PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The trade deadline cometh... any thoughts? [Warning: Contains Lito Sheppard]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been wondering if we'd see any last minute trades in New England. I think a QB trade is delusional. but anything else is possible.

I didn't know if it warranted discussion until I saw Lito come up on PFT.

ProFootballTalk.com - LITO SHEPPARD UNHAPPY WITH ROLE ON EAGLES

I know earlier we all assumed the cost of one Lito was pretty much equal to keeping Asante. Now we're four weeks in and Lito looks like #3 on the depth chart and not happy about it.

Can he be got for a deal now? Would it help us enough to be worth the loss of a pick or cap space?

I think we're doing "ok" in the corner position - would like to see Wheatley out there though. Wilhite's been sent home (unknown illness). O'Neil was a great pick-up too.

Do you think we'll be looking to shuffle off picks for any positions of weakness or is status quo the more likely position, just watching everyone get coached into better playing shape?

Last edited:
He's light years better than that completion machine Hobbit Hobbs. We can still win if we sure up the Defense. We should have never let Asante Samuel walked knowing what were the alternatives. Lito would fill that Samel's role.

Not if we have to cut our nose off despite our face for a multi-year deal worth an exorbitant amount of cash. So, since that's probably what it will take to get him here, no.

He's light years better than that completion machine Hobbit Hobbs. We can still win if we sure up the Defense. We should have never let Asante Samuel walked knowing what were the alternatives. Lito would fill that Samel's role.

Except the problem with the Pats' defense seems to be over the middle. Unless Sheppard can play safety or LB, I don't know if he shures up the defense. Besides, Hobbs has been playing very well this year. He didn't play great against the Dolphins, but who did.

Except the problem with the Pats' defense seems to be over the middle. Unless Sheppard can play safety or LB, I don't know if he shures up the defense. Besides, Hobbs has been playing very well this year. He didn't play great against the Dolphins, but who did.

That's a very true.

I guess it's true we have good players out there and probably it's just a matter of sharpening up the fundamentals. Not sure about Miami, but in other games the mistakes didn't seem like they were very often ability issues.

It probably couldn't hurt to get a guy like Sheppard, but the consensus seems to be forming that the issue in pass defense is with the safties and middle linebackers.

Rodney and Bruschi are both losing their speed in pass coverage (and neither seems to be making impact plays at the line of scrimmage either). Mayo will likely be a good pass defender, but needs time in the system. Sanders is pretty much a replacement-level player.

If Mayo continues to improve, someone like Guyton gets more of Bruschi's reps, and Merriweather becomes a starter then maybe there will be enough speed to cover the middle of the field.

Don't think trading for a CB is the answer.

(BTW, no disrespect to Bruschi and Rodney. I just think it's time for the kids.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes