PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The United Football League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Press Releases - United Football League (UFL) - Where the Future Stars Come to Play!
UFL Announces Games To Be Televised Live on VERSUS
Press Release - March 09, 2009

The United Football League announced that VERSUS, a national sports network in more than 75 million homes, will air the League’s “Premiere” season beginning in October 2009. VERSUS will air live weekly games beginning on Thursday, October 8, and continuing through the Championship Game scheduled to air Thanksgiving weekend. Each live telecast will be approximately three hours and all games will be produced and available in HD. The complete schedule will be announced this summer.

“The UFL’s business model is to align with companies who are willing to grow with us and embrace the UFL’s vision of innovation, accessibility, excitement and entertainment,” said Commissioner Michael Huyghue. “As a national sports network with more than 75 million viewers, we felt there was no better network to showcase the UFL’s “Premiere” season. The UFL is very excited about many of the enhancements our television broadcast will have during the season. Airing our events on VERSUS will allow us the opportunity to provide our at-home audience with a true inside look on game day.”

In its “Premiere” year, the UFL will host teams in Las Vegas, New York, Orlando and San Francisco. There are also plans to play additional games in Hartford and Los Angeles. The season will conclude with a Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas. On Wednesday, the UFL will announce its four coaches at a press conference in San Francisco. League officials are in final negotiations with various stadiums and these agreements will be announced as they are completed.

I wonder how this will play out in the Comcast (owners of Versus, who will televise UFL) versus (ironic, isn't it?) NFL (who can't get NFLN on Comcast) legal battle.

And does this mean the Arena League did not just take a one-year nap, but is officially deceased?

I know I won't be watching it, since I don't have that station...

I have it but I won't watch it. This just sounds like the XFL version 2.0.

I know I won't be watching it, since I don't have that station...

And just to tie this in . . . .

Tomlin and United Football League Commissioner Michael Huyghue identified New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel as a player who would have been a perfect fit for their respective leagues before rising to stardom while filling in for an injured Tom Brady in the 2008 season.

Cassel, 26, had not started a game since high school and would have likely remained on the Patriots' bench if it weren't for Brady's misfortune to go down with a season-ending knee injury in September.

Had Cassel had a chance to shine in another professional league or a developmental league, he could have paved his own way to a starting role in the NFL, Tomlin and Huyghue said.

Last edited:
I have it but I won't watch it. This just sounds like the XFL version 2.0.

Agreed. Whoever thinks we need another pro football league is delusional. Nobody's ever succeeded against the NFL.

Tomlin and United Football League Commissioner Michael Huyghue identified New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel as a player who would have been a perfect fit for their respective leagues before rising to stardom while filling in for an injured Tom Brady in the 2008 season.

Cassel, 26, had not started a game since high school and would have likely remained on the Patriots' bench if it weren't for Brady's misfortune to go down with a season-ending knee injury in September.

Had Cassel had a chance to shine in another professional league or a developmental league, he could have paved his own way to a starting role in the NFL, Tomlin and Huyghue said.
And just to tie this in . . . .

Ha Ha!

Yeah, players would rather make $20k playing in a minor league than being paid $500k to be a backup in the NFL, where they might get a Cassel-type chance to be set for life.

Got to love that pretzel logic.

I gotta admit, I'll watch. I want some damn football on TV. I'll even watch the scrubs play.

Agreed. Whoever thinks we need another pro football league is delusional. Nobody's ever succeeded against the NFL.
Please tell me that comment was a joke, or just to see if anybody was paying attention?

Please tell me that comment was a joke, or just to see if anybody was paying attention?

Look how popular college football is and what are college players but scrubs by NFL standards?

An alternate league, if done right, could be an awesome thing.

So the NFL doesn't have any sort of copyright to just the sport of football in general?

Look how popular college football is and what are college players but scrubs by NFL standards?

My comment was in response to "Nobody's ever succeeded against the NFL"

Reason I said that was that this is a forum for Patriots fans ... a team that started in this thing called the American Football League.

Just found that a bit ironic.

my comment was in response to "nobody's ever succeeded against the nfl"

reason i said that was that this is a forum for patriots fans ... A team that started in this thing called the american football league.

:p

Last edited:
I wonder how this will play out in the Comcast (owners of Versus, who will televise UFL) versus (ironic, isn't it?) NFL (who can't get NFLN on Comcast) legal battle.

And does this mean the Arena League did not just take a one-year nap, but is officially deceased?
NFLN is on Comcast. You just have to pay $5 per month for it.

Comcast is also ripped because the NFL hasn't given them rights to Sunday Ticket.

J D Sal

My comment was in response to "Nobody's ever succeeded against the NFL"

Reason I said that was that this is a forum for Patriots fans ... a team that started in this thing called the American Football League.

It is ironic.....I totally agree...although I think the NFL in 1960 was a lot different than the NFL of today...and with economic conditions as they are starting ANOTHER league is a bit out of touch..although...with lower prices and such...could be a surprise..What I think would be successful is some sort of feeder league to the NFL...as opposed to competition with it..been there..done that WFL, USFL, XFL....and those had money behind it in a different time.

So the NFL doesn't have any sort of copyright to just the sport of football in general?

There are some things that cannot be copyrighted. As I recall, rules of games (and sports) are one of them. So are songs <30 seconds long (which is why the Jeopardy! think music is 30 seconds long).

When will the UFL have it's first draft? How many college players will

it entice to join the new league? There is a set amount each NFL team

has to sign draft choices and UDFAs. Will the new league be able to

offer late round choices more than the NFL?

Plus many college players get paid over $20k per year on the wink...wink.
DW Toys

I like the idea of non-collegiates being able to tryout/walk on. The next Kurt Warner is out there somewhere bagging groceries.

BTW, I'm serious. The current recruiting system is weak-kneed. Recruits would be wise to keep an eye on the CFL and Canadian UNI's as well. Between that and walk-on's we could find a lot of great players.

Nick Kaczur went to school in the US largely to aim for the NFL instead of CFL. Be nice if the recruiting worked better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes