PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The use of the term 'We' from ANY football fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intelligence has a lot to do with the issue at hand, considering that you are still attempting to explain that most people posting here do not actually get paid millions of dollars to catch footballs and tackle other dudes.

Like I said... Really?

Like I said... intelligence has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I think it's stupid as well..

Yet 99% of fans of every single professional sports team use the term "WE" when discussing their team.

After all, the Patriots are "OUR" team and when something is ours, using the term WE is the proper possessive pronoun to be used. It would actually be wrong NOT to use the term we.

Last edited:
Your right. I try to use as little as possible because I'm not on the team. I'm only a fan. It does sound a little stupid when people say "we", because their not on the team. But when your a fan, somehow you feel apart of the team and it's hard not to include "we".

If there were no fans, there would be no team. We PAY the team by filling the seats, by merchandise, and watching the games on TV. If we all stopped spending our money on the team, the team would go bankrupt and would have to sell. I have absolutely no problem saying "we" when refering to any sports team I root for. I help pay the bill, so why shouldn't I get to say "we"?

If there were no fans, there would be no team. We PAY the team by filling the seats, by merchandise, and watching the games on TV. If we all stopped spending our money on the team, the team would go bankrupt and would have to sell. I have absolutely no problem saying "we" when refering to any sports team I root for. I help pay the bill, so why shouldn't I get to say "we"?

If we all stopped spending money on Sony products, or GM cars, they'd go out of business too. That doesn't mean you should be saying "we build the best damned stereo in the world!" or "Our Corvette is the world's greatest car" if you don't work for those companies.

Like I said, "WE" is the CORRECT way to refer to OUR team. That applies to all fans of any sports team they support. So if we as Patriots fans were to use the term "they & them" it would be wrong....period.

That is the proper term to use. So if you're not saying "WE", you need to go back to school and study your possessive pronouns.

Debate over.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't know anyone who works for Sony.

None of them come and hand out food at a food shelter around me.

I've never been to a Sony vs. Mitsubishi event where I get to watch the two companies duke it out in a battle of who is more asian.

I don't get to watch people who have a chance to become Sony employees during their tenure in college, to get excited about how well they integrate non-linear functions.

You can dumb being a sports fan down all you want to simply being a business, and you're right. But you being right doesn't make anyone else who sees their relationship with the team they root for as more than simply one of business wrong.

Yet I am pretty sure that you think it does.

Is Sony or Chevy a spectator business? Sports are a spectator business and you need a fan base. Sport's teams really BELONG to the city in which they are based. The Red Sox are BOSTON'S team, it doesn't really matter who owns it or plays for it, it is always going to be BOSTON's team. We live in Boston, we follow the team, we give them lots of money and support, it's OUR team. The same goes for just about any other team sport. The Patriot's are our team. It transcends ownership.

If we all stopped spending money on Sony products, or GM cars, they'd go out of business too. That doesn't mean you should be saying "we build the best damned stereo in the world!" or "Our Corvette is the world's greatest car" if you don't work for those companies.

Cars can't be compared to sports teams, so find another analogy. Sports teams are TEAMS made up of players who are people.

Cars are something you purchase to be used/consumed or collected and you don't root for them. You may like them and you may say you're a fan of a particular care...but all that means is that you're a "Mustang" fanatic.

Automobiles and sports teams are apples & oranges.

I don't know anyone who works for Sony.

None of them come and hand out food at a food shelter around me.

I've never been to a Sony vs. Mitsubishi event where I get to watch the two companies duke it out in a battle of who is more asian.

I don't get to watch people who have a chance to become Sony employees during their tenure in college, to get excited about how well they integrate non-linear functions.

You can dumb being a sports fan down all you want to simply being a business, and you're right. But you being right doesn't make anyone else who sees their relationship with the team they root for as more than simply one of business wrong.

Yet I am pretty sure that you think it does.

Odd, I know plenty of people who work for corporations that go down and work in food kitchens and the like. As for the rest of your argument, it's as I've said: some people get so emotionally invested that they think they've 'earned' some non-existent right to be a part of the 'we'.

But automobiles are made up of a TEAM of PARTS. Don't remember the last time you stood in line to get a muffler's autograph?

"We" had a very simlilar thread on the Niners MB. I have no problem with the use of the words we or us.

Actually, I think even in that case, for a company like Ferrari, most Italians would likely refer to Ferrari's as THEIR car/company, because it is their country's iconic car/company, just like us American's would refer to Football or baseball as OUR sport.

Last edited:
But automobiles are made up of a TEAM of PARTS. Don't remember the last time you stood in line to get a muffler's autograph?

I actually do remember funke...and the damn thing "blew" me off!;)

As for the rest of your argument, it's as I've said: some people get so emotionally invested that they think they've 'earned' some non-existent right to be a part of the 'we'.

Actually, it isn't a non-existent right.

Freedom of speech and expression pretty much guarantee that one. Bone up on the constitution.

Cars can't be compared to sports teams, so find another analogy. Sports teams are TEAMS made up of players who are people.

Cars are something you purchase to be used/consumed or collected and you don't root for them. You may like them and you may say you're a fan of a particular care...but all that means is that you're a "Mustang" fanatic.

Automobiles and sports teams are apples & oranges.

You are nothing but a watcher and purchaser. Those involved in the business, from the owners to the players and media, milk you for every dollar they can. They don't do that because you're a part of the team. They do that because you are the consumer. You can keep claiming to be part of an imaginary "we" all you want. That "we" doesn't exist. When the Red Sox won the World Series, 'Bob' from Plainfield, Connecticut didn't win it too. When the Patriots won the Super Bowl, I didn't win it despite my investment of time and money. I was just a fan.

Odd, I know plenty of people who work for corporations that go down and work in food kitchens and the like. As for the rest of your argument, it's as I've said: some people get so emotionally invested that they think they've 'earned' some non-existent right to be a part of the 'we'.

It's not a non-existent right, it is an "Inherent" right when you are a fan of any team. You ARE part of that we whether you like it or not. this isn't debateable Deus, if you're a Patriots, you are part of "US" and the Patriots are OUR team. Collective possessiveness implies "We"

Get it now?

Now, if you want to say it bothers you when some people say "I'm just taking one game at a time" like they are players and don't want to discuss a game 3 weeks down the road because it may hurt OUR chance at victory...they you're right. That attitude is both ridiculous and stupid.

Last edited:
Actually, it isn't a non-existent right.

Freedom of speech and expression pretty much guarantee that one. Bone up on the constitution.

Actually, speech and expression have nothing to do with it. You could have argued association (and lost under modern jurisprudence), but there's no right to associate with a non-existent group, because the group is non-existent. So, unless you are a part of the Patriots, it's the end of the story.

Last edited:
This is groundbreaking stuff.

Soon we're going to find out Jim from Boylston didn't actually pitch the Red Sox to a World Series victory.

It's not a non-existent right, it is an "Inherent" right when you are a fan of any team. You ARE part of that we whether you like it or not. this isn't debateable Deus, if you're a Patriots, you are part of "US" and the Patriots are OUR team. Collective possessiveness implies "We"

Get it now?

I get it. You're spouting nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes