PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't help that he hasn't had nearly as much talent around him this year and last as he did the six before. Even at 37, if you think that he's the missing piece—you've got everything else you need to succeed—he's worth a first. Especially given how small his contract is over the next three years.

Except that it would not be a very favorable market for us. If he still is a great QB why would a perennial playoff contender just let him go ? If there is anything that I have learned from watching BB operate the last few years is that he doesn't do "rebuilding mode". You play to contend, always.

Realistically, I think you will not get more than a third round pick outright (that maybe escalates to a second if the team reaches the playoffs).

Apart from the Cardinals I don't see another team that even meets your description. He will not agree to land in an even worse team like the Titans, and we will most definitely not trade him inside the division. And I am not sure if the Cardinals have a more potent offense than we do.

I wasn't as down on Brady's weapons as many, since the true #1 is still working his way back from injury and Edelman and LaFell have looked great to good. After that, though, the cupboard looks empty. Ridley is a fine running back but adds nothing in the passing game, while Vereen - after a few good showings last season - seems to have proven a pretty poor successor to Woodhead and Faulk. Dobson appears to be almost on board the Chad Jackson train, Amendola is totally invisible, and while Thompkins has played well in the games he hasn't been a healthy scratch, he's been a healthy scratch twice. Tim Wright is similarly invisible, though the late acquisition excuses him.

I'm beginning to buy the "offense is way too complicated" argument. The number of talented players who have failed in this system is piling up. It can't just be poor personnel management.

I would say that it CAN be poor personnel management. We have a roster that's way too young to support a veteran QB. We have an army of Rutgers players who didn't win anything meaningful together in college and we now expect them to hoist a Lombardi? Many of us defend BB "reach" choices, but despite some having worked out (McCourty), there's many head scratchers that turn out just how you think (Ras-IR.) And even McCourty is a bit of a story because he's not even playing the position he was drafted to play, which means even that evaluation was off somehow.

My ramblings aside, the thing is that to win championships in this era of football you either need a suffocating defense (we haven't had that in a decade) OR you build around your QB. We've failed to do either of those and running the middle by having a Revis on a poor "D" and Brady on a poor "O" is producing shockingly predictable results.

So it CAN be poor management. (It may also be poor coaching in this case too.)

Just protect him man, just protect him....that is all i ask...at least we got a shot if he has time. No time = no shot

That should be priority one for this team...right now...PROTECT #12...

Brady does not have a good supporting cast, I am not sure other than trading for a OL and WR what we can do to change that but the reality is that Brady is a still capable of being a top 5 QB but we have not put him the position to do so.

I'm certainly disappointed in the failure to address certain aspects, as well as the poor drafting of certain key areas that are also high draft picks. I also did not care for the timing of the Mankins trade. I believe some of these late summer moves (trading Seymour, trading Mankins, acquisition of Haynesworth, trade for Ochocinco) have been terrible.

The play calling on offense is starting to piss me off as well. We see Ridley run for a 7 yard gain on first down, then see failed passes on the next two plays that leads to a crucial stalling of the drive, with only 3 yds needed for a first down.

The passive defensive scheme (overall) has also been quite frustrating. Revis is going to not only look bad in that kind of system, but he's going to be a waste of money and talent as well. Needless to say, I doubt he will want to stay if this continues--although money talks. I don't believe it's a good fit for either party unless they are going to take advantage of his strengths more. I know we saw a good performance vs MIN and OAK, but those are likely the 2 worst teams in the league, so that offsets some of the success in my opinion.

That right there really annoyed me, but it is the norm for McD (and since McD keeps doing it) BB as well, I would think BB would say something about that by now if he didn't agree with it.

This is a Brady thread and while he is aging and slipping it is BB that has let this team down. He hasn't provided Brady with the right offensive tools to get the job done that's players and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes