PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heatster pre-Combine mock, 2/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned Pegues a few times over the past few months. I like what he brings. In fact, Draft Scout compares him to Eugene Wilson, not surprisingly. But just look at what's attractive for the Pats in his scouting report:

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Positives: Centerfielder who reads the quarterback and anticipates receiver's routes well. ... Undercuts routes over the middle. ... Excellent hands on interceptions or pass breakups, and reverses the field with good running instincts. ... Willing to take on blocks when down by the line of scrimmage and can get off to make plays on the ball. ... Holds up bigger running backs and keeps his feet moving to stop forward progress. ... Catches punts easily when in position, and can make the first defender miss and get the corner. ... Tough running through traffic.

Negatives: Short with adequate bulk and strength. ... Not an explosive tackler or a fierce hitter, more of a catch-and-drag guy. ... Looks like a corner, and might be tried there in a zone system. ... Will struggle in downfield coverage against larger receivers, despite a good vertical leap, and he won't win many jump balls. ... Not much of a threat to blitz. ... Does not get to every punt and makes questionable decisions when fielding punts. ... Ball security is an issue. ... Will dance instead of getting upfield.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sounds like a versatile, Ed Reed-style safety the Pats have been looking for. He's not an in-the-box guy, but I feel Meriweather can be that type of player (or a Tank Williams for more of a heavy package). Versatile too. There are some character problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes