Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Veto

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 2, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Okay....so whats next?

I know you all know this already, but I'm boiling it down for the thread discussion:

To keep this war going, the president needs $$$...he can only get that approval for the funds from congress. They want the troops out, and will only approve $$$ if there is a redeployment of our forces in Iraq.

If the democrats funding bill goes through, the troops come home.

If Bush keeps up the veto, the troops get no $$$, and come home.

am I missing something or is Bush in a 'no win' situation here? He needs to sit down and for the first time as President, talk , discuss and have a give and take with congress....

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It'll depend on the political implications of not funding the troops. Bush might have congress by the balls here, it'll depend on who people feel is really withholding the funding.

3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

we are demanding that the Iraqis come to a political reconciliation as a condition for our leaving

What if Bush cannot come to reconciliation at home? And the money runs out for his arrogance? And withdrawal becomes a very dangerous task in and of itself?

Oh the irony. He had better find a way to drop his go-it-alone attitude before he starts undermining our troops.

4. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As I understand the bill, there is all the money he needs and he can even ramp up the force levels if he wants to.

5. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well yes, but he's going to say that a bill with a mandatory withdrawal date is no bill at all, and it'll depend on how many people he manages to convince.

6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Can I get a clarification on something? It's my understanding that only congress has the power to declare war. Is Iraq considered a war by congress? How is Bush able to send troops, money, and equipment if it is not considered a war, and if he doesn't want to stop ever, how can the American people stop him?

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Congress did authorize military action against Iraq at Bush's request. That authorization has not been revoked. Beyond that, the line is murky. No official war has been declared since WWII.

Congress does, however, control the purse. I believe that, and the threat of impeachment, are their only real checks and balances on the executive's commander-in-chief powers.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

Yeah and $24 Billion dollars of pork to buy votes.

9. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Like the Republicants never put pork in their supplementals!!

<ahem>Ted Stevens 50 million dollar bridge to nowhere<ahem>

Oh wait, I forgot, you are the sole source of forum objectivity...excuse me.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Now that its clear that Bush wants a blank check to continue this disaster until he's off building his library and its clear that congress wants some sort standard to judge the Administration's performance, and some hope for the families at home that this quagmire will end; they can work out a spending plan that both sides can agree on and let the voters decide who's trying to serve their interests.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

Yup, I said Repubs don't put pork in bills. :rolleyes:

Is it me, or was this thread about the veto of the spending bill for Iraq? Hmmm....This was a bill that was put together by Harry Reid & Co. right?

12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what an unmitigated disaster, one that is now tied up in red tape...

Gosh George... perhaps 4 years ago when the rest of the World said "no thanks" to helping with your crusade, you might have reflected that it was a bad idea afterall?.... Keep slamming that head against the wall though...