PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The technical term for Caldwell's condition is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Exopthalmos.

Definition :
"Exophthalmos is a bulging of the eye anteriorly out of the orbit. Exophthalmos can be either bilateral (as is often seen in Grave's Disease) or unilateral (as is often seen in an orbital tumor). Measurement of the degree of exophthalmos is performed using an exophthalmometer."

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Exophthalmos

Actually I'm not sure that his condition is THAT serious, but I heard the word used on the international spelling bee, and I thought of Caldwell right away. LOL.

Yea, I can't picture Caldwell without those eyes. So is it a bad disease or something, that might need treatment? I haven't heard anything about this, so I am just curious if there is something bad about it.

There might be. Evil "Ben" on LOST has the same condition.

Exopthalmos.

Definition :
"Exophthalmos is a bulging of the eye anteriorly out of the orbit. Exophthalmos can be either bilateral (as is often seen in Grave's Disease) or unilateral (as is often seen in an orbital tumor). Measurement of the degree of exophthalmos is performed using an exophthalmometer."

Actually I'm not sure that his condition is THAT serious, but I heard the word used on the international spelling bee, and I thought of Caldwell right away. LOL.

It must be genetic. His younger brother has those same eyes.

Sometimes he looks totally normal though.
5934.jpg

It seems it only happens when he is concentrating or is nervous or something.

I'm worried that one day, Reche's going to catch a ball and someone is going to lay a hit on him so hard that his eyes are going to pop out of his head.

I thought it was :

"diarrhea
di·ar·rhe·a
–noun Pathology. an intestinal disorder characterized by abnormal frequency and fluidity of fecal evacuations."

I'm sorry, I know he had a good season and a huge catch in the SD game. But I can't get over two insanely bad drops in the biggest game of the year. A few of you will yell at me but he sh!t his pants.

I'm worried that one day, Reche's going to catch a ball and someone is going to lay a hit on him so hard that his eyes are going to pop out of his head.

Cincinnati game, and he was fine. He got hit really hard. I was worried, but then he was fine.

I thought it was :

"diarrhea
di·ar·rhe·a
–noun Pathology. an intestinal disorder characterized by abnormal frequency and fluidity of fecal evacuations."

I'm sorry, I know he had a good season and a huge catch in the SD game. But I can't get over two insanely bad drops in the biggest game of the year. A few of you will yell at me but he sh!t his pants.

In the game before that against San Diego, the previous "biggest game of the year", he was hugely important in a very positive sense. It's sad that the only "biggest game of the year" that you're remembering is the Colts game, particularly since he was solid catching the ball all season long and by no means the biggest reason for the loss to Indianapolis.

In the game before that against San Diego, the previous "biggest game of the year", he was hugely important in a very positive sense. It's sad that the only "biggest game of the year" that you're remembering is the Colts game, particularly since he was solid catching the ball all season long and by no means the biggest reason for the loss to Indianapolis.
I know but it is what it is and it was what it was.

I think Belichick told us exactly how he felt about the WR we had last year with what he's done this offseason.

I agree, the SD catch was great and clutch.

So Caldwell makes 1 out of 3 Playoff-Fate-Hanging-in-the-Balance catches. Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not for me, and probably not for BB either.

I agree, the SD catch was great and clutch.

So Caldwell makes 1 out of 3 Playoff-Fate-Hanging-in-the-Balance catches. Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not for me, and probably not for BB either.

Hmmm.... Brady waited too long to recognize how wide open Caldwell was and blew an opportunity to make that a touchdown pass. He later followed this up with an interception to end the game. The year before he decided to throw to Champ Bailey instead of a Patriot receiver.

So, using your logic:

in the past 3 years, Brady has avoided the game killing interception in 1 of the 3 final games of the year. Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not for me, and probably not for BB either. I'm sure that Belichick is looking to move Brady for a better quarterback as we speak, right?

Hmmm.... Brady waited too long to recognize how wide open Caldwell was and blew an opportunity to make that a touchdown pass. He later followed this up with an interception to end the game. The year before he decided to throw to Champ Bailey instead of a Patriot receiver.

So, using your logic:

in the past 3 years, Brady has avoided the game killing interception in 1 of the 3 final games of the year. Maybe that's good enough for you, but it's not for me, and probably not for BB either. I'm sure that Belichick is looking to move Brady for a better quarterback as we speak, right?
I'm so tired of this Brady BS comparison.

Do yourself a favor, go and look at stats of dropped passes per year for WR then compare it to incomplete or intercepted passes by QB. The argument is BS.

A good WR has few flat out drops each year, meaning less than 10, maybe one every two games.

Then think about these names :

Moss. Stallwaorth. Welker. Washington.

Put 2 and 2 together to see how Belichick feels about it.

Last edited:

So, using your logic:

The logic almost makes sense... except that it's a lot harder to replace a franchise QB than a WR that would be 2nd or 3rd string on most other NFL teams.

I'm not even sure that Caldwell would be good enough to be our #3 WR this year.
Moss, Stallworth, Welker are all probably ahead of him coming into training camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell was gone. Doug Gabriel fumbled that ball in the Jets game which shifted momentum to New York's side and they ended up winning, and Gabriel was cut before he even got off the plane home.

So, using your logic:

I used logic. You are using an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Here is my logic:

1. Caldwell had an average regular season. Any merely competent NFL-caliber WR would have had similar production in his situation.

2. Gaffney signed mid-season; by the end of the season and in the playoffs, he looked like the better WR.

3. Caldwell had two huge drops in the AFFC. I know a loss is a multivariate situation and one single play does not account for it, but if he makes either catch there is probably a 90% chance NE wins.

4. NE signs the top WR free agent in Stallworth.

5. NE trades a 2nd & 7th for Welker.

6. NE signs Washington.

7. NE trades a 4th for Randy Moss.

8. BB says there is a place for Troy Brown on this team.

I add all that up and it tells me that BB is not happy with Caldwell and is planning for a future without him.

Edit:

P.S. And no, I'm not happy with Brady's performance in the last few big games. It's not good enough for me, and I can guarantee you it isn't good enough for Tom Brady. But to compare him to Reche is silly and you know it. Brady has already proven himself over and over in the clutch.

Last edited:
Exopthalmos.

Definition :

I think it's "Marty Feldman Syndrome". I don't think he could catch a pass either ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Feldman

To me, Reche Caldwell was one the MVP's for the Patriots in 2006. He was brought in to be a #3 or #4 WR and he outperformed his expectations.

Sometimes, I think that fans judge a player on other factors (such as style, personality, etc). If you really want to make a comparison, let's judge how Tedy Bruschi performed against expectations last year. Caldwell over performed and gets ripped. Tedy played behind the best front 3 on earth, played mediocre, was late to the play all year long and no one says a thing.

To me, Reche Caldwell was one the MVP's for the Patriots in 2006. He was brought in to be a #3 or #4 WR and he outperformed his expectations.

61/760/4 ?

What were your expectations? As I said, any competent NFL WR thrust into the WR1 role for this team would have matched (if not bested) these numbers.

And I strongly disagree he was brought in as the WR3 or 4. I think he was clearly signed to be the #2 WR with the thinking Branch would remain our #1.

Sorry to harp on like this, but Caldwell is one of my current Pat pet peeves. ;)

I'm so tired of this Brady BS comparison.

Do yourself a favor, go and look at stats of dropped passes per year for WR then compare it to incomplete or intercepted passes by QB. The argument is BS.

A good WR has few flat out drops each year, meaning less than 10, maybe one every two games.

Then think about these names :

Moss. Stallwaorth. Welker. Washington.

Put 2 and 2 together to see how Belichick feels about it.

Hmmm.... and have you looked to see how many "flat out drops" Caldwell had last season? Go check that out before you give me that "BS" bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots