Welcome to PatsFans.com

The United States: A Military-Industrial Complex (Eisenhower's fears were right)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Apr 7, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

excerpt from a Harpers Magazine article:
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article16260.htm

"The flow of the nation’s wealth – from taxpayers and (increasingly) foreign lenders through the government to military contractors and (decreasingly) back to the taxpayers – has created a form of “military Keynesianism,” in which the domestic economy requires sustained military ambition in order to avoid recession or collapse.

Sustained military ambition is inherently anti-republican, in that it tends to concentrate power in the executive branch. In the United States, President George W. Bush subscribes to an esoteric interpretation of the Constitution called the theory of the unitary executive, which holds, in effect, that the president has the authority to ignore the separation of powers written into the Constitution, creating a feedback loop in which permanent war and the unitary presidency are mutually reinforcing.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. We annually spend on military security alone more than the net income of all United States corporations. "

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Forget about that nonsense...

Regarding the kidnapping of 15 British sailors/marines... are we still in "wait and see" mode or are you going to be man enough to admit you were wrong when you said it was orchestrated by the United States...?

Come on now... we're waiting....

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so you can't debate the topic presented, but instead you have to selfishly hijack a completely unrelated thread and attack Maverick? get over yourself, and go away, Bunker...

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That would explain the insane desire of some Americans to see a third Bush term or at least the continuation of the right-wing, hawkish, big-spending neocon regime that Romney makes himself out to be. It's for this reason and this alone that I lean toward a vote for Obama at this time.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Like you would normally vote republican otherwise.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

The reality of this whole matter is that most of what our gov't does is about security, either reacting to it or preparing for it. I know how many terrorist attacks we have prevented, and our h2o supply has not been contaminated because of these efforts yada yada yada. IMO we have lost our way, and this Iraqi war is a classic example, with the advent of well funded(by our gov't) mercenary forces does not bode well for the future. At one time never would think about a Coup de'tat in this country, but now am less convinced. The needs of the military is driving the economy, and we have gone overboard on spending in this area... need to take a long view of this and try to figure out what are our actual needs.. too much is spent on weapons that have no bearing and are obsolete before they hit the battle ground.

7. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Open mouth...insert foot.

I voted for Reagan twice and Bush I once. I've voted Libertarian since then but I am tired of losing.:(

Ron Paul has my vote now, but I doubt he will stay in the race. Of all the major candidates remaining, Rudi, McCain, Romney, Clinton, and Obama, Obama's the only one who hasn't proven he's not full of sh-t.
    Care to debate that?

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

If it wasn't so dangerous I would almost LIKE to see Clean Obama elected as President, can you imagine the sideshow and looney sh!t that America would go through for the next four years, the Muslims would be coming through the cracks in your walls, 3/4 of your pay would go to Crazy Taxes, Streisand & Whoopi Goldberg would be sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom again, the "Clooney War" would start and American Troops would be dying over in Africa, the Democrats would be telling us what a "Great War" this was and how we should all "Support America", if we went to war in Africa Cindy Sh!than would put a Flag on her car, if we went to war in Africa Hollywood would hold a "Giant Concert" the Wife Swappers would all line up on the stage and sing "God Bless America" while their own people in Israel were having their Guts blown open by 9yr old suicide bombers, what a beautiful war this would be, we would be "Doing Good", the democrat way.

Then, some warm spring morning Obooma and Sean Penn would be sipping their Starbucks Coffee in the Rose Garden, off in the distance an airliner would be approaching, Sean would say to Obooma, "gee Obie, that plane is getting awful loud" Obooma would reply, "it's probably one of our military planes headed over to Africa with another load of condoms, they like to Salute me as they pass over" Sean said, "oh how wonderful Mr President".

Aboard the Airliner Americans were yelling for their God and sh!tting in their pants, several Dark Skinned Middle Eastern Looking Men were running back and forth on the plane with butcher knives and box cutters, President Obooma had ordered the locks on all American Airliner c-ckpit doors to be removed, he said "they were offensive" the savages were screaming "PRAISE ALLAH, PRAISE ALLAH, DEATH TO THE INFEDEL AMERICANS"

At the last minute down in the Rose Garden the birds were singing, Sean Penn the movie star said to Obooma, "it's a great day for the American people Mr President to have you leading the country, you are truly wonderful, I love you Mr president, God Bless America" Obooma smiled and replied, "I think I will raise taxes this year and give all the homeless people a new house and a brand new Volvo", Mr Penn said "what, I can't hear you Mr President that plane with the load of condoms for the wonderful Africans is getting louder".

Then, President Obooma, The Movie Star, Washignton DC, Maryland and millions of Bush Hating sore losers VANISHED from the face of the earth.

Thousands of miles away funny looking men with beards wearing towels on their heads and women with their faces covered wearing black sheets came running out of their donkey stalls and danced in the street.
    God Is Great.
    :bricks:

9. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Jeez, Boy.
    What did Obama do to you?
    I just think he'll be the only one left who hasn't screwed someone over. And with Ron Paul out, I can't vote for anyone else.
    Who would you vote for between CLinton, Guiliani, McCain, Obama, and Romney?

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ok, I knew I was risking that possibility. I admit it. I was wrong. But let me ask you. Would you still vote for Regan now or has your political philosophy changed?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  11. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typical attack dog liberal now backpedaling as fast as he can.

And I'm as conservative as they come but I wouldnt dare subjugate the constitution and have Bush serve a third term. Only Democrats do that right FDR?

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

My political philosophy has not changed. The Republican party (and the Democrats, too) has changed. Reagan snowed me and America. He did not go as far as Bush I, II or Clinton in violating international and American traditions, though. He at least had the brains to get the hell out when he had to. Given who he ran against, I'd vote for him again holding my nose. I'm a Goldwater conservative not tied to one party or another. I just want an honest president...that's all. Rudi's not qualified and has no moral standing IMO. McCain's too much of a panderer for the party, Romney will do or say ANYTHING to get elected and so will Clinton. Obama is the closest fit to what I'm looking for outside of Paul. They are very different politically, but they are both good men and will be straight with us as far as I can tell. That my opinion.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What? Please explain:confused:

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

Guiliani (holding nose)

Thompson if he runs I would put his sign on my Lawn.

Obama is a little kid that the politically correct liberals are fawning all over because he has "dark skin" it makes them feel good to tell everybody they support him, America's enemy would sh!t all over him.

Obama actually believes all the crap that the Hollywood wife swappers say about him, the last thing America needs in a time of war is a cute politically correct, token president, also, his ears are to big for him to be a President.

America needs a president that will fight to keep the Muslim enemy out of America.

15. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Amen, brother.
    So, in otherwords, he is Deval Patrick on a national scale.
    I hear John Rambo is making a comeback :D

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I know it sucks to let the facts get in the way of a good anecdote; but the Constitutional Amendment came after FDR's term. It didn't even apply to Truman(his successor) because he was specifically exempted from it. Technically he could still be President today according to the Constitution. It would be tough for his political handlers to get around him being dead and all, but I'm referring only to restrictions placed in the Constitution.

17. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Find for me all these "righties" that want Bush to serve a third term.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

I would laugh my a$s off if it happened, Imagine all those sore loser haters having to run for "Their Shrinks" again like they did after the war hero kerry lost to "a moron" :singing:

Eight years is enough for any one person to hold that job, but the bad thing about this 2008 election is that is very scary to even imagine that Obama or Hillary could ever become the President of the Untied States, Jesus H Christ.
    :bricks:

19. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I would highly recommend a movie called "Why We Fight" on this very subject. There are some very surprising appearances by well known figures and what they have to say, is shocking.

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There was actually at least one post I can recall (but can't reference because I can't remember) and I hear it all the time from Bushies I know. They're bummin because of the possible suck-cessors they have to choose from.