Welcome to PatsFans.com

The US Nuns subjected to patriarchial and misogynist attitudes of the Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 4, 2012.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Warning: this thread may contain explicit commentary regarding the Catholic Church, and devout catholics may wish to ignore this thread as it may make them think

The New Testament does not place any limits on the roles of women, subsequent to it being "written" the rules were all made by celibate, old men. All the while denying what the bible says about the equality of men and women..

The Vatican is po'ed at those women who gave up their lives for service in the Catholic Church for thinking , the Vatican has essentially appointed a receiver to watch over them and make sure they are thinking correctly and saying the right thing.

American Nuns Fight Back Against Vatican Crackdown - The Daily Beast

One might think that the Archbishop may have better things to do, like figure out how to stop the priests under his jurisdiction from diddling little kids.. which there have been more than a few in Seattle.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Re: The US Nuns subjected to patriarchial and misogynist attitudes of the Catholic Ch

Oooooh! Now you did it, DarrylS! This thread will be closed, as it should, because of the risk of offending tender sentimentalities of the pious flock of the Good Shepherds who govern... er... I mean... "guide" the faithful sheep of the HRCC.

Haven't you learned your lesson? Politics are about politicians only! We can't be mixing up politics with religion! They are two separate things! JEEZ!

MODERATERS! MODERATORS!
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 7 / -10

Re: The US Nuns subjected to patriarchial and misogynist attitudes of the Catholic Ch

Well the heirachy of the Chatolic Church is thousands of years old, and when women decide to become Nuns they know the rules going in.

No one forces anyone to become a nun and indeed the number of women deciding to become has dropped dramatically over the past 100 years.
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

As have priests, coincidentally the incidences of reported pedophiia have increased..

Did Christ say that?? In your world you do not question authority, even if they are wrong..

The reality is when you are young you tend to be ideal, that is when you normally decide to dedicate your lives as nuns do.. but as time goes on and you see the excess, waste, pedophilia and poor decision making your views tend to change..

Nuns are usually integrated amongst the poor, the Catholic Hierarchy is on the opposite end of that spectrum.. thus their views become very different.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

I'm not a Catholic, never was, Organized Religion can be very cruel look what it has done to all those poor "Islamic Women" they're treated like donkeys.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +113 / 7 / -10

Well again, no one forces you to become a nun or priest. As to the pedophile issue the church has been far too tolerant of allowing homosexual priest as we see allmost all the pedophile activity has been perpritrated by homosexual priest.

There is nothing in church doctrine encouraging homosexuality.

I left the church when I left HS. so I don't have a dog in this fight other than to observe that if you choose to be a member of the church join the clergy ect you know the game going in.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Harry Likes This.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

All this is true, but you leave out the part about the systematic coverup of child rape, which is a conspiracy and would be prosecuted under the RICO Act if the perps didn't have so much power and influence over the government...not to mention nearly unlimited legal resources for its defense.

And I believe there are a number of church doctrines that encourage these crimes, not the least of which is the suppression of priest's sexual desire which-I think we can all agree- is unhealthy for anyone. Whether priests are straight or gay, no one should spend their adulthood without getting laid. That's a recipe for disaster if you ask me. I think that if you lifted the contrived celibacy requirements, you would more likely get more "normal" men (and women) to do the work of the clergy. The priviledges that priests used to enjoy -until very recently- as pillars of our society and representatives of God on Earth also gave them a fair amount of cover. And then there's the masterfully devised sacrement of confession, which provides even more cover.

All of this protection being granted with a big fat tax exemption!

Well done, Rome!

Yeah, but other than that, not much in the Doctrine to promote these crimes.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  9. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

I asked a friend of mine what Father Murphy gave him for performing sodomy in the confessional. He said 3 our fathers and 3 hail marys. I said thats funny he gave me two twinkies and a coke.:eek:
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The thing is that the church just might be on the path to allowing marriage for priests and nuns; but for some dumb reason they figure it should take until the year 5000 for it to happen.

In the Air Force, besides during WW2, it takes around 2 decades to design, build and integrate a new airplane into operations. They are amateurs at procrastination compared to the church.
  11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

There is a high profile case in Philadelphia with jury deliberations going on in just such a case of coverup.
    Priest-abuse jury returns to work in Philadelphia - Timesonline.com: State:
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +113 / 7 / -10

This sort of thing has to stop and the Church has to clean it up I was approcahed (along with many classmates) by a male clergy member/teacher while in HS (in the 60's) this sort of thing should happen.

BTW this incident had nothing to do with me leaving the catholic church.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

But yet there is a vigorous defense of the HRCC... all the while the molestation and coverup continues...

Someday a US AG with big testicles will file a RICO suit against the Catholic Church, and then maybe they will wake up...

BTW did you hear about the scandal involving the Pope's Butler in Rome, they locked the Butler up for that one..

The grey haired "celibates" are having a merry old time counting their coins and living the high life..

This whole matter may galvanize many who are dissatisfied with the criminal activity of the church..
  14. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

Whats so amazingly funny is that you run down the church and what you say is mostly true.So what? It has nothing to do with how the church gets treated by the constitution.And the fact that the Church is suing the Obama admin. because the "constitutional law professor" has made out of whole cloth his own laws regarding the constitution and freedom of religion when it comes to BC.
    You are trying to make a apple and orange comparison.
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Let me make a suggestion, as you do not know what you are talking about, is stick to the Warren half truths and lies.. you do much better there. The realm of half truths is a better venue for your type.

The Church gets treated amazingly well by the constitution, but that is a one way street as every week churches across this country get to preach about the wrongs or rights of this country and influence their flocks, even telling them how to vote.

If a commentary about the church is make or a law is invoked, then they squeal like little piggies.. "separation of church and state, separation of church and state, separation of church and state.".. for this they should all get their tax exempt status revoked.

They should all loose their tax exempt status and pay taxes like the rest of us..

BTW 77% of the Catholic Population agree with Obama, but what do they know the white haired, old celibates know better.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have to admit I have always wondered what is it about the Catholic Church that makes so many people who aren't Catholic try and tell them how to practice their faith? :confused:

In the case where laws have been broken then absolutely, we as a society are obligated to step in and punish the guilty. But when we're talking about church doctrine? Why the heck would anyone who wasn't a Catholic give a crap what Catholics do? Are they as obsessed with telling Jewish people of faith how to live? Or Buddhists? :confused: :confused:
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You obviously have very strong feelings about this particular subject, as you so often fly off the handle when it is brought up. For some reason.
  18. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

Would you care to clarify?

As it should be it is the the very first amendment in the constitution its is arguably the basis for reason the constitution was written.
    Your catching on.

Hell make it 100%. its a mute point the catholic church is not a democracy.
    And I don't want any goverment foreign or domestic telling a church what they can or cannot due as to most normal Americans.
    Find your percentage on that fact.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

How do you know who is or is not Catholic???

Assumption?? Guess??

No one is tellling them how to live, just pointing out the hypocrisy of how they operate.. white haired, celibate old men know what is best for nuns and the "faithful". The same white haired, celibate old men who turned their backs when children were molested on their watch..

The patriarchal attitudes and misogyny is obvious, nuns cannot think for themselves, but a white haired, celibate old man can.

Guess you did not read the "explicit warning" on this thread.. it may prove too intense for some.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any thread in this forum about the Catholic Church is nothing but a thinly veiled excuse to bring up the pedophile scandal. I have absolutely no problem with condemning the church for their reprehensible, criminal actions over the past several decades, I just wish people would simply be more honest about it.

The title of this thread is about how US nuns are treated by the church but the OP hijacks his own thread by bringing up the pedophile scandal and, naturally, the thread evolves into a conversation of those lines.

Of course we have to ignore the fact that it is obscenely bigoted to call an entire religion misogynist and as such is a violation of forum rules. I have received infractions for calling Muslims far less. But as we all know, some people in here are more equal than others so they get away with more.