PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The units' results as a whole: Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Defense

Any time a defense gives up only 14 points, it didn't have a terrible game. But they got no TOs, nor did they suffer from any TOs or other bad field position handed to them by the other units. So it was actually a pretty average result.

Offense

They scored 31 points. They gave away no TOs. They benefitted from no TOs or other great field position plays by the other units. They lost a FG to a botched ST play. They lost a possession to Hobbs' TD. They just had an outstanding, outstanding day.

STs

They scored a TD. They botched a FG. Nothing else happened that was too dramatic. They had a good day overall.

Last edited:
Think the D effort was above average, not excellent, but higher than you portray...

5 sacks
60 yards rushing allowed
4-11 on third downs
167 Net yards Passing..
4.6 Avg. gain per pass play

IMO that is pretty freaking good..

Think the D effort was above average, not excellent, but higher than you portray...

5 sacks
60 yards rushing allowed
4-11 on third downs
167 Net yards Passing..

Wow-I know I've said this many, many, many times-but this Pats group is REALLY amazing when it comes to overcoming adversity.

Come someone explain again how they do it?

Defense

Any time a defense gives up only 14 points, it didn't have a terrible game. But they got no TOs, nor did they suffer from any TOs or other bad field position handed to them by the other units. So it was actually a pretty average result.
The botched FG left them in bad field position. I would argue that holding an offense to 14 points, any way that you can do it, is above average. You could reasonably argue that they kept the offense in the game in the first half.

They shut down the run, did not allow any play greater than 17 yards, and kept constant pressure on the QB. If someone did that to the Pats, I think you'd say they played pretty good defense.

Although the Jets were able to dink and dunk their way down the field on a couple of drives, they were stymied most of the time. A classic Patriots defensive game.

Although the Jets were able to dink and dunk their way down the field on a couple of drives, they were stymied most of the time. A classic Patriots defensive game.

Also a poor gameplan by the Jets. It was way too conservative for a division home game. The only way that gameplan works is if:
1) Your run game gets consistent 4+ yards
2) Your passing game is stellar on 3rd down
3) Your defense and special teams control field position

This was a huge game for the Jets and they depended on effectively having perfect execution (or the Pats falling apart). Their offense and defense actually played well for the 1st half, but you got the feeling the Jets were just hanging on and not aggressively looking for the win. The Hobbs return and Moss TD put an end to that.

Yep, I was overlooking the botched FG. Thanks.

As for the rest -- Breer wrote in his blog, using different words, that the Pats weren't clamping down on the Jets' jugular. By the end of the game, that was no longer true on offense. But it seems to have stayed true, for the most part, on defense.

5 sacks
60 yards rushing allowed
4-11 on third downs
167 Net yards Passing..

BUT allowing the Jets to convert 6 of 9 3rd downs and score TD's 2 of 2 red zone opportunities is "not what we're looking for".

As BB would say, "We did some good things today and some not so good things. Overall, it was a pretty good effort but there is certainly plenty of room for improvement."

I also want to add that the defense was caught a few times switching packages late. One when we got a pentalty for offsides when Junior Seau tried to call a timeout but we had none.

Another small problem is related to the first. It is wasting timeouts in the first half on things that they didn't have to. I know that it ended up ok, but against teams like Chargers or Colts, we can hopefully get it together since every timeout and every poccession will be more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes