Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Untimate in Irony

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I believe that is called karma and she is a b*tch. Research shows that non helmeted motorcyclists have much greater health care costs and injuries, most of it paid for by public funds.
    Here's my proposal for the motorcyclists. If you purchase a high enough level of insurance that you will never be a burden to the public should you be injured (37 times more likely vs auto) then you can go helmetless. Otherwise don't claim freedom from gov't as your right to go without a helmet but expect that same gov't to pay for your care when you get hurt.
    Q&A: Motorcycle helmet use laws
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

We were discussing this yesterday at my 4th of July party. I saw a man rear end a car going perhaps 10-15 mph ... just enough to go over the handlebars and land on his head. Did not think much of it until the next day and i saw that he perished. Why anyone rides a bike with no helmet makes little sense to me.

I lost 2 good friends who died going onto a highway in the spring. A dangerous time of year as many on ramps have that dirt accumulated in that triangle area to the side.

My son has a bike ... I bought his helmet and I had him choose the safest one with no regard to cost. He also wears that armor on his chest and back ... hopefully it's enough if he gets in an accident. many of his friends ride so not riding is not an option he would choose regardless of any speech I could give.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

OTOH let those who ride decide, if you do not have enough common sense to use a helmet, shyt happens.

More laws are never a good answer...
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I lived in Dallas when they repealed the motorcycle helmet law and passed one for riding a bicycle. I refused to wear a helmet while riding my bike. One time a cop gave me a dirty look. If I ever got stopped, I was going to say, "didn't they repeal that". Thus, the cop would have to give me a completely illogical response.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

The Bicycle Helmet:
    No self respecting city street kid would be caught dead wearing one of those silly looking god damn things, they look like something you would have to wear after having brain surgery.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Ack!! It appears that not only do I not know how to spell ULTIMATE I also failed to use spell check before setting it loose on the world.

So sorry.

Even I do not know what an "UNTIMATE" is.

And I generally know everything.

:singing::singing::singing:
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

I just made it out of grammar school and I knew what "Untimate" meant
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

When I was about 19 or 20, a bunch of us were hanging out a friend's house. A call came in for one of them. His father, who liked to go on long bike rides, had been hit by a car. My friend, Steve, remembered noticing that his father's helmet was still in the house (he usually wore it). He lost his father that day.

Not wearing one means that you end up needing brain surgery.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +356 / 1 / -9

I suppose your right it's a whole new world out there some of the things we did on city streets on our bikes would be unheard of today, my grand kids all have those helmets.
  11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

......too many bumps on the head without a helmet?:D
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I'm ashamed to say that's probably at least part of it, yes.

I rode alot when I was younger....and seldom wore a helmet. Only wore one if it was a state law in the state we happened to be riding in. (Living on the border of Il/In was a b!tch....Il. had a helmet law, In. did not.)

I still occasionally ride with my son - and no, neither of us wears a helmet.

Shame on us.

I hate 'em, tho, I just do.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

If you ride a lot with you get used to them....as a matter of fact it feels weird if you don't have one on. I get the same feeling when I don't have my seat belt on. I'm almost on board with the "it's up to the rider" crowd but what stops me is the additional strain it puts on everyone else due to the cost, inconvenience and heartache of the more sever injuries that come with accidents on everyone else. Making laws might be a slippery slope but some sort of deterrent is appropriate I think. In the end I don't think I have a right or liberty to make other people pay for the consequences of my decisions.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

to your point, I liked the earlier suggestion re carrying enough insurance for the enormous healthcare bills that could go along with an incapacitating injury (though that still would require helmet-less riders to be stopped), but that still ignores the mental anguish to a driver who accidentally kills a motorcyclist in an otherwise minor accident b/c the biker opted not to wear a helmet. Maybe that's how it has to be in weighing pros and cons, but it's something people should at least consider.

(I'm not sure what the laws are out here in CA, but I know motorcyclists are allowed to split lanes, and it seems to me that there's almost a sense of entitlement where I would think a sense of caution would be wiser.

Personally, I always liked the idea of a motorcycle, but when I was younger I was smart enough not to trust myself (I like speed), and now that I'm a bit older I don't trust everybody else. Yet I see many motorcyclists who seem to think the road is entirely theirs, and that responsibility for their safety is everybody else's.

I'm thinking of the guys I often see in the huge touring type bikes, who get pissed off when they can't get through traffic b/c the space is too tight, and I'm thinking particularly of the younger guy who flipped me off when I was making a legal lane change in 35 and he came up on my right doing about 60-70 splitting the lanes. I saw him as I was starting to switch and jerked my car back into my original lane, but apparently I shouldn't have even inconvenienced him with that...)
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Yeah, I suppose....I resisted seat belt wearing for a long time, too, but I agree, now I feel funny if I don't buckle up immediately.

I quit riding bikes just about the same time I started wearing a seat belt, tho, so maybe that says something.

Like, opps, "growing up?"

When it comes to expenses connected with bike accidents, I'm still on the fence. Seems you're most likely to just outright die without a helmet and thus save a whole lot of money.

People wearing helmets still get horrendous injuries which can and do incapacitate them for life.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Maybe that should apply that logic to all aspects of life. If you want to be fat, then make sure you have enough insurance so the public never has to pay for you. If you want to play a sport, make sure you have enough insurance incase you get injured doing so. If you want to have a child, make sure you have enough coin to pay for one. If you want to do work on your house, make sure you have enough insurance to cover any injuries you might incur. If you want to go skiing, make sure you got that insurance. If you want to smoke, insurance please. Drink booze, show me your BCBS card first. The list goes on and on and on and on and on....
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Seat belt laws are the ultimate example of the nanny state. Grown adults being told by gubmit what's best for them, or else. I happily wave a giant **** you to all the seat belt mandating nanny lovers. If you like laws like those, then you have no right to whine about any other mandate the gubmit decides to impose on you. Have a nice day! :D
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Why make car manufacturers put them in cars? Why aren't they options instead?
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I dunno....it's kinda hard to argue with the following:

In 2009, the use of seat belts in passenger vehicles saved
    an estimated 12,713 lives. Seat belts have saved over
    72,000 lives during the 5-year period from 2005 through
    2009. These annual lives saved counts, shown in Table
    1, have been produced by NHTSA’s National Center for
    Statistics and Analysis since 1975. The counts are estimates
    that are calculated using the effectiveness of each
    device or law that is mentioned.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811383.pdf
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

the argument isn't about whether seatbelts should be used, though. It's about whether it's the government's place to enforce the behavior.