Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Truth About the Texas Job Creation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Of jobs created in Texas since 2007, 81 percent were taken by newly arrived immigrant workers (legal and illegal).

In terms of numbers, between the second quarter of 2007, right before the recession began, and the second quarter of 2011, total employment in Texas increased by 279,000. Of this, 225,000 jobs went to immigrants (legal and illegal) who arrived in the United States in 2007 or later.

The share of working-age natives holding a job in Texas declined significantly, from 71 percent in 2007 to 67 percent in 2011. This decline is very similar to the decline for natives in the United States as a whole and is an indication that the situation for native-born workers in Texas is very similar to the overall situation in the country despite the state’s job growth.

Of newly arrived immigrants who took jobs in Texas since 2007, we estimate that 50 percent (113,000) were illegal immigrants. Thus, about 40 percent of all the job growth in Texas since 2007 went to newly arrived illegal immigrants and 40 percent went to newly arrived legal immigrants.

Who Benefited from Job Growth In Texas? | Center for Immigration Studies

I'm looking for the article in which Rick Perry rebuts the figures but admits that more aliens, legal and illegal, filled jobs than did US natives.

Gotta run for now but I'll be back.

2. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

The biggest thing that bothers me about Perry is that he seems to think he can run the Country the same way he runs Texas.

Unfortunately for Perry just about every other State doesn't have rich natural resources, hardly any regulations, and a huge majority of republican voters to put the GOP in control of all branches of Government.

The jobs plan he spoke about last night at the debate was all about deregulation, severely handcuffing the EPA, and drilling just about everywhere.

That is 99% of his jobs plan. The other 1% is eliminating corporate taxes of course.

Still can't believe he went after Romney last night for hiring illegal workers. When I hire a landscaping company to mow my lawn I always ask for the "papers" of all their employees :rolleyes:

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

It points to the adage that we are addicted to cheap labor..

4. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Texas is the poster child for cheap labour in this Country. I'm sure all the Company's that frack, drill and goodness knows what else in Texas, love paying people $7.25 an hour with no OT to do all their dirty work.

There is a reason Texas is close to dead last in healthcare coverage for its citizens.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But really, we need cheap labor. America has become so fixated on the idea that there are jobs waiting for every 4 year college graduate to make $75,000 / year. This inflation of education costs futher exacerbates the issue as the graduates need high paying jobs to counter their immediate and often large debt. People need to work their way up, we can't subsidize it or we face fiscal failure... oh... wait...

6. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not with that statement :confused:

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

It is sarcastic, inow it is ok to pay people chump change under the guise of some type of Texas Miracle...

8. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

I'm flabbergasted the federal minimum wage is only $7.25 an hour.

When I was bagging groceries in 1987 I made $3.55 an hour. Back then a gallon of gas was 90 cents, a movie ticket was $3, a pack of smokes was $1.50 etc.