PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tuck Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love raider week because it assures us of tuck talk. if the raiders want to think they got hosed, i'll go along with that. for decades they got away with more crap than any other franchise. it gave rise to al's favorite mantra "just win, baby". well, the first time the tables are turned on them all raider fan can do is ***** and moan how the ref's screwed them. their memories go blank when it comes to all the bad calls that went in their favor. i've even heard the "experts"(see espn) say that the tuck rule won the pats a championship. sorry, that wasn't even the afc championship game. my favorite part is it still bothers them.

And, as always, when this comes up, I point out another fact: if you go back and watch the tape, you'll see that while the rule was correctly applied, it never should have been necessary. Woodson should have been flagged for unnecessary roughness for hitting Brady in the head.
Absolutely. It was a fifteen yarder. Seen a lot less called.
DW Toys

Here is the best rule to cite to any Raiders' fan who is still crying about the tuck rule:

It was nearly seven years ago! Get over it!

Any other response is not worth the bandwidth used to deliver it.

Tell them it was an even swap for the Hamilton/Stabler ridiculous call (How soon they forget) or the flagrant holding call on Russ Francis by Vilipiano in 76. What goes around..........

Last edited:
It's happened multiple times, but because this was a playoff game, it's the only one remembers. It doesn't help that so many media members ignore the fact that it was called before and since, and was a rule that was on the books, and instead say it was 'a terrible call by the ref'. It happened earlier that same season in a Jets game with Vinny at QB, that helped the Jets win. Also looks like it was called a couple times two years ago.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...0174-alright-no-more-tuck-rule-arguments.html

In addition, if it was such a horrible rule/call, then why did the competition committee decide to keep the rule on? Considering whom some of those members are, it would have been a perfect opportunity to stick it to their nemesis, the Pats, by making that victory appear to be tainted.

In this thread there is a link to where Head of Officiating Mike Pereira comments that it is called 12 to 15 times a season.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/165113-tuck-rule-question.html

It's been called a couple of times this season - a couple of times on one weekend as well if I'm not mistaken. It's not a rare rule no matter how much Raiders fans want to convince themselves otherwise, and they can't argue that the competition committee, including Bill Polian had a chance to change the rule and chose not to.

HEHEHE

A friend at work tried to give me crap over this and when I got started he had to slow me down because he was just trying to ruffle my feathers and was not expecting me to go off on a tangent spewing all the facts. I was like NFL Rule 3, Section 21, Article 2, Note 2 and he was like woah woah woah I am just fu**in with ya.

Game 2 of the 2001 season. Jets vs Pats. Close game. Vinnie goes back to pass, Pats sack him, he 'fumbles' Pats recover. Huge. Then the refs gave the ball BACK to the Jets. Us fans in the stands had no idea what had happened or why but that was the Tuck Rule and it helped cost the Pats that game. Well that call and Bledsoe inexplicably yet characteristically tossing the ball directly to an astounded James Farrior, Jets LB. Pats were 0-2 with Drew knocked outa the game late in the 4th QTR.

===============================================

Thanks for the recap, good times.:)

The tuck call in the Pats Vs Raiders game was questionable to say the least, as it turns out it was the correct call.

It could of just as easily of been a non call just like the roughing of the passer. IMHO

I also enjoy how much the Raider fans work themselves into a tizzy over it every time it is brought up.

The Best way to make the argument is to say....If the rule is so bad, why did the NFL decide to KEEP the rule after the play? it was the right call then, it is the right call now, and will be the rule for the forseeable future

Well, it was the NFL competition committee that decided to keep it.

And its lead by Bill Polian of the Colts

And we all know that Bill Polian LOVES the Patriots and Bill Belichick - so its obvious favoritism

;)

Too bad for the Raiders, we had to live with the Ben Dreith bs RTP penalty for decades and the Raiders get the tuck call to haunt them forever, which was the right call as the rule clearly states and the vicious head slap was never called either. Payback's a biotch Raiders.

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Woodson's head slap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back