Welcome to PatsFans.com

the US has violated the Geneva Conventions

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 29, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Not a real credible source, but this guy apparently knows a bit about the treaty and some about the handeling of detainees.

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/05/29/petraeus-geneva-conventions/

The head of the US Central Command, General David Petraeus, said Friday that the US had violated the Geneva Conventions in a stunning admission from President Bush’s onetime top general in Iraq that the US may have violated international law.

“When we have taken steps that have violated the Geneva Conventions we rightly have been criticized, so as we move forward I think it’s important to again live our values, to live the agreements that we have made in the international justice arena and to practice those,” Gen. Petraeus said on Fox News Friday afternoon.

oh wait...PETRAEUS!, I know that guy...he IS a credible source...this dude is a General. Thats kind of a big deal.
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Asked about a “ticking time bomb” scenario — which is often employed by torture’s defenders — Petraeus said that interrogation methods approved for use in the Army Field Manual were generally sufficient.

“There might be an exception and that would require extraordinary but very rapid approval to deal with but for the vast majority of the cases our experience… is that the techniques that are in the Army Field Manual that lays out how we treat detainees, how we interrogate them, those techniques work, that’s our experience in this business,” he said.
  3. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If they want the protection of the Geneva Conventions then they need to be an actual military in uniform not some militia running around in civilian clothing while shooting and bombing Allied troops.
  4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Why did he not say it when Bush was in the office?

Did he do this because of Obama's pressure? What does Obama try to accomplish by having him publicly saying it? Bush or Republican was a bad guy?

I hope that Obama understand that it will only make US look worse under the eyes of everybody in the world. This is unbelievable!
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

*cough*

Ibn al-Shaykh [al-Libi]

*cough*

I dare you to look into that person.

I think I'll go with the opinions of the Generals on the ground, instead of a mod in a political forum that doesn't understand the definition of politics.
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The previous administration didn't care about the Constitution. No surprise that they didn't give a sh*t about Geneva Convention either.
  7. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Using logic with a liberal mushbrain, are you serious? Remember like Rush says these dolts are all about symbolism everything anti bush is a phallic symbol of superiority to them. 3 towel heads watered thousands were saved yet they like to vent on the 3 animals. that is symbolism and they live for it.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

"Remember like Rush says"

HA!.....HOly FUKC!!!! Thats funny.....

Rush Limbaugh vs The geneva convention/the constitution/General David Petraeus

gotcha!

(Remeber like RUSH says!!!!! dude thats comedy........HA!)
  9. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Geneva convention doesn't apply to terrorists at all. They never signed it and they aren't in uniform as they're supposed to be. Spies in WWII were summarily shot for that reason. Some of them anyway.

YOu don't know what Petreus was referring to...he may have been referring to a few isolated incidents involving Iraqi millitary soldiers.

Anyway, they're treated pretty well at Gitmo. The average one has gained something like 20 pounds. I can't figure out why they want to close it down and move them into max. security installations. They get a lot more fresh air at Gitmo than they would in 23 hour a day lockdown.

But it's all symbolism to liberals. Close down Gitmo! And move them to a place that's far worse but doesn't have teh "gitmo" name on it. Idiotic.

Anyway, how many guy were waterboarded? 3?
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

he was REFERING TO members of the Iraqi ARMY!

this is part of the dirty little secret, the VP approved of waterboarding of Iraqi army soldiers in custody to create links from Hussein to Bin Laden...

again.....the name of a specific member of that MILITARY is Ibn al-Shaykh [al-Libi]

he was murdered in Egypt.

I understand the logic in the assumption that 'terrorists' arent part of an army or nation....and thus don't fall inot a military category. I GET IT.

But....

We could've done a few different things here. We could've petitioned the UN post 9-11, and categorized a terrorist as a differnt kind of animal. Set forth a few principals of these said EITs and had nations sign off on it. We did nothing of the sort. We relied on a handful of lawyers, and one judge. and most of this evidence of authorization seems to come after the fact.

I guess you need to ask yourself this:

"If this was so legal, why did they draft the authorization of this, why theneed to justify the legality of something that was legal?"

then....

"Why did Lindy England to Jail?
  11. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

who cares.........
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 2 / -9

we shouldn't have any detainees, we should have killed them isn't that what they do to us...:confused:
  13. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

geez, duplicate post
  14. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Nuff said. Waste of bit space.