PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The truth about Belichick-Mangini flap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a lot more to it dating back to BB advising him against the move, feeling he'd been given quite an opportunity here and hadn't paid his dues yet, some off season inklings that he was trying to lure some staff and players away (like Dwight and Chatham). But I think the Deion BS was the straw that broke the camels back. And I do believe that absent their 11th hour offer Seattle would not have ventured into the fray. Mangini may find out down the line that payback is a ***** when we screw with one of his RFA's tenders or something (they still haven't gotten the union to agree to close that impossible to match loophole Minnesota and Seattle exposed last season).

My favorite line from Czarnecki's ramblings was this:

"Which brings us to 4-5 Green Bay and Brett Favre. If Favre can beat the New England Patriots this Sunday at Lambeau Field, the Pack realistically could reach 9-7. But they have to beat the Patriots. And if the Pack finishes 9-7, you can bet that Favre will want to play next season."

Now if that isn't motivation enough to drive us to victory for the long suffering fans of GB and all those sick to death of watching the Lord Favre farewell tour drag on ad nauseum....

I think Belichick was happy for Mangini at the time, but the signing of players ,and the Deion Branch thing pushed it over the edge..

What a creep Mangini has turned out to be. He stands there and says he values their friendship and is grateful for everything Belichick taught him, all the while he was trying to steal our coaches and our players. Some friend!!

Contrast that with Dave Wannstadt, I remember reading somewhere (maybe on this board) that Wannstadt wouldn't take a job in the same division out of respect for Jimmy Johnson. Now that's a friend!!

As an aside, if it's true that Belichick had to bend over backwards to get Kraft to give Eric a raise, could it also be true that Belichick has had to bend over backwards to get Kraft to sign free agents?

IMO Belichick should let it go, his public attempts to ignore Mangini actually draw more attention to the situation and is red meat for the media types. I also think it's pretty childish and counterproductive.

Brick said:
IMO Belichick should let it go, his public attempts to ignore Mangini actually draw more attention to the situation and is red meat for the media types. I also think it's pretty childish and counterproductive.
Belichick has let it go. It's the media that hasn't.

belichickaholic said:
What a creep Mangini has turned out to be. He stands there and says he values their friendship and is grateful for everything Belichick taught him, all the while he was trying to steal our coaches and our players. Some friend!!

Contrast that with Dave Wannstadt, I remember reading somewhere (maybe on this board) that Wannstadt wouldn't take a job in the same division out of respect for Jimmy Johnson. Now that's a friend!!

As an aside, if it's true that Belichick had to bend over backwards to get Kraft to give Eric a raise, could it also be true that Belichick has had to bend over backwards to get Kraft to sign free agents?

Nah. They do have to run certain concepts by ownership as they do anywhere. If BB wanted to take on a $10M per player Kraft would have to be on board philosophically. Ditto a player with character issues or questions. But other than that BB has carte blanche. Staff is a different matter since paying them doesn't derive from the cap and most clubs like to keep those guys in a scale that reflects their experience and/or senority within a franchise.

Loyalty is a fluid concept in the NFL though. When Charlie accepted the ND job he voluntarily tied his acceptance to their willingness to expect little or nothing from him until our season was over. Romeo was asked to stipulate he would not recruit from this staff - so he waited a year and went after staff and players. But then BB took Charlie and Romeo and several others with him when he left the JETS, and that really fried Tuna. Although given the situation there compared to the one Eric was exiting, it was a pretty different scenario.

I agree though that BB is taking it to an extreme that just makes him look vindictive. My motto is don't get mad, get even. And if you can do it with good humor and a smile, it'll just hurt them more.

MoLewisrocks said:
But then BB took Charlie and Romeo and several others with him when he left the JETS, and that really fried Tuna. Although given the situation there compared to the one Eric was exiting, it was a pretty different scenario.

At the risk of being thought as too picky: When BB was hired as the HC of the NEP in 2000, I believe that Romeo was already Chris Palmer's DC at Cleveland. Plus, didn't Parcells take play-calling duties away from Charlie by the end of the 1999 season? He may not have had much of a future with a Parcells-run ballclub by then, anyway.

My POV on BB vs. EM, is that it directly relates to the Branch fiasco. Why the FO told the Twig's agent to seek other offers is beyond me. Was it honesty, or arrogance? A pox on both houses.

captain stone said:
At the risk of being thought as too picky: When BB was hired as the HC of the NEP in 2000, I believe that Romeo was already Chris Palmer's DC at Cleveland. Plus, didn't Parcells take play-calling duties away from Charlie by the end of the 1999 season? He may not have had much of a future with a Parcells-run ballclub by then, anyway.
You're right about Romeo, he was in Cleveland and fired the next year. Weis sided with Belichick and testified against the jesters in the compensation/contract issue so I am fairly certain he wasn't welcome back in New York.

belichickaholic said:

Charlie Weis says he wouldn't have taken a job in the AFC East because he wouldn't have wanted to face BB twice a year. He never got an offer from the Bills or the Jets but that's what he says.

I don't know why that tampering charge has gone over everyones heads. It will be heard by the NFL at the end of the season.

That is the reason for the hard feelings. If it wasn't for that, you would see a cordial, maybe not warm, relationship.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just posted at JI for the umpteenth time the statement BB released after EM was hired by Jesters, it was very warm and encouraging. Something definitely happened after he was hired to piss him off so bad, it is not just because he went to the Jets.

I have one problem with this item - Czarnecki's previous work has left me big doubts about his ability to stick to facts without embellishing.

Mangini is doing his job, same as Saban, the AFC East owners aren't boxes of rocks - well my buddy Ralph might qualify - and they are trying to win. No surprise they are looking for students of the master to try and figure out where he's vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back