Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Usual Distractions.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, May 3, 2008.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Who has the scariest pastor?

How close was the scary pastor to his candidate?

Who do you want answering that red phone (and will she groggily say "It's for you, Bill"?)

Who is "electable"?

Who will stay home if their candidate is not nominated?

And of course (though it's not in the foreground this year YET...)

Who banged whom when and under what circumstances?
    -------------------------------------------------------

These are the typical questions we see year in and year out. The "red phone" might be a legitimate one, although I personally think whoever answers it least hysterically is the best choice -- which sort of confirms my preference for candidate. If you can guess that preference, fine. This thread isn't about who's best. It's about how dumb we are.

Hey candidates, Hey media, hey dum dum heads on my TV:

For Christ's sake, can you just stick to issues? Just for 10 minutes?

The parameters haven't changed much. We have 2 dems, who are pretty close in their approaches, and 1 Republican, who is predictably to the right of the Dems on most issues.

Can we talk about those?

Can we say: "Here's my proto-foreign-policy. Here's my proto-health-policy. Here's what I say to do about the economy." etc.

They tried to do the health debate for about 5 minutes, and then we got back into scary ministers.

SCREW the scary ministers. They ain't running. For that matter, a minister SHOULD be off the political scale -- they're supposed to be looking for "truth," regardless of how palateable it is.

Elected officials are supposed to recognize that EVERYBODY has his own personal "truth." And taking a look around, it would seem every one of these politicos get that.

Why is it that we're always, repeatedly, mired in distractions and distortions?

It's simple:

- Stay in Iraq or go, during your term?
    - The economy: what are you going to do about it?
    - The mortgage crisis: free market, or intervention?
    - The "demographic time bomb" (aging baby boomers)/SSA: Do you have a plan? What is it?
    - Do you plan to deficit spend or balance the budget? If the latter, how are you going to do it? WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO GIVE UP to do this?

One could add to this list, obviously. But sex ain't on it. Who's-your-pastor ain't on it. You farking church attendance record ain't on it. Your lapel pin ain't on it, your thick ankles or choice of clothing ain't on it.

Do we REALLY want to pick our leaders based on who they screw, what they wear, what church they go to? Or do we want them to see eye-to-eye with us -- or as close as possible -- on the ISSUES?

Right. I know the current campaign has its own kinks. This time the Dems seem to have concocted yet another way to shoot their own foot, in the form of these bizarre primaries that jumped the gun, and this brilliant concept of superdelegates. Those are biggies.

But along the way, why the hell can't we make the election about issues?

PFnV
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

This Racist Pastor thing would be nothing if the Prince, Barack Hussein Obama had risen from his seat on a Sunday morning 15 years ago, walked out of that church and never gone back to listen to any more of that Hateful Racist Anti American Bastards bullsh!t.

The Prince Obama didn't walk out he stayed and listened for "TWENTY YEARS" thats why it is now news, day in and day out, we have a man who wants to be president Of The USA sitting in a so called church listening to a man who he calls "Uncle" and once claimed he "loved him" TRASH the very Country that the Prince now wants to become the leader of, thats why it's news.

Uncle Jeremiah Wright is no f-cking good and Prince Barack Hussein Obama is no better for sitting in his church for TWENTY YEARS listening to his Racist Anti White Anti American Garbage.

F-ck Barack Hussein Obama, who knows what dark secrets this creepy sweet talking man holds in his mind, his supporters and his groupies don't care, they all fawn and gush over him like a new found toy, they wouldn't care if he was the Anti Christ Devil himself and we all know why.

But, he very well may be our next president, the millions of racists that stabbed the Clintons in the back will probably elect him, God help us.

:bricks:
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Your love for the Clintons is touching, Harry. I won't say where it touched me....
    Anything new to add, or will you just continue to cut and paste along with all the other Wright-o-philes and "racist" and "elitist" whiners.

Admit it, Obama's got nothing so you continue to beat the Reverend bongo because that's what you are told to do by the media. You still haven't given one post about Iraq, the economy or the volatile debt bubble we're in.

I remember when Obama went out in front in the beginning and you were one of those out in front saying that you felt sorry for Obama because he won't know what hit him when the Clintons are done with him. What do you think is happening right now? You think the Republicans came up with all this fluff?

Like someone else here has said....If Wright didn't exist, they would have invented him.
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The issue as it pertains to Obama is his poor judgment. He has painted himself as a uniter yet he hasn't been able to unite. He runs on a platform to change the way things are done in Washington yet he does things in Washington that all others do when elected. His problems have mostly been self inflicted which is common because he is a relatively inexperienced politician. His campaign has become distracted and shaky under the pressure brought upon by the run for the nomination. It is likely to become even more shaky if he wins the nomination and has to deal with the scrutiny of running against the Republican machine.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I think he's not doing badly considering his inexperience, the Clintons /Republicrat machine. I'm surprised he's been doing so well, honestly. I thought he was too green to survive the rigors of the primaries.

McCain had an easy road to the nomination. I wonder how he would have done if he were in Obama's position. I'm not voting for either.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

I don't cut and paste.
    I don't like the Clintons
    I don't like Obama
    Maccain is the best of a bad lot (closet liberal)
    I don't intend to vote.

:bricks:
  7. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

LOL, as I said, the usual distractions. I agree, had McCain immediately run away from Hagee the moment he... oh wait you said Obama. Hussein Obama at that. Say that middle name enough and it should scare us all!
    Too bad there's no an apostrophe... O'Bama... now that sounds American enough (now... though a hundred years ago he would have been a Hibernian Papist menace, ready to sell us out to the Whore of Ro... wait now we're back to Hagee...)

As I said, distractions. Ever it was, ever it shall be.

Until, and unless, we wise up.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It sucks, I know...
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

We'll all get the politics we deserve. Right now -- and perhaps forever -- democracy is endangered because we can not, as a people, emphasize the issues for which we are choosing the candidates.

Instead we continue to focus on the tangential "character issues" etc. There are many we can focus on. I responded to an only marginally central post just now, here. It is the condition we are in as a populace, and quite possible is the human condition.

If the human condition is such that we are incapable of holding the issues in our mind, disregarding inconsequential distractions, democracy is doomed as a meaningful system of government.

We laugh at dictatorships because the strongest faction wins. Yet we elect the one that puts on the best "slam" performance based on association and incidental information.

And in neither case does the voter weigh important matters of governance, and through a representative (the candidate), make his voice known on those matters.

Look through our threads. To the extent that they discuss the issues themselves, not the foibles of the candidates, we can think of ourselves as participating in a meaningful democracy.

That's my only point.

PFnV
  10. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I invite you to join this thread.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=82151

Issue orientated. Lets discuss.
  11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Bernie Sanders came to my college when I was a junior and gave a speech about "serious v. non-serious politics." This was exactly what he was talking about. It's not a presidential campaign it's a soap opera. A ratings bonanza of gossip and sensationalism with very little discussion of anything that will actually affect the American people and the rest of the world depending on who is elected. "Who's endorsing who?" "What is Hillary wearing?" "Does McCain have a temper?" "Is Obama distancing himself from his pastor enough?" It's childish and embarrassing. Anyone (on either side) who has an IQ higher than a walnut must be as sick of this crap as I am by now. It's a joke.
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  12. Triple-T

Triple-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

people get the government they deserve and the US has turned into a nation of fcuking morons; too simplistic to understand anything complex and life is complex. Simple distractions are the only thing most people can even understand. (that goes for both sides of the aisle and mind you, that's just another over simplification of our political system.)