PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The underrated impact of Rodney Harrsion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. Thought you were going on your Pats LB suck rant again..;)

that's besides the point (because they do)

bruschi was the best player on the pats defense in 2003 and 2004....his 2003 season could be amongst the best ever for an ILB

that's besides the point (because they do)

bruschi was the best player on the pats defense in 2003 and 2004....his 2003 season could be amongst the best ever for an ILB

I'll take Sey in 2003. That was his best year IMO. RH, Law, and Bru are 2a & 2b and 2c in 03.

I agree, Bru in 2004, along w/ RH were the best on that team

The prevailing wisdom is that the Patriots "dynasty" spanned the Super Bowl seasons of 2001, 2003 and 2004, and that since the end of 2004, the team's performance has generally deteriorated. And there's a good bit of truth to this viewpoint. After all, the results are the results and there hasn't been a parade around here since February 2005.

Oh come on, that's a classic Red Herring argument.

I completely disagree that the prevailing wisdom is that the team has deteriorated since SB XXXIX. OK, maybe among the bandwagoners who discovered the team in January 2002, but not among fans who remember that they came within a few plays of returning to a very winnable SB in 06/07 and, oh by the way, delivered a perfect regular season and came within a freak play of delivering a perfect season in 07/08. In 08/09 they nearly made the Playoffs with a QB who hadn't started since HS and 09/10 was what it was.

If you want to have a "Praise Rodney" thread, that's great and I'd be happy to contribute, but I hardly think either his impact or the post 04/05 teams are underestimated by anyone who knows anything about football or the Pats.

Oh come on, that's a classic Red Herring argument.

I completely disagree that the prevailing wisdom is that the team has deteriorated since SB XXXIX. OK, maybe among the bandwagoners who discovered the team in January 2002, but not among fans who remember that they came within a few plays of returning to a very winnable SB in 06/07 and, oh by the way, delivered a perfect regular season and came within a freak play of delivering a perfect season in 07/08. In 08/09 they nearly made the Playoffs with a QB who hadn't started since HS and 09/10 was what it was.

If you want to have a "Praise Rodney" thread, that's great and I'd be happy to contribute, but I hardly think either his impact or the post 04/05 teams are underestimated by anyone who knows anything about football or the Pats.

I was just trying to acknowledge that some people feel that way. I did go on to state that the Patriots played their best football between 2003-07.

I do think that Rodney's contribution is undervalued to the extent that I doubt that many are aware that the Patriots were 50(!) games over .500 in the 58 games that Rodney played in that time period. That's an incredible statistic.

But I thought Rodney was washed up after 2002? Isn't that what San Diego said? :D

Thank goodness they cut him. Rodney was a huge part of our success and we haven't replaced all of the things he did for us.

I feel that Dawkins and Polamalu are similar in making their teams better just by being there.
We don't have one of those anymore, and that sux.

He was my favorite player on the Pats defense over the past decade. He was a game changer. Had a knack for the big play, laid the wood like few others, and was so focused and determined to win. Also a great leader who wasn't afraid to speak up and challenge the team. Always played with a chip on his shoulder like he had something to prove.

I was very sad when he finally called it quits, and I had tears in my eyes when he was carted off the field against Denver and he was waving to the fans. Knew it was probably the end, and it was very emotional.

Me too. Rodney was one of the best things that ever happened to this team and I hope he knows how much he's missed both on the field and in the lockeroom. He was perfect for this team and the team and franchise was perfect for him.

What I remember most about him was that you could count on him.

I was just trying to acknowledge that some people feel that way. I did go on to state that the Patriots played their best football between 2003-07.

I do think that Rodney's contribution is undervalued to the extent that I doubt that many are aware that the Patriots were 50(!) games over .500 in the 58 games that Rodney played in that time period. That's an incredible statistic.

While I agree w/ you 110% on Harrison's impact on the Pat's D in '03 & '04, I don't think his value is unappreciated at all. I felt like Bryan Cox was the difference maker on the Pat's D when they won in '01 as well. A rock solid defender that will kick his own teammate in the teeth to make sure they're doing their job and no one questioned him.

In the 30 years or so that I have followed the Pats Rodney is my favorite Patriot, Period. My favorite football player for that matter. Met him once. He was so nice to my kids. Seemed to be just a genuinely nice down to earth human being to me, unlike some others I could mention.

I don't for one second think his impact to this team has been underestimated but that could be personal feelings getting in the way.

The prevailing wisdom is that the Patriots "dynasty" spanned the Super Bowl seasons of 2001, 2003 and 2004, and that since the end of 2004, the team's performance has generally deteriorated. And there's a good bit of truth to this viewpoint. After all, the results are the results and there hasn't been a parade around here since February 2005.

Another view is that the Patriots played their best, most consistent football from 2003 through 2007. Prior to 2003, New England had never won as many as 12 games in any regular season. In the five seasons beginning in 2003, they did it four times. During this time, the Patriots were 66-14 in the regular season and 11-3 in the play-offs, an astounding 77-17 (.819) overall. That's five years of dominant play by any conceivable measure.

Rodney Harrison was signed in 2003. The team's worst two years during the 2003-07 stretch were 2005 and 2006. What do those years have in common? Both were seasons that Rodney missed substantial portions of (including all play-off games) due to injuries.

Here's the amazing part. The team's record during 2003-07 with Harrison in the lineup was an unheard of 58-8 (.879)! Without Rodney, 19-9 (.679). And only once did the Patriots lose a post season game (8-1 in the play-offs) with Rodney in uniform (ugh - sorry to even bring this up).

Coincidence or cause and effect? There's no way to be entirely sure, but what's clear is that the Patriots were a tougher, smarter and much more intense football team whenever #37 suited up. The numbers suggest that Harrison was a bigger part of New England's success than many realize.

thanks for posting your thoughts on Rodney Harrison. Altho you can't always create 100% of the success or lack of success of a team when a player is in and out of the line up, Rodney did help a great deal and was sorely missed in many regular season games and playoff games in 05-06. And he did have a bunhc to do with the extra wins the Pats had with him in the line up. And I always said, up until the game not to be mentioned, is that we never lost in the PO with Rodney. I really really really wished we had him in '06, I think we beat teh colts in 2006. In 2005 against Denver probably still would of lost, but would of love to have gotten that 4th ring in '06 or even '07, or both :D.

but the '06 I think the SB would of been doable had we not lost Rodney to that punk tenn players' crack back block at the end of the regular season. . .

Prevailing Wisdom != "Some people feel that way".

You were being a sensationalist troll.

You were being a sensationalist troll.

Assuming that's a serious comment, I would say that it's uncalled for. I don't post all that frequently here, but when I do, I try to communicate clearly and respectfully. In trying to acknolwledge that there are divergent points of view, I guess I buried the main point of what I was trying to say. My bad ...

Maybe someone else had noted 58-8; I don't remember seeing it. I think Harrison was a terrific player and feel strongly (as many others have pointed out here) that his contributions went way beyond his physical ability and his play on the field.

What 58-8 says is that however good you felt #37 was, he was actually better. That's the point.

Last edited:
Rodney was unique in that winning not only mattered to him, it was the only thing that mattered and it didn't matter how many times he won he still was determined to win again and again. Brady is similarly wired but he has to be more of a diplomat because of the position he occupies. One of the first things Rodney ever did after landing here was nearly decapitate Bingo in practice... And I don't think he ever apologized...He knew practicing mattered. He was all focus. And tough as nails. That tackle he made with the broken arm...And when they all had their cry baby *********** after Milloy was cut, Rodney was the guy who confronted them on Monday and asked them if they had gotten it out of their system or were they going to cry and moan all season...Rodney never sugar coated anything...He didn't play football to make a living. He played football because he loved it and it mattered. I remember Bill seeking him out after the 2003 AFCC and hugging him and telling him so glad we got you...

Brady is nowhere near the leader Rodney was for us. That was proven last year.

Completely unfounded. Explain.

The Adalius Thomas fiasco wouldn't have happened if Rodney was here. Brady should have stepped in and dealt with that issue internally.

BTW- about 3 years ago my GF asked me if I wanted a Real Pats Jersey, and if so what player, I said I didn't care about the Jersey, but if she were to get me one I wanted it to be a Harrison Jersey...funny thing is I never thought about getting a jersey, but I didn't even waste 2 seconds thinking about it.

Rodney was Badass, and he is missed by the Team AND the Fans.

The Adalius Thomas fiasco wouldn't have happened if Rodney was here. Brady should have stepped in and dealt with that issue internally.

Oh. So you must have inside info. and was in on team meetings and daily happenings in the locker room?:rolleyes:

It was obvious to the trained and untrained eye when Rodney was on the field and when he was not.

Oh. So you must have inside info. and was in on team meetings and daily happenings in the locker room?:rolleyes:

Unless you missed last year, leadership issues were brought up constantly.

Right out of the horses mouth, Brady after the Raven's game:

"The reality is obviously the leadership on our team wasn't where it needed to be," Brady said. "I'm speaking for myself. I was one of those leaders that certainly needs to do a better job in getting everybody on the same page and filling the void of those key players."

This is inside information, so make sure you keep this link top secret;)

Patriots may have taken direct hit with loss of many leaders - The Boston Globe

Last edited:
Unless you missed last year, leadership issues were brought up constantly.

Right out of the horses mouth, Brady after the Raven's game:

This is inside information, so make sure you keep this link top secret;)

Patriots may have taken direct hit with loss of many leaders - The Boston Globe

I read that article, and quite honestly, what else is Brady supposed to say? Do you think he would throw anyone under the bus except himself, point fingers, and make everything that happens in the locker room privy for the media? Brady probably had enough on his hands keeping his finger on the pulse of his offense after losing McDaniels, coming back from a devastating knee injury, and trying to figure out who the defensive leaders would be in the absence of Bruschi, Seymour, and Vrabel. He was probably counting on someone like A. Thomas, but we all know how that turned out. Call me a homer, but I believe the Pats are gonna have some players stepping up more this year on D.

PS - Your secret link is still safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back