PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heatster 1st + 1 mock draft 1.0, March 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just going to throw this out there in this thread because of the players you have the pats drafting.....Could we possibly see the scenario of drafting Watt at #17....Then using pick #28 and another pick to move up to say #22 or #23 and grabbing Pouncey....Then using #33 on Watkins......I would love this as we would get our DE and grab 2 possible stud O-lineman (1 a replacement for Koppen in a year at C) and then we could still grab a Brooks Reed or another OLB (pass rusher) in the 2nd round or even later.....I just feel with the uncertainty of our O-line and just not needing a roster overhaul to win a super bowl that this might be a great option to protect Brady and give us beef up front in the running game.....This would of course would be a scenario if Mankins didn't resign.....Any thoughts on something like this happening?

I am just going to throw this out there in this thread because of the players you have the pats drafting.....Could we possibly see the scenario of drafting Watt at #17....Then using pick #28 and another pick to move up to say #22 or #23 and grabbing Pouncey....Then using #33 on Watkins......I would love this as we would get our DE and grab 2 possible stud O-lineman (1 a replacement for Koppen in a year at C) and then we could still grab a Brooks Reed or another OLB (pass rusher) in the 2nd round or even later.....I just feel with the uncertainty of our O-line and just not needing a roster overhaul to win a super bowl that this might be a great option to protect Brady and give us beef up front in the running game.....This would of course would be a scenario if Mankins didn't resign.....Any thoughts on something like this happening?

I was actually thinking about that same scenario, only using the 17 on an OL, then moving back up to 25 (or so) to grab Wilkerson. Same approach basically, same type of positive result.

We can amuse ourselves with the passing of time, as we look forward to the draft, but it's really all how Belichick carries out his plan obviously.

I especially love the "I'd trade the 33 and (insert # here) to team (insert name here) for their (insert # here) and next year's 2nd rounder, along with (player name here)" comments, like suddenly we know how all aspects of the draft, specific rounds and trades included, are going to play out Nostradamus style, lol.

I like to keep occupied and have some targeted players, and it's all in good fun anyway, but some of these mocks and comments are rather amusing--as if Belichick himself has any idea whatsoever what will happen. Even Reiss himself claimed that he only hit on one player in the last couple of years, so in my opinion, just picking the right player or 2 is a major victory for me, lol. I am not going to pretend like I have the value chart point system memorized, and predict certain trades, although moving back up to get a targeted player before 28 does seem like a winning idea.

Having an idea about who would make a good trading partner like HOU, as one poster pointed out is a good idea of course, as is keeping an eye on SD, and other teams who are scouting and needing the same type of players. Beyond that, I think you just have to go with the flow, and I think even BB would tell us that one.

I was actually thinking about that same scenario, only using the 17 on an OL, then moving back up to 25 (or so) to grab Wilkerson. Same approach basically, same type of positive result.

We can amuse ourselves with the passing of time, as we look forward to the draft, but it's really all how Belichick carries out his plan obviously.

I especially love the "I'd trade the 33 and (insert # here) to team (insert name here) for their (insert # here) and next year's 2nd rounder, along with (player name here)" comments, like suddenly we know how all aspects of the draft, specific rounds and trades included, are going to play out Nostradamus style, lol.

I like to keep occupied and have some targeted players, and it's all in good fun anyway, but some of these mocks and comments are rather amusing--as if Belichick himself has any idea whatsoever what will happen. Even Reiss himself claimed that he only hit on one player in the last couple of years, so in my opinion, just picking the right player or 2 is a major victory for me, lol. I am not going to pretend like I have the value chart point system memorized, and predict certain trades, although moving back up to get a targeted player before 28 does seem like a winning idea.

Having an idea about who would make a good trading partner like HOU, as one poster pointed out is a good idea of course, as is keeping an eye on SD, and other teams who are scouting and needing the same type of players. Beyond that, I think you just have to go with the flow, and I think even BB would tell us that one.

All good points, and yes, I expect #28 to be traded up or back, since that's the range when the 3rd QB will probably go off.

Just to address one point: We all love Mike Reiss, but scouting isn't a strength of his. Nor should it be. He works tremendously hard to bring us news and doesn't have the luxury to scout players like a good percentage of this board does. Last draft alone about 8 people here correctly called three of the Patriots picks. I'm confident this board does a much better job of calling Patriots picks better than any media outlet out there.

All good points, and yes, I expect #28 to be traded up or back, since that's the range when the 3rd QB will probably go off.

Just to address one point: We all love Mike Reiss, but scouting isn't a strength of his. Nor should it be. He works tremendously hard to bring us news and doesn't have the luxury to scout players like a good percentage of this board does. Last draft alone about 8 people here correctly called three of the Patriots picks. I'm confident this board does a much better job of calling Patriots picks better than any media outlet out there.

I'll agree to your premise that this board does better than any media outlet. In general people here understand the Pat's system (well, as well as people not named BB can) and which players have strengths that can play to this system and team. An unfortunate number of national draft people seem to have very little understanding of various teams, such as how the Pats is different than Pitt, different than another system, etc.

Don't underestimate another advantage this board has, though, which is sheer numbers. If about 8 people got three picks right last year, how many were predicting? a couple of hundred? At some point, insight helps, but the number of predictions on this board might also "guarantee" that a certain number of people get a number of picks right when a good deal of it is still random chance.

17. NE JJ Watt
18. SD Tyron Smith
19. NYG Anthony Castonzo
20. TB Martez Wilson
21. KC Gabe Carimi
22. IND Derek Sherrod
23. PHI Brandon Harris
24. NO Justin Houston
25. SEA Jake Locker
26. BAL Mike Pouncey
27. ATL Stephen Paea
28. NE Ryan Kerrigan
29. CHI Christian Ballard
30. NYJ Muhammad Wilkerson
31. PIT Ben Ijalana
32. GB Nate Solder
33. NE Danny Watkins

I wonder if in this scenario the Pats might be more inclined to go with Wilkerson over Kerrigan. I also wonder if they'd trade up for Houston - and if so, how far would they move up for him?

I wonder if in this scenario the Pats might be more inclined to go with Wilkerson over Kerrigan. I also wonder if they'd trade up for Houston - and if so, how far would they move up for him?

I'm all for doubling up on a position....but doubling up on a position in the 1st round seems unlikely.

I don't see the Pats moving up for Houston. They generally don't move up for linebackers. See them pass on Clay Matthews twice for instance and also the kid in San Fran, Manny Lawson multiple times. The other factor is that if Houston is gone, a very good prospect in Brooks Reed will still be available. I'd like to see him join the Pats sometime in round 2 if possible.

Last edited:
33. NE Danny Watkins[/b] - This pick will almost certainly be traded, but Watkins belongs in New England, and I don't think the Patriots will trade down too far.

Very nice mock. I admit I am in tears to see the Jets get Wilkerson, but with all the QB's available at #33, maybe somebody rolls the dice and dances with BB for the #33 pick.

My hope is BB bleeds them for #33, much like he bled Ozzie Newsome and Baltimore a few years back.

Very nice mock. I admit I am in tears to see the Jets get Wilkerson, but with all the QB's available at #33, maybe somebody rolls the dice and dances with BB for the #33 pick.

My hope is BB bleeds them for #33, much like he bled Ozzie Newsome and Baltimore a few years back.

Move up and grab a real LT in Matt Kalil.

IMHO - NEP need to trade #33 for next years first even if it only gives a 'bonus' of a middle round pick this year. Reason being the last reports for new CBA rookie signing rules would be 4 years max contract for 1st rounder and 3 years (with RFA) for rounds 2-7. Which is why I hope we use our 2 first rounders this year.

In BB's complex defense, seems as it takes a good year for players to learn it (see Chungs & Merriwethers redshirt year,) - then if you get unlucky and an IR in years 2, 3 or 4 - then you have half of the contract in in fairly non-productive term.

Maybe BB will go back to getting wily vets for his complex D. Can't even imagine how productive a round 2-7 player would be - being only on a 3 year contract. By the time he has learned the system then he would be an RFA.

if the new CBA uses those contract legnths - it certainly would hurt a team like Pats / Steelers more than other teams with simple 'attack upfield' defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back