hell can't we do it with meth, weed, coke, and heroin?

Follw the money. See how Texas has a huge prison industry going. I don't know the numbers, but the prison population is loaded with users who have never seen a moment of treatment. I wonder who lobbies for this "War" on Drugs? Might be the contractors who build and staff prisons. The government already makes a fortune on the drug laws. Why not shift it to treatment, decriminalization, etc. Better yet, get the government out of it altogether. Let private groups deal with addicts. Where is it written that government could ever do this job the right way? We know right now that they're doing it wrong.
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

They don't normally throw people in jail who need treatment. They give you PLENTY of chances. It's not like "Your high, your life sucks... heres jail". What they do is give you one two three type system and pair you up with a parol officer. If you are a repeat offender and don't accept the treatment they throw you in jail... sort of as a lesson. "Don't do it our way, your in jail!"

Yeah, Meth is dangerous but if it was legalized... would more people be like Coley in that link I sent? That's the scary part.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The blond drunk will have to go to great lengths to ruin her life with booze, the Meth guy's on a much quicker path. She's been on her path for 3 years and still doesn't look ragged out. He's been on his for one and is already yanking his own teeth out. Seems like a good reason why one's legal and the other isn't.
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I lean towards making all drugs legal, if only so that we can get a handle on the extent of the crisis and work in more formal ways to develop appropriate treatment. Right now, because so many drugs are illegal, the addict does his/her best to operate outside the radar and as a result is less likely to seek help. The illegal drug trade is very lucrative for all the wrong people, and it's quite apparent that the anti-drug laws have not stemmed the use of drugs. By legalizing drugs we would understand the extent of the problem and be able to openly and easily conduct studies to identify ways to help people quit drugs.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Given how the government RIGHT NOW is dealing with addiction and drug trade, what makes you think they have the potential to do it any other way and do it correctly?
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't see legalization or decriminalization of drugs as a solution here. Something like marijuana I can maybe see, its non-addictive and no worse then alcohol in my opinion. Hard drugs are an entirely different case though. How could we have legal use of meth or crack? Wouldn't this lead more people to give it a try, potentially becoming addicted and a drain on society, not to mention a danger to themselves and others? How would it solve problems with dealers, drug kingpins, and terrorist organizations funded by the drug trade? I agree with policy in which people are deterred from selling drugs with harsh penalties, funds from drug busts are invested in early education for children, and there are economic consequences for countries from which the drugs originate. For example, the US poured billions of $ into Bolivia to try and get poor farmers to grow bananas instead of coca. Well, why would they do that when they can get 10X as much money growing coca? That's an example of bad policy. Instead, we should be tying foreign aid to success of other governments in slowing drug traffic to the US. Make it in their best interest to help us rather than making empty promises while taking payouts from the drug lords. Just my 2 cents.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Crystal Meth user
    [​IMG]

I'm with you here Sd. Some drugs are too dangerous, and making them legal would be very detrimental to society as a whole. Drugs like heroin & meth are extremely addictive and destructive. You just can't have that type of stuff sold publically. I'm more open to legalizing casual stuff like weed, and maybe pills. Drugs who's effects aren't nearly as dangerous. Of course, such legalization would require a sound policy & regulatory process. I view drugs somewhat similarly to guns (edit). (I said somewhat) See, I favor gun control, and I favor the 2nd Amendment. I think people who obey the law, an want a weapon, should have the right to obtain one. I think there should be a reasonable process though. Also, I don't think such weapons should include an RPG or a PKM, just like I don't think legalized drugs should include heroin or crystal meth.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  12. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The problem with alcohol is that it is a very numbing feeling. The alcoholic drinks to numb out their emotions and feelings so that they can cope with problems easier - thus creating a reliance on alcohol. Alcohol may not be as quick as meth, but it still destroys lives all the same... it's still an addiction.

The "Look" of the blond drunk compared to coley is nothing... but the destruction of their families is.

Liver problems, brain problems, etc are caused by alcohol as much as facial features and brain problems are caused by meth.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

It wouldn't be government, it would be universities, pharmaceutical companies, and others who have the skills to research the problem.
  14. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

So if you support legalization of all drugs so that we can get a handle on the extent of the crisis to work for more formal ways to develop appropriate treatment... what about homicide? Should we legalize murder so we can determine how to deal with serial killers? How about rape? Should we legalize it to better understand why these creeps rape people? Embezzlement? I guess legalizing everything would be a good population control...
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

I don't think you can compare personal drug use to homicide or rape, and certainly drugs that induce homicidal tendencies should not be legalized. But, by legalizing drugs, we undercut the corrupt profiteers, ensure that the drugs are not contaminated, and can more easily engage in controlled studies to help people quit. I also don't think legalizing drugs would increase the number of users, provided any taxes from those drugs were used for educational and treatment purposes.
  16. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Heroin, cocaine, Acid, LSD, and even Marijuana have led to homicidal tendencies in some people... after all, drugs effect the brain. There is no way to determine what a drug will do to a specific person.
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Legal or not, if the people want it the people will get it, there will always be a way and there will always be somebody there willing and ready to provide the American people with what they want no matter what society or the law says.

Legalizing drugs won't stop addiction legalizing will take most of the crime out of drug use, it will get rid of the Colombian, Mexican and Gang Banger dealer bastards and it will stop "the deal gone bad" killing.

Instead of being out on the street looking for a fix the junkie will be at home with his bag of Sh!t that he bought in the Wal Mart Pharmacy smiling and studying his belly button, the Slimey Drug Dealer won't be buying $700 sneakers he will be washing cars or mowing lawns.

AMERICA LOVES IT'S DRUGS BILLY BLUE DRESS' BROTHER SAYS "THE PRESIDENT HAD A NOSE LIKE A VACUM CLEANER"
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

:rofl: Oh, stop it, please! You almost had me with that one! You're such a funny guy Patters. :D
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You think someone who doesn't use now would start using if it were legal?
    I don't think so. Of course, any opinion on this question is purely guessing, since there's no prescedent...
    Oh wait! Prohibition!
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's complete and total BULLSH-T!
    Reefer has not one case of homocidal connection to it. In fact it may have prevented a lot of murders. When I was partaking, there were times when I was so ripsh-t that I wanted to smack someone, but I lit up, played Bob Marley, had sex and calmed right down. Maybe it was the sex.

So when will we be criminalizing alcohol, which (I'm pretty sure) causes lots of violence and murder.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007