PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Tom Brady Thread

Okay, let me start this one off because it's inevitable, isn't it?

I'm going to go for pretty balanced here because I feel like my take on this is pretty balanced.

Brady hasn't looked great this year. He hasn't had any super games like he normally does, and he's looked mediocre against mediocre (at best) competition.

Tonight, it was sort of a tale of two halves. I don't think Brady looked terrible in the first half. After the initial three and out, he drove the Patriots down the field a few times. They got stopped on 3rd and short (which has happened an alarming amount this season thus far) a few times, notably on run plays, and were forced to punt. The defense gave up big plays and it was 17-0 at the half, when it could just as easily have been a very manageable 10-0. The offense certainly didn't play well, but it was more about missed opportunities on 3rd down. It happens, football can come down to 3rd downs.

The second half was a different story. Brady had no chance on the strip sack, and that was another 7. 24-0 is a tough climb, and then he threw a bad pick. From there, it just went from bad to worse, and Brady quite honestly played putrid during the 3rd until he left the game. That one play where he threw to Edelman instead of walking for the 1st (my friend texted me to say his geriatric grandfather who needs a walker could have strolled across the line of gain) was pretty demonstrative of Brady's limitations. In general, to a certain extent - he's never been a super athlete - but we also remember the Brady that juked Urlacher and would occasionally run (very slowly) for a 5-10 yard gain. That Brady's not around anymore. I don't expect many scrambles ever again.

In the season's earlier games, there were some (quite reasonable) excuses for poor play. The line was awful, most notably. Tonight, I think the line actually played fairly well - I think it got hamstrung by poor playcalling and a clear tendency to overcompensate by relying on draws for running plays. And, notably, the much maligned (for, frankly, no real reason) Brandon LaFell may have been the best offensive player in white tonight.

And then there's Jimmy Garropolo. He was drafted for a reason, and I think we saw the reason tonight. The ball zipped out of his hands and looked absolutely beautiful in that one drive he led. Yes, it was a defense playing soft. But I was impressed with how fast the ball got out and how well the passes were delivered.

So here's my read: I think Brady's physical skills have deteriorated faster than many of us would have thought. I think he's still got Brady in him, but I think he's got one season, maybe two left in him. I think he'll right the ship, and I think the offense finds its groove, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an early Favre-to-Rodgers type transfer next season. I think we have to prepare for whispers, and perhaps more, of quarterback controversy next offseason. But I still think Brady has time to show - and will show - that he's still got it, even if he's never going to put up MVP numbers again.

But I also really like Garropolo, much more than I ever liked any QB the Patriots have brought in before during the Brady era. His skillset looks great, and I think the team will be in good hands in a couple years. I love Tom Brady, but I can't complain about that.

well said........and i agree with most of it

Yeah, it was a really good presser considering the situation. I felt better after watching it.

In Tom We Trust.

Bill can go to hell until further notice.

Brady's point on figuring out what they have confidence in is key. The team has to start scheming and playing as if they expect their efforts to succeed. And it has to be across the board -- most of the coaches and the vast majority of the players.

In Tom We Trust.

Bill can go to hell until further notice.

The staff doesn't want Tom anymore. It's becoming clear as day. Hope Tom can go to a deserving team and win more Super Bowls. Bb doesn't want Tom. Its clear.

Brady's point on figuring out what they have confidence in is key. The team has to start scheming and playing as if they expect their efforts to succeed. And it has to be across the board -- most of the coaches and the vast majority of the players.

The coaches aren't scheming on purpose. Its a conspiracy but its true. The Brady ride is over in patriots land, unfortunately.

Very well put and written. Not disrespectful towards Brady at all. Brady is my favorite Patriot of all time, without him, this team is still in the abyss with zero championships.

But just like all QBs, time waits for nobody. He's 38, I remember Johnny U as an old QB in San Diego, it was upsetting to watch, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, age caught up with all the greats.

I love him, I'm so proud of his career, but Brady isn't Brady anymore. A few flashes of brilliance may show up one in a while, but Brady isn't surrounded with the stud weapons Peyton Manning has. If he was, quite possibly he would have better results (most likely). But facts are facts, he is surrounded by a mediocre team of washed up has beens and never beens. And the same ****ty defense that makes an old man try to come back. It's a young man's game.

Brady doesn't have that same fire. He's made millions, won championships, and sleeps every night next to the highest paid supermodel. He might as well call it quits before he gets killed and can't enjoy his rich lifestyle. The hunger is gone.

Plus let's face it, the game has passed BB by. He's no longer able to provide Brady with that dominating defense like he did during the championship years. He is no longer that mad genius that stymies offenses. And he's a bad GM. Believe me, nobody is crying for us. We are the 1999 49ers, the dynasty is dead. Luckily we have a great owner that will never let us fall into the abyss again. May be a 6 win team this year, but things will change next year. And I wouldn't spend that cap space on Revis, he looks average.

I feel this is the last season Tom Brady plays in a Patriot uniform.

Very well put and written. Not disrespectful towards Brady at all. Brady is my favorite Patriot of all time, without him, this team is still in the abyss with zero championships.

But just like all QBs, time waits for nobody. He's 38, I remember Johnny U as an old QB in San Diego, it was upsetting to watch, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, age caught up with all the greats.

I love him, I'm so proud of his career, but Brady isn't Brady anymore. A few flashes of brilliance may show up one in a while, but Brady isn't surrounded with the stud weapons Peyton Manning has. If he was, quite possibly he would have better results (most likely). But facts are facts, he is surrounded by a mediocre team of washed up has beens and never beens. And the same ****ty defense that makes an old man try to come back. It's a young man's game.

Brady doesn't have that same fire. He's made millions, won championships, and sleeps every night next to the highest paid supermodel. He might as well call it quits before he gets killed and can't enjoy his rich lifestyle. The hunger is gone.

Plus let's face it, the game has passed BB by. He's no longer able to provide Brady with that dominating defense like he did during the championship years. He is no longer that mad genius that stymies offenses. And he's a bad GM. Believe me, nobody is crying for us. We are the 1999 49ers, the dynasty is dead. Luckily we have a great owner that will never let us fall into the abyss again. May be a 6 win team this year, but things will change next year. And I wouldn't spend that cap space on Revis, he looks average.

Brady isn't the problem. It's the coaches. The coaches don't want Tom here. Is plain and simple now.

Brady isn't the problem. It's the coaches. The coaches don't want Tom here. Is plain and simple now.
It makes a ridicolous story which will sell the newspapers. If BB didnt want him here he wouldve been traded. He isnt afraid of the media or the fans as long as kraft is on board that he needs to put a charade.
They are a bad team with average offensive players and 1st round defensive players who are sucking it up . Somtimes we need to accept our mediocrity to find improvements.

The only thing I can say about Brady is this:

In the last 4-5 years, when things aren't going his way he has started to adapt this angry, pouty face. He didn't used to be like that. He used to gather the offense up and figure **** out. Now he just sits on the bench pouting. Disturbing. Get your poise back, man.

It makes a ridicolous story which will sell the newspapers. If BB didnt want him here he wouldve been traded. He isnt afraid of the media or the fans as long as kraft is on board that he needs to put a charade.
They are a bad team with average offensive players and 1st round defensive players who are sucking it up . Somtimes we need to accept our mediocrity to find improvements.

Why do you only activate 4 wr's and 1 is perfectly healthy. The staff and bb don't want Tom. Plain and simple. Seriously look at the context. Bb wants a Bledsoe moment as someone mentioned. To take the heat off of him and his decision because, whoops Tom got hurt. It's over for Brady in NE, and isn't because of his talent. Brady is still the top QB, but he isn't wanted here.

I'm sorry, Brady is part of the problem. Anyone who doesn't see that is blind. That being said, BB and staff sure haven't helped him in any way shape or form. This is tainting Brady's legacy and it hurts to see, I love BB as well, but I blame him 100% for not giving Brady the best chance to win. BB always says he does things he thinks will give his team the best chance to win, well maybe he's thinking wrong. Because he sure ain't doing anything to help the team win, especially the offense.

That's an assumption you really can't prove. Brady isn't any other player. He is a brand too.

Words are words. Actions speak louder then words. It's over for Brady in foxborough. I can't believe a team would run a player out like this. Its a business and a very filthy, business move. Disgusting.

You know how much hate bb would get for trading Tom. Bb needs an excuse to get rid of Tom. That's either through injury or making his numbers really bad so he can "insert" garappolo.

That's an assumption you really can't prove. Brady isn't any other player. He is a brand too.
Well..it certainly is more provable using BB's history of trading players than the theory that he is being secretly and diabolically phased out at the cost of losing games and an entire season. You cant prove that either but its a more juicy story so you listen to it.

Brady's time is nearing the end and it is painful to watch the QB that got us 3 rings and near 5 rings being treated with these pathetic WR corps of the past few years. It is going to be devastating when Brady retires/is replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back