PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The third defense of the dynasty era is born

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With Hobbs finally gone, a new defense will be born.

Defense #1 2001-2004
The Championship Defense. Faces known mostly as the prime Tedy, Willie, and Ty Law. This ended in 2004 due to Ty Law leaving and the incredible amount of injuries in 2005.

Defense #2 2005- beginning of 2008
A decent Defense known for being mediocre against the pass. All the injuries caused Ellis Hobbs to start rookie year and we never drafted anyone good enough to overtake him. Many JAGS started such as O'neil.

Defense #3 end of 2008-???
At the beginning of 2008, the new defense was partly born with a young kid named Jerod Mayo. The release of Mike Vrabel, departure of Hobbs, signings of Springs and Bodden, Rodney most likely done, possibility of Jason Taylor, and the drafting of Chung, Butler, and Mckenzie, will make this defense a brand new one.

So my question for you, can #3 be BETTER then #1?

Last edited:
Finally the pats revamp the D. Better late than never

I can't believe how massive an overhaul this really is. We're going to have new starters at three or four positions this year, most likely, and all new back-ups as well. I'm really excited, and I think that this is just the infusion of talent that we need to get back to the Super Bowl and win again.

Chung in particular excites me. He's like Harrison back in his prime; admit it, the Harrison of '04 would never have let Tyree make that catch. Chung brings the same savvy, punishment, and relentless leadership.

Ya know, I totally agree that 2009 will mark a new era of the Pats D. Aside from the D line, there are alot of new young players. I'm excited about the D - and I haven't been in awhile.

With that being said, Willie Mac, Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Vrabel - and Roman Phifer off the bench? That's possibly one of the best 3-4 LB corps ever assembled. A totally underrated unit. Players like that don't grow on tress. As of right now, only Mayo can stackup.

Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Milloy playing behind them? Those guys were brilliant too.

Getting that type of talent on the same team at (virtually) the same time? Tough. And they weren't just talented either - they were clutch. Big plays were made at crucial times. We haven't had that in awhile on D.

Last edited:
I agree with the poster who said Chung reminds him of a young Harrison. I've watched a ton of clips and, were it not for the Oregon uniform, I would have thought I actually was watching Harrison fly around making plays.

I'm excited about the overhaul. It was desperately needed. The defense was getting slower and slower every year. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but I think this team will rank in the tops of most, if not all, defensive categories. BB recognizes that the division is stronger, the AFC is probably better going into 2009 than in 2008, and I think he secretly wants to give 19-0 another shot (or maybe that's just me:cool:).

I agree with the poster who said Chung reminds him of a young Harrison. I've watched a ton of clips and, were it not for the Oregon uniform, I would have thought I actually was watching Harrison fly around making plays.

I'm excited about the overhaul. It was desperately needed. The defense was getting slower and slower every year. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but I think this team will rank in the tops of most, if not all, defensive categories. BB recognizes that the division is stronger, the AFC is probably better going into 2009 than in 2008, and I think he secretly wants to give 19-0 another shot (or maybe that's just me:cool:).

You mean all of us! I would love for the Patriots to be the REAL undefeated team ( i know the phins did it but it was 17-0, going 19-0 makes us better :D), but i would rather lose a game or possibly two and win it!! i just want us to win the trophy no matter how we do it!!!

You mean all of us! I would love for the Patriots to be the REAL undefeated team ( i know the phins did it but it was 17-0, going 19-0 makes us better :D), but i would rather lose a game or possibly two and win it!! i just want us to win the trophy no matter how we do it!!!

What sucks is I was saying that all of 2007, then we make it to the big show at 18-0 and I allowed myself to believe it was going to happen. Then . . .:mad:

Bruschi will look more like a grandfather out there this year than a linebacker

What sucks is I was saying that all of 2007, then we make it to the big show at 18-0 and I allowed myself to believe it was going to happen. Then . . .:mad:
There's no guarantee we would have won the Super Bowl had we lost a game or two in the regular season.

I think you are a little premature in yoour assessment. The pass rush is still a major concern.

There's no guarantee we would have won the Super Bowl had we lost a game or two in the regular season.

Thanks Mr. Obvious.;) That wasn't the point, however.

Ya know, I totally agree that 2009 will mark a new era of the Pats D. Aside from the D line, there are alot of new young players. I'm excited about the D - and I haven't been in awhile.

With that being said, Willie Mac, Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Vrabel - and Roman Phifer off the bench? That's possibly one of the best 3-4 LB corps ever assembled. A totally underrated unit. Players like that don't grow on tress. As of right now, only Mayo can stackup.

Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Milloy playing behind them? Those guys were brilliant too.

Getting that type of talent on the same team at (virtually) the same time? Tough. And they weren't just talented either - they were clutch. Big plays were made at crucial times. We haven't had that in awhile on D.

Milloy and Harrison never played together.

i can see this D being a top 5 D in the NFL but better then the D that won 3 SB i dont think so i put that D right up there with pits steel curtain of the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back