Welcome to PatsFans.com

The US Army Kill Team... Life is cheap in the war zone

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 28, 2011.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Once again the side effects of war raises its ugly head, you will not find this on Fox News, CNN, Washington Times or Washington Post.. once again the Rolling Stone does a very good expose on how soldiers can get out of control and just kill... guess this will not go very far on winning the hearts and minds of the Afghan People..

"I'm living with war everyday
    I'm living with war in my heart every day
    I'm living with war right now

And when the dawn breaks I see my fellow man
    And on the flat-screen we kill and we're killed again
    And when the night falls, I pray for peace
    Try to remember peace" Neil Young

The Kill Team | Rolling Stone Politics

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Where are all those Bush Era War Protesters, very quiet out there in Hollywood.

Is Beautiful Obama any different than Goofy Bush they both try to walk through locked doors.

Cindy Sheehan, please come back, we need you, bring Sean Penn with you.

Dixie Chicks please sing an Anti War Song.

Why Is Gitmo Still Open?

Is G Bush secretly telling Obama how to be President, do they talk on the phone while we all sleep, it looks that way, how long will it be before Obama goes out in the country somewhere and starts "Clearing Brush"

STOP THE WARS (bush had 2 obama has 3)
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Actually it's been on MSNBC all morning.

What surprises me is that people are surprised. What do we think is going to happen? What do we think that young kids, and that's pretty much what these soldiers are, are going to come up with when so much of the rhetoric they hear from people back home is how dangerous Muslims are, how evil Islam is, how they are trying to overtake our own country, implement Sharia Law in The United States, kill innocent Americans, etc., etc.?

Is it a terrible thing what these soldiers have done? Certainly it is. But why is it surprising? Or even unexpected?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, one of these soldiers has a much respected, much beloved father or uncle or neighbor who thinks and speaks like Harry Boy does? Or he's spent years hearing a respected elder saying, "I'm proud to be an infidel," or one who advocates, loudly, that America should have a Massad, a "kill team," as you will, which is brave enough and smart enough to start taking terrorists out, one by one? Someone who advocates "out-savaging" the savages?

They've spent their formative years hearing debates about whether waterboarding is torture - and the upshot seems to be that it is not. Or even if it is, it's ok in certain situations and in those certain situations, it should even be encouraged. Torture, as a means to an end, is acceptable in their minds. So, once it's acceptable for others, higher up in their government, to do it, it becomes a tool which they, too, feel permitted to use - should circumstances warrant it, of course.....but what doesn't a war zone situation warrant?

We have asked for this, we have encouraged it, and we're going to have to deal with it - and starting by accepting some of the blame for it might be a good starting place.
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Pretty much agree.. also believe that the overall desensitization towards violence/war has had an impact, whether it be through the media or video games.. life has become very cheap in that parallel universe.

Life often imitates "art"...

My nephew is an illustrator for THQ (Kaos Studios) that recently came out with "Homefront", Red Dawn on steroids, and we often have discussions about the video game's impact on this overall desentization...

Of course he disagrees, however I point to a youtube promotion about this games that speaks to the avoidance of "massacre fatigue" in this video game, that makes my point quite well. We do not want kids to become fatigued by killling while playing video games..

Military madness has ruined my country...
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I think it goes even deeper than that although I agree that we are a society which promotes violence at every opportunity.

We punish kindergarden kids who point their thumb and draw back their index finger but we are busy passing laws which make it acceptable for just about anyone to buy a gun, load it to the max and carry it openly into bars, schools and town hall meetings. The pretend gun is no good bt the real gun is not only our constitutional right, but our duty.

We speak, quite cavalierly, about targets, crosshairs and 2nd ammendment remedies. We carry signs reminding people that next time, we'll bring our guns.

Millions of citizens, just like Harry Boy here, rail constantly about taking to the streets, "letting the riots begin," and "fighting to the death," the "liberal pigs," and the mainstream media.

Why shouldn't our soldiers, our kids, feel justified, even patriotic, for doing exactly what old men like Harry Boy seem to want them to do?

We expect them to have the judgement, the good sense, to distinguish a "real" terrorist from an innocent Afghani citizen but we've already established, by our own vocal advocation of profiling at airports, busstops, train stations, that we, ourselves, cannot distinguish one from the other. We've also established, in many cases, that we really don't care much, anyhow. Recently an American Muslim, a citizen, was taken off of an airplane because a stewardess misunderstood her "I've got to go," phone conversation - the general consensus here was , "better safe than sorry," and they bet that it (being suspected for being Muslim) happened to her frequently and that she was probably used to it - or needed to get used to it.

Why do we expect our soldiers, whose entire lives (all 18 - 15 years of it) have been spent being exposed to this kind of attitude, this kind of mindset, to feel or act any differently?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It might all be because of Harry Boy, but then again, maybe some of what they have witnessed in country has had an impact.

Baqubah Update: 05 July 2007

Stuff like that might tend to get one's dander up.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

So in your view massacre of non combatants is ok, because of something that happened in Iraq...
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No, in my mind the only thing that affects people in a war zone is not their own prejudices. They witness some pretty brutal stuff, especially in Iraq and Afghanistan where the battlefields are often civilian areas (because al-Qaeda are cowards who like to hide behind women and children).
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

So you did not read the article, and are just making assumptions...

So you would not have prosecuted these guys???

They were bored, that is why they did it.. they killed a teenager and planted a grenade.
  10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So having a racist uncle leads to boredom which leads to war crimes. Got it.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Are "Muslim Racists" considered Racsist in the eyes of the liberal, I never seem to hear people like the 9/11 killers ever called "Racist"

:confused:
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Great job at deflection, try to read the article before you comment.. they were bored and wanted to kill a haji....
  13. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

In case you haven't noticed, this thread went beyond the story of these two soldiers to a general discussion of what might cause soldiers to behave like this. Try reading your own thread.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Geez did not notice, somehow all of this always gets minimized and justified by the extreeeeeme right ... it is ok for americans to go out and kill young men, stage a scene and everything is a ok..

Nothing to see here folks, life is cheap...

The reality is that our judicial standards will contradict your belief that this was somehow justified, and 3 of the 4 will probably spend the rest of their natural life behind high walls..
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

What would make one human being cut the head off another human being in front of camera's and live TV then show it to the world.

:confused:
  16. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Who was justifying it? Jeebus. I was countering the argument that this was entirely to be expected given our terrible, racist culture. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

The two guys are going to jail (as they should). How does that make it alright?
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Re-read what you wrote in the 6th response in this thread, that sounds like justification to this casual viewer.... could have read it wrong, but sounds like you are trying to say what happened in Iraq, justifies what happened by these guys in Afghanistan..
  18. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No I was saying that some of what the guys in both places have witnessed might drive them to do crazy stuff. I used an example from Iraq, but there are plenty of examples from either.

Life is cheap on both sides of that war zone. Definitely cheaper on the al-Qaeda side.
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

I think you're closer to the truth than darryl and mrs, though not for quite the same reasons. I don't think hearing a story is the kind of thing that causes this. I think it's the constant strain of not knowing when and how you will be under attack along with the difficulty in identifying who the attackers might be.

This is what makes fighting in places like Vietnam and Iraq or Afghanistan different from more "traditional" wars that we fought in the past.

Obviously many things go into it, though, and the kinds of factors all of you have raised could contribute -- and it could be simply that in this case the guys who did it were simply bad guys.
  20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Think of the strain of stuff like that if you don't just hear about it, but witness it.

I know it doesn't fit the narrative, but our soldiers have emotions like the rest of the world.

[​IMG]

Little Girl