Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Top Export for the US in 2011.. Fuel????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 31, 2011.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Interesting story from the Alaska Daily News.. quite a dichotomy, very interesting that our refiners are adequate..

Read more here: Fuel top US export for first time in 60 years: Oil | Alaska news at adn.com
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This says more about the rest of the world's inability to properly refine this junk we're increasingly having to harvest from shale and tar sands. ... We can do so, at enormously higher cost mind you... This kind of story only buttresses the increasingly undeniable fact that peak oil is both a supply and a demand problem, and it isn't 50 years in the future, it is right now.

From the link:

Fuel exports, worth an estimated $88 billion in 2011, have surged for two reasons:

• Crude oil, the raw material from which gasoline and other refined products are made, is a lot more expensive. Oil prices averaged $95 a barrel in 2011, while gasoline averaged $3.52 a gallon -- a record. A decade ago oil averaged $26 a barrel, while gasoline averaged $1.44 a gallon.
    • The volume of fuel exports is rising. The U.S. is using less fuel because of a weak economy and more efficient cars and trucks. That allows refiners to sell more fuel to rapidly growing economies in Latin America, for example. In 2011, U.S. refiners exported 117 million gallons per day of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other petroleum products, up from 40 million gallons per day a decade earlier.
  3. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oil is traded on the global market. It's a fallacy to say any new oil field directly helps one country. That's false, it directly helps 1 oil company sell oil on the WORLD market.

Anyone can swing in and buy that new oil.

This is why I hate listening to Hannity, because he makes people stupid with his rants on the subject as he doesn't tell the whole truth about drilling here.

All Drilling here will do is generate more Tax money for states and the federal government and some jobs. And yes it should in theory reduce the cost.

On 2 proposed Oil fields in Alaska ( previously posted this here years ago ). The amount of Oil they would add to the Global Oil demand in 20 years would have amounted to 7 cents reduction in cost, if the price remained consistent. It took 20 years to bring the 2 fields up to speed. The World Economy would demand more than Alaska could produce in 20 years, making the 7 cents reduction also a fallacy because the demand would have rises far beyond the total oil that those fields could produce.

I am not anti-oil, but I am Pro-honest discussion about our energy needs, and using Math, I know that we will either have less and less oil, or pay more and more for it.

There is no way around that fact. The growth of China and other emerging markets is pushing demand higher than any new oil fields can relieve. Also, it's in NO ONEs best interest to tap all remaining oil fields to relieve the price of oil now, only to have nothing to sell in the future.

People need to userstand, World Oil Market... there is no "Lets not sell our Oil too China"... If we stop selling on the World Market, everyone else will, and Oil will go much higher than that.
  4. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

so very this ^^
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gasoline May Rise Above $4 a Gallon as Plants Shut - Businessweek

“We have a real supply problem ahead this summer because these refineries have not made money and they are shutting down,” Morse said yesterday in a Bloomberg TV interview with Tom Keene. “Summer gasoline is harder to make than winter gasoline, and we could see $4 as a floor price rather than a ceiling limiting demand.”
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

Ah yes ... PressCoverage likes this topic. :cool::cool::cool:
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I may change my screen name to Press Coverage. it's kinda catchy!:D

No one knew "Peak Oil" like 'ol Pressy! He'd squash Titus like bug in a "peak oil" debate.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You don't generally need to "debate" people you agree with. LOL.

I've seen some of his posts in reviewing 13's notorious posting history here. He had a firm grasp on the energy cliff concept. It's too bad the guy isn't allowed to post here any more, as he seemed to hold people like you accountable, and that's sorely needed.

I know the topic of global energy depletion seems extremely unique to people who maintain their life inside a bubble. Thus, those of us who talk about it must all the same person. It's easier to explain it to yourself. But peak oil is not alternative "theory" any more, as the evidence has grown overwhelming. Perhaps anyone who posts here in the future and actually acknowledges the Earth's natural limits must somehow be this legendary banned poster who has left some of you all butt-hurt. Yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes: Or, no, wait... He must be apple-strudel. Or was it reflexblue? Hard to keep up.

Regardless, if you had a counter argument to the known geology and basic arithmetic at the core of this conclusion, you'd present it. At least 13 attempts a counter narrative, wide of the mark as it is. Then there are others who just dismiss it all without diving any deeper and pretend hope and prayer (and ever greater amounts of money) will fix everything.

If anyone has this guy's email address, please send it to me. I'm sure he'd like to return and pick up where he left off, and perhaps teach me a thing or two. Then your moderator can compare IP addresses and people like you can finally stfu.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Wonder what the largest import to the US was....... ;)