PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Vince Wilfork situation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenkins is not better than Wilfork. The only NT in the league who might be better than Wilfork doesn't even play the position, because his team's running a 4-3 now, and that's Ngata.

You are battling two fronts. One is a pure-NT. I would agree that Vince is better than Jenkins.

However, if you are looking at a pool of big guys, a healthy Jenkins at DT is a no-brainer. The problem has obviously been his health.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under the Cap: Top Ten Tight Ends

Even so, put Shawn Andrews in Celek's place.

Put either Jordan Gross or Chris Gamble.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under the Cap: Top Ten Cornerbacks
says differently

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under the Cap: Top Ten OLB
says otherwise. Why is it that sometimes you say that it is not a huge contract for a position and sometimes you do??

I got the date wrong. Replace Schaub with Antonio Smith.

Let's remove Tennessee from the list.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Under the Cap: Top Ten Wide Receivers
put White's contract among the Top 10 contracts for a WR.

Then take Minnesota off the list

Denver Broncos Sign LB D.J. Williams To ContractExtension - Mile High Report

Moss and Adalius Thomas were signed to their deals BEFORE the owners opted out of the CBA. Even if I got the date of the Schaub contract wrong that does not change the date of the Moss and Thomas' contracts:)

Players not previously mentioned
Ken Hamlin
Gibril Wilson
DeAngelo Hall
Corey Webster
Brian Urlacher
Ray Lewis
Luis Castello
Tommie Harris
Jason Brown
Chris Snee
Jason Peters
Heath Miller
Roy Williams
Greg Jennings
Westbrook
Brandon Jacobs

I won't argue each point for point because I got my original point across the first time around and you acknowledged it and clarified your position. But I do want to state the info you provided on OLBs is way misleading. They do not include 3-4 OLBs as OLB on the list (they considere them DEs). That takes away 1/4 to 1/3 of the league's OLB and a lot of them are paid more than even the top 4-3 OLBs. I know Demarcus Ware, Adalius Thomas, Joey Porter, Calvin Pace, and Shaun Phillips would easily replace many of the top OLBs from this list (at least until Thomas and Porter are cut or traded).

Rob0729 - Why is it that sometimes you say that it is not a huge contract for a position and sometimes you do??

But I do want to state the info you provided on OLBs is way misleading. They do not include 3-4 OLBs as OLB on the list (they considere them DEs). That takes away 1/4 to 1/3 of the league's OLB and a lot of them are paid more than even the top 4-3 OLBs. I know Demarcus Ware, Adalius Thomas, Joey Porter, Calvin Pace, and Shaun Phillips would easily replace many of the top OLBs from this list (at least until Thomas and Porter are cut or traded).

Let's say that you are correct.

How does that affect what I have said???

Yes, but most of those players are not in the same situation. Let's go through them all:

Oakland Asomugha - Couldn't come to terms with a deal and was an exclusive rights franchise tagged player for one year and then was signed a year later. So the Pats have a long way to go before they get to that point with Wilfork.

NYJ Bart Scott - Signed a 6 year, $48 million which per year is only about $1 million more a year than AD is getting plus he was a free agent. If Wilfork agreed to 6 years, $48 million, he would be resigned right now

Miami Carey - Contract is 6 years, $45 million. Again Wilfork would be resigned if it was the contract he was looking for.

KC Cassel - Singed a six year, $63 million which is not even close to top QB money. He was also a trade.

Philadelphia Celek - Six years, $33 million. Not chump change for a TE, but really not a huge contract

Chicago Cutler - The Bears gambled on him to be their franchise QB of the future. Had to pay him. Still a young QB, not a in his prime NT

Carolina Delhomme - Five years, $42 million isn't exactly a big contract for a QB. Were forced to extend him for cap room because they franchised Peppers and needed cap space to sign rookies and couldn't cut him.

NYG Eli - I am still dumbfounded by that contract. Again a young franchise QB

Buffalo Evans - Four years, $37 million - A good deal for a non-elite WR, but nowhere near the money Wilfork will get.

Pittsburgh Harrison

Indy Hayden - Five years, $43 million is not a huge contract for a CB

Washington Haynesworth - A free agent signed by Daniel Snyder. Enough said. He is probably the reason why Wilfork doesn't have a new deal because of the ridiculousness of his contract

Seattle Hill - Was franchised and then signed to a 6 year, $38 million deal which is not exactly a huge contract and probably more than half of what Wilfork is looking for

Jacksonville MJD

San Diego Rivers - One of the four or five best QBs in the league and still has 10 years ahead of him if not injured

Green Bay Rodgers - Ditto

Houston Schaub - Signed a six year, $48 million contract less than a month after the Pats gave Adalius Thomas his contract. If the Texans get credit for Schaub, the Pats. Moss got his deal after Schaub. They plan to pick up his option, but his deal was done in 2007

San Francisco Staley - Signed a six year, $42 million extension that locks him up for 9 years with the 49ers. He won't be a free agent until 2017.

St. Louis Stephen Jackson - Six years, $44 million. Good RB money, not even close to what Wilfork will get with a hometown discount

Baltimore Suggs - Had to be franchised in both the 2008 and 2009 seasons until they got a deal done in the spring of 2009. This is an argument in favor of tagging Wilfork and letting him play out his deal

New Orleans Vilma - Five years, $34 million. Again a good deal, but chump change compared to Wilfork

Dallas Ware Six year, $78 million. Around the money Wilfork is probably looking for, but Ware might be the best defender in the game

Tennessee Washington - Six years, $27 million. That is not a big deal

Atlanta White 6 year, $48 million Not top dollar for a WR, not close to what Vince would want

Arizona Wilson 5 years, $39 million. Not a huge, but not a small contract. Big for a safety

Minnesota Winfield - 5 years $36 million. Not top dollar for a CB

Tampa Bay Winslow Six year, $36 million. Again, nowhere close to Vince although high for a TE

Denver D.J. Williams - 5 years, $32 million signed the same offseason that the Pats gave Randy Moss 3 years, $27 million

I don't get why teams like Houston and Denver get credit for signing deals in the offseasons of 2007 and 2008 and the Pats don't get credit the same for Randy Moss or Adalius Thomas?

Not to purposely disagree or to split hairs, but some of this is absolute pure speculation (regarding what Wilfork wants or would agree to)

Many here feel that 8-9 million per/yr is not only the maximum of what Wilfork is worth, but also the maximum of what NE would pay. Many also feel that NE is looking for a 4-5 year deal. So I'm not understanding why Bart Scott's deal wouldn't be comparable, or why "Wilfork would be resigned right now" at 6 yrs/48 million (8 million per).

Looking through many threads on the matter, the consensus is that 4 yrs/36 million, or 5 yrs/45 million would be quite fair, and very equal to market value regarding Wilfork.

When stating Lee Evans contract of 4 yrs/37 million, you claim "nowhere near what Wilfork would want." (???) That's over 9 million per year, and once again, not only very much good market value, (as determined by many here) but also very much speculation on your part that it's not fair money. Lee Evans contract is also quite comparable to Randy Moss', one of the elite WR's in the entire game.

Kelvin Hayden's 5 yrs/ 43 million is "not a huge contract for a CB," but pretty damn good considering he's Kelvin Hayden, and making 9 million a year.

LeRoy Hill, Seattle--once again, some pretty major speculation when you state that his 38 million is "probably more than half of what Wilfork is looking for."--So according to you, Wilfork is looking at 70 million +, and if the numbers are anywhere near your projections, will most likely not happen. We all know that NE will pay him a fair, and decent contract. We all can pretty much agree that they will not pay him a ridiculous figure like 70 million +.

Stephen Jackson--6 yrs/ 44 million, you claim "not even close to what Wilfork would get even with a hometown discount." Why??? Many feel that 8 or 9 million per is very fair, if not the absolute maximum--so why wouldn't 5 yrs/ 45 million per fair? Another example of some crazy figures that you are really assuming.

Ware--Dallas, 6 yrs/ 78 million. Again, you claim that it's probably "right around the money Wilfork's looking for." Are you serious? 80 million dollars? That's near 13 million a year! I'm not sure how many would agree that Wilfork is looking for near 13 million a year, let alone double digits at 10.

Atlanta's White is the same as Bart Scott's 6 yrs/ 48 million, or 8 million per year--Miguel already commented that this makes White a top 10 paid WR, and again...many have already stated many times that 8 million per year is very fair, and right at market value. Once again you state "nowhere near what Wilfork would be willing to take." ??? Not sure there are too many in agreement with you.
------------------------

Many have already stated that NE may be somewhat leery of a longer term deal due to Wilfork's weight, family history, and tendancy to keep coming to training camp weighing more than the previous year. I don't want to do too much speculating either, but NE could be looking at a 4-5 year deal. That is what Reiss thinks, and also what many here is various threads have said. Therefore, I can't see why figures such as 4 yrs/ 38 million (9.5 million per), or 5 yrs/ 45 (9 million per) couldn't be viewed as pretty damn good contracts--especially considering he'd be looking at somewhere between 20-25 million guaranteed.

I by no means, am trying to 'call you out,' or starting a pissing match. I appreciate and agree with most of your threads/posts/views, and am not a disrespectful poster. I am simply pointing out some serious speculating on your part regarding what many perceive as quite ridiculous money.

If it will take anything close to what you are saying, then I couldn't personally imagine NE keeping Wilfork.

Last edited:
Let's say that you are correct.

How does that affect what I have said???

I never said it did. I am just stating that it is a misleading list.

i understand every player wants a long term deal but to call 7 /8 mill an yr a slap in the face when the country and the world economy is causing people to be out of jobs is ridiculous in my opinion. If he is that proud and the pats tag him i want see if he sits out the whole season forfeiting the money.

Rob0729 - Why is it that sometimes you say that it is not a huge contract for a position and sometimes you do??

Which ones?

So everyone who complained about how Seymour was all about the money and wasn't a team player like Wilfork... what will you guys think if Wilfork holds out for more money?

I hated the Seymour trade but rationalized it to myself that they had chosen Vince over Richard and I trust their choice. If they don't wrap up Vince now either... well, boo.

Not to purposely disagree or to split hairs, but some of this is absolute pure speculation (regarding what Wilfork wants or would agree to)

Many here feel that 8-9 million per/yr is not only the maximum of what Wilfork is worth, but also the maximum of what NE would pay. Many also feel that NE is looking for a 4-5 year deal. So I'm not understanding why Bart Scott's deal wouldn't be comparable, or why "Wilfork would be resigned right now" at 6 yrs/48 million (8 million per).

If Wilfork was only looking for $8 million a year, he would have been signed. Tommie Harris (ranked fifth for DTs) is getting $8 million a year and he signed his deal 2 years ago. Haynesworth is getting over $14 million a year. Wilfork may not be looking for that much money, but I doubt he will be willing to take over $6 million less a year. Haynesworth screwed up the who salary scale for that position even if no one comes close to it again.

Looking through many threads on the matter, the consensus is that 4 yrs/36 million, or 5 yrs/45 million would be quite fair, and very equal to market value regarding Wilfork.

I wish you were Wilfork's agent, but he will most likely look at the Haynesworth deal and work down from there.

When stating Lee Evans contract of 4 yrs/37 million, you claim "nowhere near what Wilfork would want." (???) That's over 9 million per year, and once again, not only very much good market value, (as determined by many here) but also very much speculation on your part that it's not fair money. Lee Evans contract is also quite comparable to Randy Moss', one of the elite WR's in the entire game.

Kelvin Hayden's 5 yrs/ 43 million is "not a huge contract for a CB," but pretty damn good considering he's Kelvin Hayden, and making 9 million a year.

Good, but not huge. We can argue semantics. Yes, you can argue it is more than Hayden is worth, but it ithe 8th highest per year.

LeRoy Hill, Seattle--once again, some pretty major speculation when you state that his 38 million is "probably more than half of what Wilfork is looking for."--So according to you, Wilfork is looking at 70 million +, and if the numbers are anywhere near your projections, will most likely not happen. We all know that NE will pay him a fair, and decent contract. We all can pretty much agree that they will not pay him a ridiculous figure like 70 million +.

The Pats may not want to pay him that, but he might what he is looking for. Based on the Haynesworth deal, it is exactly what he might think he is worth. But it is more likely less than half, but maybe not much less.

Stephen Jackson--6 yrs/ 44 million, you claim "not even close to what Wilfork would get even with a hometown discount." Why??? Many feel that 8 or 9 million per is very fair, if not the absolute maximum--so why wouldn't 5 yrs/ 45 million per fair? Another example of some crazy figures that you are really assuming.

Based on the Haynesworth deal and what the Pats gave Seymour three years ago ($9.3 million a year), I am expecting him to look for $10-12 million a year. That is significantly higher than the $7.3 million a year that Jackson is getting. I don't care what many think is fair. He is going to look what the other players at similiar positions got around the league and what the Pats gave players like Setymour.

Ware--Dallas, 6 yrs/ 78 million. Again, you claim that it's probably "right around the money Wilfork's looking for." Are you serious? 80 million dollars? That's near 13 million a year! I'm not sure how many would agree that Wilfork is looking for near 13 million a year, let alone double digits at 10.

Again Albert Haynesworth is getting over $14 million. Ware helps inforce that d-linemen are worth seven digits a year. Wilfork may be convinced that a NT is more important than a DE especially in the 3-4.

Atlanta's White is the same as Bart Scott's 6 yrs/ 48 million, or 8 million per year--Miguel already commented that this makes White a top 10 paid WR, and again...many have already stated many times that 8 million per year is very fair, and right at market value. Once again you state "nowhere near what Wilfork would be willing to take." ??? Not sure there are too many in agreement with you.

I personally think Wilfork will not settle for less than $10 million a year, but is probably looking for $12 million. None of us know what he is really looking for. I have market evidence to back up my opinion. I know I have said several times the name Albert Haynesworth, but the guy changed the market for DTs. Seymour also improves his position for a seven figure a year salary.

Many have already stated that NE may be somewhat leery of a longer term deal due to Wilfork's weight, family history, and tendancy to keep coming to training camp weighing more than the previous year. I don't want to do too much speculating either, but NE could be looking at a 4-5 year deal. That is what Reiss thinks, and also what many here is various threads have said. Therefore, I can't see why figures such as 4 yrs/ 38 million (9.5 million per), or 5 yrs/ 45 (9 million per) couldn't be viewed as pretty damn good contracts--especially considering he'd be looking at somewhere between 20-25 million guaranteed.

Again, you can recent market and argue if Wilfork takes anything less than $10 million a year, he is taking a hometown discount. I think $9 million a year is fair, but Wilfork may look at it and ask whether he is really $5 million a year less talented than Albert Haynesworth.

I by no means, am trying to 'call you out,' or starting a pissing match
. I appreciate and agree with most of your threads/posts/views, and am not a disrespectful poster. I am simply pointing out some serious speculating on your part regarding what many perceive as quite ridiculous money.

If it will take anything close to what you are saying, then I couldn't personally imagine NE keeping Wilfork.

I don't take offense. Maybe some of my analysis is off base. The hazards of doing research at work. But I think the mark for to DT right now is seven figures a year because of Haynesworth. It is already that for top DEs. I think that is what Wilfork is looking for and probably why he is so insulted by a $7 million franchise tag number. He might want less. But if I was his agent, I would be looking for at least $10-12 million. I would definitely ask for more than Seymour since Seymour's deal was signed four years ago. I would try to get as close to Haynesworth's numbers as possible. Let's face it. There are several teams out there that would pay Wilfork since a 3-4 NT his quality is tough to find.

This is why I don't think having Wilfork play under his franchise tender is a bad thing.

^^^

Fair enough, Rob.

Since speculating is all anyone can do, it's hard to try and figure out what he's looking for. I can only assume then, you figure the Pats have 2 options then (considering he's looking for too much money IMHO):

1. To franchise him, assuming he'll play one last year, much like Asante did.

2. To franchise him, then trade him before this yr's draft to the highest bidder. I think a 2nd rounder is likely, possibly a 2nd rd + (5th, ex). I know many will think we'd get a 1st but I am not so sure.

Since negotiations are likely to be very far apart, a fair deal is unlikely to be had. I personally, am still under the impression that they'll try to reach a deal under 10 mill/ per. If that cannot be had, I feel they'll tag him, and choose one of these 2 scenarios.

Last edited:
^^^

Fair enough, Rob.

Since speculating is all anyone can do, it's hard to try and figure out what he's looking for. I can only assume then, you figure the Pats have 2 options then (considering he's looking for too much money IMHO):

1. To franchise him, assuming he'll play one last year, much like Asante did.

2. To franchise him, then trade him before this yr's draft to the highest bidder. I think a 2nd rounder is likely, possibly a 2nd rd + (5th, ex). I know many will think we'd get a 1st but I am not so sure.

Since negotiations are likely to be very far apart, a fair deal is unlikely to be had. I personally, am still under the impression that they'll try to reach a deal under 10 mill/ per. If that cannot be had, I feel they'll tag him, and choose one of these 2 scenarios.

1.) There has been several players recently who spent a year as a franchised player and then signed a long term contract the following year. Not every player who is franchised ends bitterly like Asante.

2.) I think the Pats can easily get a first for him. The plain simple fact is there are more and more teams running the 3-4 and only so many good to great NTs to go around. It is such an important position in the 3-4 (part of the reason why I think he will look for seven figures a year) that teams are desperate for one. Right now, off the top ofmy head, the following team are probably in the market for a 3-4 NT - Dolphins, Bills. Jets (they may be worried about the chances of Jenkins making it back), Broncos, Chiefs, and Steelers. I know the AFC East teams have no shot at trading for him, but they might try and drive up the price.

As for how much each side is asking or offering, I don't think any of us have a clue. Wilfork has talked about his value, but never even come close to talking dollars and cents. The Pats haven't said anything. I have given my reasons why, but I don't even really think it is unreasonable for Wilfork to ask for seven figures a year. Granted based on a lot of things, I don't think he will get it in New England. And again, Wilfork could come in asking for $12 million a year and then settling for far less.

Which ones?
KC Cassel - Singed a six year, $63 million which is not even close to top QB money. He was also a trade.

Philadelphia Celek - Six years, $33 million. Not chump change for a TE, but really not a huge contract

Carolina Delhomme - Five years, $42 million isn't exactly a big contract for a QB. Were forced to extend him for cap room because they franchised Peppers and needed cap space to sign rookies and couldn't cut him.

Buffalo Evans - Four years, $37 million - A good deal for a non-elite WR, but nowhere near the money Wilfork will get.

St. Louis Stephen Jackson - Six years, $44 million. Good RB money.

Atlanta White 6 year, $48 million Not top dollar for a WR,

Arizona Wilson 5 years, $39 million. Not a huge, but not a small contract. Big for a safety

Tampa Bay Winslow Six year, $36 million. Again, nowhere close to Vince although high for a TE
[/quote]

It seems to me that you were inconsistent. Sometimes a player had to get a large amount - period - to be considered to have received a big contract. But when they (Cassel, Hayden, Wilson, White) did receive a large contract it was dismissed by you.

Considering Eli Manning, Carson Plamer, and Philip Rivers are making about $5-6 million a year more than Cassel and Cassel isn't in the top ten paid QBs, Cassel isn't making close to top QB money now is here.

It is a good TE contract, it isn't huge compared to all the NFL. Again where is it wrong?

Delhomme probably isn't even in the top 15 highest paid QBs. He has a middle of the pack contract. Where am I wrong?

According to the site you provided, he is the 10th highest paid WR per year. I would say elite is in the top 5. Besides he is a non-elite WR getting just under elite money. If he was an elite WR, you could argue it is a bad deal.

It is close to the top (8th per year), but about half as Asomugha makes a year. I will conceed I overstated the point though.

St. Louis Stephen Jackson - Six years, $44 million. Good RB money.

Now that Larry Johnson was cut, he becomes the highest paid RB which is good RB money. You can argue I should have said top RB money, but I didn't realize he was the highest paid.

Atlanta White 6 year, $48 million Not top dollar for a WR,

White is the 9th highest paid WR in the league per year. I don't consider that top dollar for a WR.

I said it was a big contract for a safety (actually the biggest and probably why the Cards are ready to dump him after one year into the deal). But $7.9 million a year is not huge compared to the rest of the NFL.

He's not listed in the top ten paid CBs per year.

You think Vince is going to settle for $6 million a year? According to Under the Cap, he is the third highest paid TE per TE per year. Again tell me where I said something wrong.

It seems to me that you were inconsistent. Sometimes a player had to get a large amount - period - to be considered to have received a big contract. But when they (Cassel, Hayden, Wilson, White) did receive a large contract it was dismissed by you.

I never dismissed them. I am comparing them to what Wilfork will probably get. Cassel got a great deal for an one year starter, but it is nowhere near what Eli Manning or Philip Rivers got so I was stating fact. Hayden got a great deal for an above average CB, but not a huge contract for the position. Wilson got a great deal for a safety (and I said as much). White got a really good deal for a second tier WR.

Now if you want to discuss them on their own, that is one thing. I am comparing them to what Wilfork might get. Conservative estimates have him at $9 million a year. Less conservative estimates has him over $10 million.

Again, I don't get what I said was wrong. I was factual on Cassel, Hayden, and Wilson. You can argue I down played White and Wilson (since I talked Wilson's contract in general terms rather than just a safety).

1.) There has been several players recently who spent a year as a franchised player and then signed a long term contract the following year. Not every player who is franchised ends bitterly like Asante.

Yes, that is a good point, as it could be possible that the CBA problems may be resolved after this next coming year--although I didn't include that scenario because it is under the assumption/speculation that the 2 sides will be too far apart. (which I'm still not sure I totally agree with)

Besides the CBA implications, I am not sure why else they couldn't agree now---but then could agree in a year.

In my opinion, if they can't get on his page now, it's for a good reason. I couldn't personally see a scenario where they would go through all of this (franchising, etc--knowing he doesn't want that) to suddenly determine him of value at the end of next year. That scenario wouldn't make too much sense to me, but as I said, everyone will have their own opinion.

The only reason I could see them going through such gritty negotiations etc now, only for one side or the other to suddenly 'cave in' or change their minds would be from the Pats standpoint/viewing of the CBA.

I am comparing them to what Wilfork might get.

Why?? Wilfork is not going to compare himself to what a top QB makes. He is going to compare himself to what a top DT makes.

Celek's contract "isn't huge compared to all the NFL". Cassel's is. That is where you are being inconsistent. Cassel's has to be in the top 2, 3 percent of all NFL contracts.

My point is that these deals show that it was possible within the CBA to give Wilfork a big contract.

i can't see wilfork, playing if he gets the TAG. samuel, was only 26 when the pats put the TAG on him and was still playing on he's rookie 4th round pick contract so 7 million was a big upgrad in pay for samuel,

wilfork will be 29 by mid season. and 7 million is not much more then what he made this year. i don't think he's looking for much more then 8 million a year. but what he dose want is that 20 to 25 million in guaranteed money a long term deal will give him.

if the pats TAG him and don't sign him long term or trade him. i think he will sit out untill the deadline to come back and be a FA the next year. im not sure but i think thats about week 8.

IMO if they are not going to give him a long term deal then they should trade him befor the draft or on draft day. the pats don't need a branch #2 type thing where they trade him after the draft and then it's to late to use that pick for help that year. but haveing. three #1's in 2011 is not to bad. just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Why?? Wilfork is not going to compare himself to what a top QB makes. He is going to compare himself to what a top DT makes.

Celek's contract "isn't huge compared to all the NFL". Cassel's is. That is where you are being inconsistent. Cassel's has to be in the top 2, 3 percent of all NFL contracts.

My point is that these deals show that it was possible within the CBA to give Wilfork a big contract.

I was just pointing out that they were different situations. I don't think it is impossible to give Wilfork a new deal with the uncertainty of a new or no CBA. I do question if it is smart unless he takes a value deal, but no one will know the answer to that until there is a new CBA.

i can't see wilfork, playing if he gets the TAG. samuel, was only 26 when the pats put the TAG on him and was still playing on he's rookie 4th round pick contract so 7 million was a big upgrad in pay for samuel,

wilfork will be 29 by mid season. and 7 million is not much more then what he made this year. i don't think he's looking for much more then 8 million a year. but what he dose want is that 20 to 25 million in guaranteed money a long term deal will give him.

if the pats TAG him and don't sign him long term or trade him. i think he will sit out untill the deadline to come back and be a FA the next year. im not sure but i think thats about week 8.

IMO if they are not going to give him a long term deal then they should trade him befor the draft or on draft day. the pats don't need a branch #2 type thing where they trade him after the draft and then it's to late to use that pick for help that year. but haveing. three #1's in 2011 is not to bad. just my 2 cents.

I see about zero chance that Wilfork sits out. In fact, his age makes it more likely he won't since he is closer to the end of his career than Asante is and cannot afford to lose a year. Add to the fact there could be a work stoppage in 2011, he might be almost 31 by the time he gets a new deal and that will significantly hurt his value.

There is a reason the last time a franchised player sat out during the regular season was back in the 90s. Wilfork is not going to give up the $7 million with the prospect of not getting a new deal as late as 2012. Is he really going to gamble that he will have to wait two years for a long term deal and potentially have a much diminished value? I doubt it.

Franchising Wilfork may irrepairably destroy the relationship with him and the team, but there is little to no chance that he won't play in 2010. He can't afford to sit out. Maybe if he was 26, he might do it. But time is ticking for him to get a long term deal and he cannot leave money on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back