Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Texas financial disaster

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

That conservative meccas called Texas has gotten itself into as bad an economic mess as California, maybe worse since Texas has little left to cut after the conservatives cut virtually everything. What's intereresting is that while California's mess was in part due to the impasse between the Republicans and Democrats in their state government, Texas' mess is completely on the shoulders of conservative Republicans who run that state:

What does Texas' $27 billion deficit mean for Dallas ISD? | DALLAS ISD Blog | dallasnews.com

State Comptroller Susan Combs announced this morning that Texas faces a $27 billion deficit, a shortfall that exceeds some of the highest projections in recent months. The consequences could be dramatic as lawmakers likely make big cuts, and educators believe school districts could lose millions in funding.

The Baptist Standard :: The Newsmagazine of Texas Baptists - Texas legislators faced with daunting budget deficit

AUSTIN—Texas lawmakers are faced with a sluggish economy and a budget deficit as high as $25 billion, forcing them to make difficult spending decisions during the legislative session that begins Jan. 11.

Legislators will face pressure to make up for the budget shortfall through a variety of options, including the expansion of gambling, expansion of toll roads and the reduction of aid for children and the poor. Using some—or all—of the $9.5 billion rainy day fund will be hotly debated.

2. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Texas is a sh!thole...just sayin

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -4

It really is. Maybe Austin is nice -- I'd like to check it out. Dallas is OK, but not nearly what they think it is. And Houston is a hole.

At least you can drive faster than many states.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +629 / 13 / -6

#24 Jersey

Never been there....but maybe they planned it that way so you wouldn't have as much time to look around.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +705 / 7 / -2

I love how the people in one part of the country, always seem to think that it's the other parts that suck, and not theirs. I'm sure the people in Texas feel just like you guys do, about the places you live. To me, there's good and bad wherever it is you call home.

As for Texas, I believe they operate on a 2 year budget, as opposed to the normal annual budget most states use, like our own for example (MA). So I think, and I could be wrong here, that the total is for that 2 year period. Texas also has over $9 billion in a rainy day fund it can use to help plug the gap.

I don't know what Texas' long term liabilities are, but I'm pretty sure California's are worse. I believe California's unfunded pension liabilities alone are half a trillion dollars. :eek:

7. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -4

Of course -- otherwise many of those people wouldn't live there still. There's also a difference in some places b/t being a good place to live v. a good place to visit. Houston may have nice suburbs, for ex -- but visiting for the Super Bowl? What a tragic choice of cities (though better than JAX).

(otoh, the tourists I see strolling along the beach outside my house every day sure seem to be enjoying it :) )

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +705 / 7 / -2

There are always lots of variables. No place is perfect. A lot will also depend on what part of a state you live in, as well as what your financial condition is. One thing I've never understood though, is when people feel some sort of need to defend the place they live, or attack a place they don't. Not that everyone does either, but it's always made me laugh a little bit.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -4

Yes to all those. LA is far from my favorite place, for ex -- many pros and cons to it. (and "LA" is far from being just 1 place, for the reasons you point out)

OT: Personally, I just hate Houston from the Super Bowl and work visits and hate how great Dallas people think Dallas is, having been there a lot for work, too. I haven't read Bill Simmons much the last few years, but his take on Super Bowl venues is right on -- New Orleans, Miami, San Diego (maybe Tampa?) only. No Houston, no Detroit, no JAX, etc. Just those few. :)

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The ultra-liberal California's problems are far above and beyond anything Texas has. Texas is like a guy who lost his job and had to buy things on credit for a few months. California is like Bernie Madoff and the entire house of cards is crumbling down.

But all these states - and the federal government - are suffering from the same problems. When times are good, the pols make budgets with projected revenues and projected expenses. Then times turn bad and all of a sudden, the revenue is less than expected and the expenses are greater than expected.

11. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well yeah - if I lived in MA like you, I wouldn't understand people defending it either. :)

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's especially hilarious is all these people attacking a place when I'd bet many of them probably haven't spent 10 days in it in their entire lives.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -4

You realize that California has very liberal areas and very conservative areas, right? While the state overall without question leans left, ultra-liberal really isn't accurate.

The state's problems are as you say, however -- and that's thanks to pols and factions on both the left and the right.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +299 / 3 / -4

How much are you betting? :)

15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,463 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Those damn conservatives and their 8th grade education .............:rolleyes:

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +394 / 15 / -14

The point is that conservatives attempted to use California's financial mess as an example of liberalism run amok (which actually isn't accurate at the state level, where a Republican government and a Republican minority legislature regularly fought Democrats to a draw), so let's look at Texas, where the financial problems can unequivocally be pinned on Conservatives, who control all the reigns of government.

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't consider Texas anywhere near as Conservative as a state like North Dakota which, by an incredible coincidence, has a balanced budget - even during these tough times.

What are some blue states with balanced budgets? Tell us, which states are the ones liberals are running that we should all pattern ourselves after?

18. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Hater........

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 15 / -29

Another source, while there is mindless rhetoric about who or what is worse.. makes no difference, Texas was hailed as a model.. they also receive one of the highest percapita return from the federal government...

a greater than 25% deficit is very high...

There's One Huge State Budget Crisis That Everyone Is Refusing To Talk About

20. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +291 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Yeah, and Indianapolis and New Jersey! Oh, wait....

:bricks:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011