Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Truth About Denial

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Anyone who had read up on the subject knows the overwhelming majority of scientists involved in related research believe that humans are contributing to global warming and that it represents a serious danger. Even the deniers don't always challenge global warming, but challenge instead a specific aspect of the whole argument. The fact that Exxon publicly seeks to pay people $10000 to write articles against global warming shows how aggressively corrupt they are. Nontheless, they are making progress among the ignorant and those who are blindly loyal to the Republican Party.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20122975/site/newsweek/-COVER

Aug. 13, 2007 issue - Sen. Barbara Boxer had been chair of the Senate's Environment Committee for less than a month when the verdict landed last February. "Warming of the climate system is unequivocal," concluded a report by 600 scientists from governments, academia, green groups and businesses in 40 countries. Worse, there was now at least a 90 percent likelihood that the release of greenhouse gases from the burning of fossil fuels is causing longer droughts, more flood-causing downpours and worse heat waves, way up from earlier studies. Those who doubt the reality of human-caused climate change have spent decades disputing that. But Boxer figured that with "the overwhelming science out there, the deniers' days were numbered." As she left a meeting with the head of the international climate panel, however, a staffer had some news for her. A conservative think tank long funded by ExxonMobil, she told Boxer, had offered scientists $10,000 to write articles undercutting the new report and the computer-based climate models it is based on. "I realized," says Boxer, "there was a movement behind this that just wasn't giving up."

If you think those who have long challenged the mainstream scientific findings about global warming recognize that the game is over, think again. Yes, 19 million people watched the "Live Earth" concerts last month, titans of corporate America are calling for laws mandating greenhouse cuts, "green" magazines fill newsstands, and the film based on Al Gore's best-selling book, "An Inconvenient Truth," won an Oscar. But outside Hollywood, Manhattan and other habitats of the chattering classes, the denial machine is running at full throttle—and continuing to shape both government policy and public opinion.

If you think those who have long challenged the mainstream scientific findings about global warming recognize that the game is over, think again. Yes, 19 million people watched the "Live Earth" concerts last month, titans of corporate America are calling for laws mandating greenhouse cuts, "green" magazines fill newsstands, and the film based on Al Gore's best-selling book, "An Inconvenient Truth," won an Oscar. But outside Hollywood, Manhattan and other habitats of the chattering classes, the denial machine is running at full throttle—and continuing to shape both government policy and public opinion.

Since the late 1980s, this well-coordinated, well-funded campaign by contrarian scientists, free-market think tanks and industry has created a paralyzing fog of doubt around climate change. Through advertisements, op-eds, lobbying and media attention, greenhouse doubters (they hate being called deniers) argued first that the world is not warming; measurements indicating otherwise are flawed, they said. Then they claimed that any warming is natural, not caused by human activities. Now they contend that the looming warming will be minuscule and harmless. "They patterned what they did after the tobacco industry," says former senator Tim Wirth, who spearheaded environmental issues as an under secretary of State in the Clinton administration. "Both figured, sow enough doubt, call the science uncertain and in dispute. That's had a huge impact on both the public and Congress."
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Nothing can be said right now to convince the non-believers, a major faux pas of trying to educate people about GW was lost when Gore ran his mouth and did his movie.. that was followed by Left Coasters, i.e. DeCaprio, Cheryl Krowe et al.. Going on Oprah is nice, but no one leaves a bigger carbon footprint than she does. Despite the science, it will be minimized by those who appear to be the spokesmen and women for this. If it was done from a grass roots way, some university folks from a midwestern college.. guys and girls with small carbon footprints, the message would be heard. Unfortunately, no one hears the message because the "so called" messengers are suspect and hypocrites. Whose give an F if DeCaprio uses flourescent lite bulbs and turns off his LED's...does not make much difference if you are living in a 5000+ sq. ft mansion. Gore is an even bigger hypocrite.

Too most folks the whole thing looks like Left Coast Rich White folks hysteria and is not part of their reality.. until the faces change, most will not hear the message.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The whole premise of the article is a strawman, and intelluticually dishonest. No one I am aware says Global Warming or climate change is a hoax. The climate is continually changing has been for the life of this planetn and will continue to change. Whether the climate is warming is a mattter of measurment (although you have to make sure you account for changes in how tempature measurements are made).

The dispute is over whether the observed changes in climate are due to human activities or natural processes that don't involve homo sapiens.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Sorry, as soon as I came to the name Barbara Boxer I stopped reading.

All my life it has been hot during the summer, my Father and my Grandfather have told me that it was HOT during the summer when they were growing up, they used to go swimming in the Ocean and sleep on the porch because it was so hot in the bedroom, no AC in the eighteen hundreds.

This Al Gore building a Brick Cooler--------> :bricks:
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

The righties at first called it hoax, but that line of reasoning failed. Now they are using a different line of reasoning.

There is no dispute, just a very well funded and marketed campaign by some big businesses and Republicans. There are very few deniers, that's why the same names keep coming up again and again.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The 'righties' call the presumption that any global warming was man made a hoax, not the notion of warming itself.

Smear the other side rather than refute the argument the lefties stock in trade. Science is science, by for you everything is politics and who can scream the loudest.

Thaks for making my point about arguing a false premise.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The causation of global warming is clearly still in doubt. The other issue is even IF you assume it's madmade, we may soon become a small piece. Go ahead, smog check my car - but with the growing usage of oil is growing countries who aren't under the Kyoto Protocol - or similar future agreements - our contribution which has been a large percent will be diminishing relatively. And I don't want to take it up the ass while the rest of the world shrugs.

So even IF (which I'm not conceeding to but IF) global warming is largely manmade, there's little that can be done other than finding an alternative energy or if there's some future anti carbon gas that could be disbersed to cancel out carbon effects in the atmosphere (that last option is kind of sci fi but it would be cool).
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Good argument Patters, you're right because you're right :rolleyes:
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

See this is the type of mind numbing, blind idiocy I was talking about in my other post.

It is only a closed minded moron that sees Exxon funding studies and articles as corrupt, but radical environmentalists doing the same have only pure motives and honorable intent. Wouldn't you agree..?

So, in otherwords, Republican versions of you..? :rofl:
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Funny how every time Patters starts a Global Climate Change related thread the righties back-pedal just a bit more. N00bs and anyone who hasn't taken note should do a search and watch the drop in virulence. Its got to be a good 40% by now.

Its nice when progress isn't just progressive; but also humorous.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +283 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Where's the backpeddling ? TURN DOWN THE SUN.
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

how long are you gonna let it continue, Patters? this guy is directly challenging your authority... not sure i've ever met anyone in more desperate need of an ass-kicking than this jackasz above...
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Every time Quiggy's not banned for doing something foul punches another hole in his favorite rant of all. That the board is unfairly moderated.

In my time here the ban scoreboard still sits at:

Lefties 1
    Righties 0
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Your kidding right?

This is no different than the types of insults you put in most of your posts. While Patters is an admin, he doesn't have to be treated any better than you or I. His role is to prevent swearing or personal insults he feels are over the line.
  15. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think a Mr. Rodney King said it best: Can't we all just get alonnnnnng????? (maybe it was David Allan Grier playing Rodney King on In Living Color)
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You mean like"fu-kin sh-t" and "STFU" and WTF"?:D :rocker: :eat1: